Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
so what is the right carb amount? I'm still trying to get the hang of this. I'm waiting to hear back from a diabetes educator that my dr recommended. I've been doing alot of reading but its pretty overwhelming.

What I've gathered so far is carbs per meal should be 40-60, though I see most stay around 30. With that said, is 150 a good target?
The target should be per meal, not per day. According to the American Diabetes Association:
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...carb-counting/

Quote:
A place to start is at about 45-60 grams of carbohydrate at a meal. You may need more or less carbohydrate at meals depending on how you manage your diabetes. You and your health care team can figure out the right amount for you. Once you know how much carb to eat at a meal, choose your food and the portion size to match.
Yes, this does come to around 150 carbs per day. But you can't eat zero carbs all day long, and chow down on 150 carbs for supper, if you have diabetes or are at risk for it. You need to pace your consumption.

And, as the quote states - it depends on how your diabetes is managed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
Makes perfect sense. I've been doing less each meal and it's just going to take time with new meds before I see results. I just wanted to make sure carb wise I was on the right tract.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My diabetic educator limited me to 90 carbs per DAY, or 30 per meal. It's not as bad as it sounds if you eat meat and veggies.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM

I feel like I've been living on salad the past couple days while trying to figure this out. good grief

Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
Quote:
so what is the right carb amount? I'm still trying to get the hang of this. I'm waiting to hear back from a diabetes educator that my dr recommended. I've been doing alot of reading but its pretty overwhelming.

What I've gathered so far is carbs per meal should be 40-60, though I see most stay around 30. With that said, is 150 a good target?
I eat to my meter. That is, I test my blood sugar at one and two hours post meal. At one hour your blood sugar should be 140 or below and at two hours it should be 120 or below.

I've been low carbing for 3 1/2 years and my blood glucose is near normal levels. When I was first diagnosed (type 2) my fasting was around 500 and my A1c was over 17. It's now 5.2 to 5.8 (5.8 if I've eaten more carbs than usual or have been sick).

I try to keep my carbs 6 or less at breakfast, 12 or less at lunch and 12 or less at dinner. I do eat snacks but keep them low carb (nuts, deviled eggs, pickles, olives, cheese, Breyers CarbSmart ice cream, sugar free pudding by Jello (in the cups, dairy case) with whipped cream, and dark chocolate (the darker the better).

I'm never hungry. Dana Carpendar has some wonderful low carb recipe books available, and there's hundreds of recipes online. Heck, I just had a slice of cheesecake. . Made with cream cheese, heavy whipped cream (or sour cream plus a little sweetener) and an almond flour crust that tastes just like a Graham cracker crust. Mmmmm. Lol. I even shaved a little dark chocolate on top and dusted it with unsweetened cocoa. . I found the recipe for the crust over at diabetes daily.com in the food and diet section--wow, there's sone great recipes there! One of my favorite recipes is for Scalloped Green Bananas. Tastes just like Scalloped Potatoes. My fussy son had three helpings last time I made them, lol.

I love things like mashed cauliflower made with cream, butter, cooked bacon pieces and cheese. .

And I feel absolutely great--that's the important thing. .

Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM

295 posts, read 832,121 times
Quote:
I feel like I've been living on salad the past couple days while trying to figure this out. good grief
I felt like that at first too. It gets easier, it really does. But really, don't starve and don't live on salads. you'll never be happy with this way of life if you do.

Here's a sample of the type of meals I eat:

Breakfast: three egg omelet made with cream, butter, mushrooms and cheese with a bit of tomato, coffee with heavy cream. If I'm not hungry or in a hurry I'll grab a couple hard boiled eggs.

Snack: a few berries with walnut pieces, topped with whipped cream

Lunch: lunchmeat and cheese, several slices of each. Coke Zero. Sugar free sweet pickles, a few olives
Or, if I'm out I'll have grilled chicken or a burger, no bun.

Dinner: chicken or beef ( I love chicken or steak topped with cooked mushrooms and onions and Monterey Jack cheese), mashed or riced cauliflower (or scalloped green bananas, lol), another veggie or small salad.

Dessert: well, tonight I had my low-carb cheesecake but sometimes I'll have a piece of low-carb fudge (I make it myself) or a sugar-free Jello pudding cup with whipped cream, chopped nuts, dusted with Hershey's cocoa or finely chopped dark chocolate. Or a sugar free jello with whipped cream.

Snack might be a deviled egg, or cheese or nuts or berries (not too many!).

This is just an example. You should always "eat to your meter" and find what works for you personally.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I didnt know what to start with when it came to eating. Your menu sounds extremely doable. I will check the websites you mentioned. I love to cook and bake!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Veggienut, Ezekiel bread is way better toasted and when it is I prefer it to other breads.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM

178 posts, read 355,287 times
i'd suggest you to go for whole wheat bread or brown bread, stop eating white carb like plain flour, white rice, pasta and things made up of any of these. cut back on sugar! drink plenty of water, have 2 to3 cups of green tea a day, use lean meat, eat sea food, vegetables, fruits, beans & lentils. this can be consider as low in carb diet !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes