Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times

Advertisements

Here is a little info for those that need/want more info. As the article states "Some diabetics experience mental changes with blood sugar that is minimally low, while others can experience much lower levels before having symptom" my husband would be one of the people who experiences no symptoms until his blood sugar reaches around 58. Which at that point all of his symptoms seem to kick in at once (ie agitation, sweating profusely, lethargy, confusion, etc). However his low blood sugars tend to happen at night so I usually am woken up by the fact that our sheets are soaked in sweat (sorry not a nice picture).

Read more: Diabetic Shock Symptoms | LIVESTRONG.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
What often can happen with Type 1 diabetics is low blood sugars can come on suddenly and with little/no warning.
Which is exactly why insulin dependent diabetics should NOT be allowed to drive or operate machinery.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM

That is pretty ridiculous.

As I have stated previously my husband has been diabetic for 28 years and he has never had an incident. Each and every diabetic is different, you can not pigeon whole them all in to one group. According to what you are saying why not disallow people with a heart condition, cancer, and a variety of other illnesses should also not drive. Shoot people with heart conditions could have a heart attack at any moment....we shouldn't let them drive either. Or perhaps we should ban brunettes or red heads etc from driving.... How many drivers without diabetes have accidents everyday? Probably if you look into it you would find more people without diabetes have accidents on a daily basis that what diabetics do. Maybe we should also stop them from driving? Sounds pretty foolish doesn't it? However it doesn't sound anymore foolish that what you are suggesting.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-17-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Quote:

As I have stated previously my husband has been diabetic for 28 years and he has never had an incident. Each and every diabetic is different, you can not pigeon whole them all in to one group. According to what you are saying why not disallow people with a heart condition, cancer, and a variety of other illnesses should also not drive. Shoot people with heart conditions could have a heart attack at any moment....we shouldn't let them drive either. Or perhaps we should ban brunettes or red heads etc from driving.... How many drivers without diabetes have accidents everyday? Probably if you look into it you would find more people without diabetes have accidents on a daily basis that what diabetics do. Maybe we should also stop them from driving? Sounds pretty foolish doesn't it? However it doesn't sound anymore foolish that what you are suggesting.

I was thinking the same thing and I agree with you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-17-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 06:12 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:

Amen! Could not have said it better myself.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-17-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 12:23 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I was thinking the same thing and I agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Amen! Could not have said it better myself.
I understand where you are coming from but to paint all diabetic with the broad brush of only your personal experience is a fools goal. It won't work and it doesn't fit.

I'm diabetic which has recently caused me to stop driving at night or in cities so it is true that not all diabetics should be driving.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-17-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I understand where you are coming from but to paint all diabetic with the broad brush of only your personal experience is a fools goal. It won't work and it doesn't fit.

I'm diabetic which has recently caused me to stop driving at night or in cities so it is true that not all diabetics should be driving.

Wasn't really sure what you were referring to, but no not all should drive, some have multiple issues and do not take good care of themselves thus resulting in complete lack of control of their blood sugar which can result in numerous other issues. However to automatically say all type I diabetics should not be able to drive is ignorant. Not all Type 1 diabetics are made equal, as I stated my husband has Type 1 for 28 years and has not had an issue while driving, however he does have issues during sleeping times with low blood sugar. Just because someone is Type 1 does not mean they will ever have an issue, could they yes absolutely but then again a non diabetic could easily fall asleep, have a health issue, become distracted etc just as well. The only person who should be able to tell a diabetic that they can not drive should be a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes