Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,663,628 times

Advertisements

First do you guys have a some suggested blood sugar levels?

I have searched and found some with different numbers.

Either way, last Saturday I woke up with horrible symptoms. My arms and hands real sore like I slept on them. Along with my legs hurting. My hands are kind of numb and I lost some fine feel. Like holding a pen and writing is hard, turning the key infusion ignition, etc.... Same on Sunday same on Mon and tues.

I saw a doc on Monday, typical take some vitamins, do blood work. Had to fast but did bloodwork this morning.g waiting.g for results. I have done a little legwork myself. I have worried about a blood sugar issue in the past, and I am overweight and have a poor diet, real bad recently, lack of sleep, lots of stress.

So I bought a cheap blood sugar tester. I hadn't eaten for about 6 hours and got a 77 which seems to be o. The lower side. I also ate a crappy meal some Easter candy and a bowel of icecream with soda. Something not way off from a bad night of eating, with some extra sweets.

2 hours later I hit a 167. My question is I have seen charts say under 180 is fine at this time and others that say 140.

I was curious if you guys could help clear it up. I plan to monitor it and keep a log, and inform the doc.

I am worried my symptoms could be diabetes related, or even fibemyalgia or something else. But my body isn't working, my hands aren't working and it tremendously affects my work I haven't been to work yet. Trying is wrong.

Once again yes I am seeing doctors and will follow their orders but there is waiting of course, and I need to get into a back to work phase ASAP and I can start a longterm fix for me.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM

Another one I wanted to add was I had a morning "fasting" of a 87.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,908,801 times
The numbers you have given aren't all that abnormal and the 87 is good. I would think that your symptoms might be due to something else but your doctor will have to review everything. The best measure of your blood glucose is a test called HbA1C, which measures a 3-month rolling average of your glucose. You have to be fasting for most lab work and that test may take a day or so to get back, depending on where it is done.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The numbers you have given aren't all that abnormal and the 87 is good. I would think that your symptoms might be due to something else but your doctor will have to review everything. The best measure of your blood glucose is a test called HbA1C, which measures a 3-month rolling average of your glucose. You have to be fasting for most lab work and that test may take a day or so to get back, depending on where it is done.
Yeah I was leaning towards that as well. I obviously will wait for the doctor's orders.

I am starting to feel a bit better and regaining more use/feeling of my hands especially my right. Still not 100% I work with my hands and welll been home from work the last 3 days, and its been 5 days since I started, trying to get a head start on the.. take a test, wait for results, prep for test take this, etc....

If it was something related to blood sugar I could try and eat and maintain a healthier blood sugar.

For now I don't want to change "normal" habits too much until I am fully diagnosed.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:31 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,756,429 times
If your "normal" habits are what you said you eat, you have to stop eating like that and start eating healthy and try to get rid of the extra weight. Your body will thank you for it. Don't wait for the doctor to tell you something is wrong to make this change.

Here are a couple of links [to click on] for additional information for you to read while you're waiting for your results:
Blood Sugar 101
Diabetes Daily - A better life starts today.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM

That is the high end of normal, I purposely loaded up on bad crap to do a sort of stress test onmyself. It has kind of shown I do not have a horrid blood sugar problem on my worst day. Which is good.

I have bad habits yes. I had a bad "something" still seeing doctors about it. Until this something is figured out I don't want to throw extra variables into the equation by changing my habits too drastically.

Once we diagnose the problem I will treat it.

My life has been hectic the last year or two, my health has not been near the top of my priorities. I know I need to change it. Had plans to once a big project at work was finished. My body appears to say something else so I am starting to now.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
Americans' normal eating habits are actually horrifically bad all-around.

Mark Hyman, MD: 8 Steps to Reversing Diabesity

Old 03-15-2012, 04:08 PM

17,567 posts, read 39,228,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Americans' normal eating habits are actually horrifically bad all-around.

Mark Hyman, MD: 8 Steps to Reversing Diabesity
That's a great article - makes lots of sense. I have it bookmarked now.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM

64 posts, read 376,936 times
I'm an Insulin dependent Diabetic, and for me, I know that I have to very carefully focus on what I eat - because, for me, it does effect my glucose numbers , and I know that If I have a Pizza and pasta dinner, I'm going to pay the price when I check my glucose the next morning. It wasn't until
I carefully did some "meal planning" and made significant food choices that I saw a really nice change
in my glucose numbers. I'm on Insulin in the morning, and at night. I'm also on Metformin in the morning and at night. But if I don't watch carefully or don't make the right food choices, I'm going to
suffer. My numbers dictate whether or not I have to Increase my insulin each day. Insulin is very expensive (Lantus Flexpen). So I have to keep my numbers down.

My Endocrinologist wants my numbers under 140 (130 on a good day). My A1C went down from 7.8 to 6.2. I'm thrilled!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 PM

176 posts, read 351,171 times
167 at 2h is pretty high for a normal person and suggests you've some insulin resistance, that you're on the road to diabetes. Your fasting numbers are normal- but those are the LAST to go bad. Take the the high 2h # as an early warning call (I'm guessing you're around 30 given your user name?) and act now. Many people never get that warning until they show up in the doc office with 300 fasting blood sugars or at the ER with 700.

The other symptoms, if they were related to diabetes, would only come after being a full diabetic for many years. You've something else happening there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes