Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

DH is borderline hypoglycemic and not overweight (5' 5", 130 pounds). The doctor said he might be pre-diabetic.

He gets light-headed, either from low sugar or from meds (unrelated) or a combination. We are trying to think of some good snacks or other dietary changes that would help.

He already eats every few hours. These are his typical foods:

Breakfast: dry granola and one boiled egg
Lunch/Snacks: 1-2 granola bars (really 2-4), 1-2 apples, almonds, cheese or tuna sandwich (half at a time)
Dinner has four parts:
1. salad with ranch dressing
2. meat: chicken breast, turkey, salmon, or pork chop (won't eat any visible fat)
3. vegetable(s)
4. brown rice with soy sauce, sweet potato, or lentils

(We've added the egg, the almonds, and the lentils during the past year.)
He drinks mostly water, and sometimes decaf green tea, unsweetened.

He does not eat tomatoes or tomato sauce, citrus fruits, most milk products, garlic, or anything spicy; he does not use butter or salt on his food.

Can you think of any good snacks or other dietary suggestions? Anyone else told they are pre-diabetic but with low blood sugar and not overweight? (What's happening here? Pancreas going crazy before it quits?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Many Type II diabetics went through a hypoglycemia stage first. I was told that if I didn't watch my diet I would end up with diabetes. I didn't and I did.

To most, a crash follows a period of high glucose. Is he cheating? It only takes a little. The protein bars might have too many carbs. A diabetic educator limited me to 6 servings (15 grams each) per day, ideally less; and I weighed about 195 at that point so he might need less.. Forget about calories and sugar, just count carbs. EVERYTHING has carbs, very sneaky. Get a glucose meter and have him test about 2 hrs after eating a meal. that will tell what's going on. Also, when he feels dizzy, have him test. If he's in the normal range, then it's the meds.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Good advice SBIU, i'll also say Go to your local pharmacy and get a glucose monitoring device and some test strips and start checking his blood sugar a couple of times a day, if he's pre diabetic it will show up rather quickly..
When i was diagnosed as being pre diabetic at 45 i should have taken it more seriously as at 50 i was pronounced diabetic, now at 63 i'm taking many drugs to combat the condition and having to watch calories is akin to giving up smoking..
Having diebetes is no fun as it slowly eats you alive.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:
DH is borderline hypoglycemic and not overweight (5' 5", 130 pounds). The doctor said he might be pre-diabetic.
Interesting topic I am around your husband's weight and I was told I am "pre-diabetic". I don't see how since I am a vegetarian, but I guess I eat too many carbs. I also saw a nutriental coach and she told me to cut down to 150-200 carbs a day. Sometimes I keep track and sometimes I don't.

Quote:
Many Type II diabetics went through a hypoglycemia stage first.
Really~? I've heard many vegetarians talk about this when I use to go to a festival/convention in PA years ago.

Quote:
Go to your local pharmacy and get a glucose monitoring device and some test strips and start checking his blood sugar a couple of times a day, if he's pre diabetic it will show up rather quickly..
I wasn't told to check mine, just watch my carbs. I love breads and eat a lot of it, but not like I use to. I found an app on my new phone to keep track of my carbs. It is helping for me somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes