Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,755,842 times

Advertisements

I was just prescribed Victoza. tomorrow i do my first injection(doc gave me my first this AM)

i didn't feel any pain from it at all this AM but I am a bit apprehensive about breaking the skin myself (when i do a fingerstick i simply push the button and the lancet breaks the skin)

i see you should collect the used needles in a container. what do those who take Victoza do with the used needles in the container when disposing of them?. the directions tell you not to put it in the household trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,942,330 times
My pharmacy issued me a red plastic container. When full, I took it back to them and got a new one. Most hotels will give you a biohazard container as they don't want employees exposed to needle sticks from trash.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:34 PM

my pharmacy doesn't have them. can i get one at Target? i can always use an empty detergent bottle or an empty coffee can (directions say it's OK) but what do you do with the container when it's full?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM

20,993 posts, read 28,553,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
my pharmacy doesn't have them. can i get one at Target? i can always use an empty detergent bottle or an empty coffee can (directions say it's OK) but what do you do with the container when it's full?
When my uncle was alive he used empty detergent bottles when he was taking insulin, but then his pharmacy started carrying the red bio hazard containers and he used them.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,759,798 times
Quote:
I was just prescribed Victoza. tomorrow i do my first injection(doc gave me my first this AM)

i didn't feel any pain from it at all this AM but I am a bit apprehensive about breaking the skin myself (when i do a fingerstick i simply push the button and the lancet breaks the skin)

i see you should collect the used needles in a container. what do those who take Victoza do with the used needles in the container when disposing of them?. the directions tell you not to put it in the household trash
Clean off an area of your upper arm with an alcohol wipe, raise your arm, hold the pen up with the needle pointing down onto your arm and gravity will glide it in by itself; you won't have to "break" the skin. Hold firmly and press the plunger with your thumb. It will be tight.

You can use an empty detergent bottle for the needles. After the bottle is full, mark it DO NOT RECYCLE and tape it up. You'll need to check with your borough or municipal office as to what their procedures are for pen disposal.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

thanks a million. you are saying that once the needle touches the skin it will just go in even further beneath the skin surface?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,759,798 times
Quote:
thanks a million. you are saying that once the needle touches the skin it will just go in even further beneath the skin surface?
Yep! The needle is so tiny, it slips in. If it doesn't slide in, move it to another spot. Let gravity and the weight of the victoza pen do the work.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 PM

I might actually look forward to this...

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM

how long does it take for the Victoza to start working? I had a small breakfast, took 850 mg of metformin, took the Victoza injection 30 minutes ago and my sugar is now 145. should it be lower or should i give it time?

everything went as it should have as indicated in the manual. i held the button down for 6 full secs and the dose # went back to 0 from .6. there was some victoza on the tip of the needle both before and after the injection as indicated in the manual. if for some reason the injection was not effective, is it dangerous in any way for me to have received the injection yesterday (by the doc) but not today?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM

probably is working cause i'm now down to 127

i bought the biohazard container but they say not to cap the needle. instead they tell you to manipulate the needle off the pen into the container which is something i don't like cause i don't want to damage the pen so i am using a coffee can instead(which the victoza manual says is OK)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes