Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 PM

170 posts, read 496,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I know the place far better than I'd like to know it. It's not a horrible place. The E. Detroit school district is a cesspool according to a lot of locals. Many choose Warren Woods, Lakeview, or Roseville schools of choice, though Roseville schools are little better. East of Kelly and south of Stephens is in the S. Lake district which is as far as I know academically sound.

Home rentals in the city are usually overpriced, with brick ranches renting for up to $1000 a month for no good reason. Apartment rentals are usually reasonable, although some apartment houses are much better than others, and the roach motels are sometimes next door to the very nice buildings. Houses are still being constantly foreclosed, there are some incredible deals and the area is pretty good for $50K.

It's not a thoroughly unsafe city- there are robberies, thefts, and burglaries, and the police cars are often seen speeding down Nine Mile. Most of the property crime (and some of the violent) occurs at houses on corner lots. Chrysler automobiles not bolted down to the ground do get stolen, but your car is much safer than it was a few years ago. However, trucks are experiencing gasoline thefts. Also, beware of the dogs if you go out walking- Mace cans are sold at Meijer in the sporting goods aisle.

Many blocks are still acceptable places to live and raise a family, but right down the street, it's Detroit with better code enforcement. (Drive down Brittany or Rosalind Avenues from Ten to Nine Mile and you'll see what I mean. Rats are plentiful, the alley cats are well fed. The property taxes are a bit high for what little you get.

It's not truly a tolerant place of minorities- there's a lot of haters but they keep it to themselves. It's not like next door in south Warren where crosses get burned on occasion. On the other hand, DWB used to be a punishable offense- I don't know if they've let up on that at all.

On the whole it's not terrible for the money, definitely better than south Warren, but you won't be bragging you live there. For a few bucks more a month, St. Clair Shores or Fraser are superior in every way, or even brick areas of Harper Woods, where the city services are great. I know, I could have been more upbeat, but I'm not with the Chamber of Commerce.
I thank you for the honest reply. If I decide to pitch my tent in Eastpointe I'll be sure to stop in the sporting goods aisle at Meijer
Tell me,what is this "DWB" you mention?

P.S. Never mind about DWB. I just googled it. Understood
Were you talking about it being a punishable offense in Warren or EP? I know Warren had(has?)a terrible reputation for that but wasn't aware Eastpointe suffered the same affliction.

Last edited by rucks; 05-01-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,908,374 times
Eastpointe received federal scrutiny over racial profiling in the early 2000s.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:09 PM

Wow! I'm a news junkie and somehow I don't remember hearing about it.
Oh well,once the memory starts to go........

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,838 times
Well, I'm personally on the fence about Eastpointe. The 8-8/12 quadrant seems the nicest. I know you're probably saying at this point, "8 Mile, Really?"; but it's sheer irony. Eastpointe, oddly enough, seems to get worse the further north you go.

My advice is stick to the eastern and southern borders of the city. When my mother could no longer afford to live in Hazel Park, most of her house shopping was in Eastpointe between Toepfer and Stephens. I'll tell you this - I'm just glad we didn't move there.

You'd really have to detail where you'd live in Eastpointe.

I've never lived in Eastpointe, so my experience is probably not the most valid; but from what I've seen, East Detroit was a much more suitable name.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Well, I'm personally on the fence about Eastpointe. The 8-8/12 quadrant seems the nicest. I know you're probably saying at this point, "8 Mile, Really?"; but it's sheer irony. Eastpointe, oddly enough, seems to get worse the further north you go.

My advice is stick to the eastern and southern borders of the city. When my mother could no longer afford to live in Hazel Park, most of her house shopping was in Eastpointe between Toepfer and Stephens. I'll tell you this - I'm just glad we didn't move there.

You'd really have to detail where you'd live in Eastpointe.

I've never lived in Eastpointe, so my experience is probably not the most valid; but from what I've seen, East Detroit was a much more suitable name.

Without going into specific detail I'm looking at a few places between Melrose and Saxony.
What can you tell me?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,004,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
Without going into specific detail I'm looking at a few places between Melrose and Saxony.
What can you tell me?

Well this same poster said areas of St Clair Shores aren't safe to walk in the day time so you really should take his advice with a grain of salt.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,283,106 times
I lived on Rein from 1963 to 2003. When I left, it was still ok on that street. I lived between 9 Mile Road and Toepher. Went to school there and it was fine, but that was in the 70s. Now it is totally different. I have not even driven through there since 2004. I sold my moms house in 2004 for $83,000. Now it would probably have gone for a lot less. The road needed to be fixed in certain spots. I am sure they have not fixed it.
Yes Eastpointe was in the news about racially profilling. It was on the news a lot. I believe it was in the late 80s early 90s.I think they were even picketing outside of city hall.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

426 posts, read 1,283,106 times
I lived on Rein from 1963 to 2003. When I left, it was still ok on that street. I lived between 9 Mile Road and Toepher. Went to school there and it was fine, but that was in the 70s. Now it is totally different. I have not even driven through there since 2004. I sold my moms house in 2004 for $83,000. Now it would probably have gone for a lot less. The road needed to be fixed in certain spots. I am sure they have not fixed it.
Yes Eastpointe was in the news about racially profilling. It was on the news a lot. I believe it was in the late 80s early 90s.I think they were even picketing outside of city hall.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Well this same poster said areas of St Clair Shores aren't safe to walk in the day time so you really should take his advice with a grain of salt.

St.Clair Shores unsafe to walk in the daytime????
What's the poster drinking??

Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
St.Clair Shores unsafe to walk in the daytime????
What's the poster drinking??
I thought the same when I first saw it. My Aunt lives in the 'bad part' of SCS (there's a foreclosure with an overgrown lawn! GASP!), and I feel perfectly safe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit