Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,052,533 times

Advertisements

I think I am getting the hang of eating a low carb diet since I was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic". I was keeping track on my android phone with a program that is link to a website online, but I hardly do that anymore since it is so-o time consuming. Everything I buy, I check the carb content. I make sure I buy some sugar free items too, but now and then I don't (like cookies and jello). I hardly eat bread and was eating crackers, but so much of the bread and crackers have "soy" in it and I need to stay away from "soy" also. If I do buy bread, I go to "Whole Foods" and purchase their home fresh breads. I did find some breads in the freezer that don't have soy in it. It is "Ezekiel". Anyone eat this brand~? It's not so great like the other bread I mention, so I am slow on eating it. Do any of you all eat a low carb diet~? Do you eat any breads or have a desire for them since you switched~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM

17,411 posts, read 16,560,898 times
I'm eating a lower carb diet, not necessarily a low carb diet. I eat lean meat, fish, vegetables, low sugar fruit, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, some beans. And I limit breads, pastas, rice, grains and strictly limit sweets. I drink mostly green tea, water, carbonated water, black coffee.

I like a lot of the whole grain varieties of bread out there, but they aren't necessarily low carb. I don't much care for actual low carb bread, so I don't eat it. Honestly, I'd rather have a lettuce or cabbage wrap. I'm going to try substituting roasted eggplant for bread on my sandwich this week (I haven't done it yet, but I think it's going to be good).

Old 06-04-2012, 02:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,039 times
I've stopped eating bread since being diagnosed but I have found a wrap that is 10 carbs with 7 fibers so i like using them and you can't beat it for an actual 3 carb total. For myself, eating bread now woud be not so good as it is a real trigger food for me.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM

295 posts, read 833,249 times
I've been eating low carb with great success for the past three years, ever since my diagnosis.
Yes, I occasionally eat the Ezekiel bread but only occasionally. Ezekiel is made using sprouted grains and for that reason it doesn't spike me. I especially like the cinnamon raisin. Mmmmm
As with all foods, it's important to teat frequently (ESP. 2 hours post meal) and "eat to your meter" readings.
I don't even miss higher carb foods anymore.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
I've been eating low carb with great success for the past three years, ever since my diagnosis.
Yes, I occasionally eat the Ezekiel bread but only occasionally. Ezekiel is made using sprouted grains and for that reason it doesn't spike me. I especially like the cinnamon raisin. Mmmmm
As with all foods, it's important to teat frequently (ESP. 2 hours post meal) and "eat to your meter" readings.
I don't even miss higher carb foods anymore.
I went to a local health food store tonight and got a loaf of Rudy's bread. This has no soy in it, and I need to stay away from that now I'll look for the cinnamon raisin next time I need some bread What is "teat" or did you mean "eat"~? I don't need to check my blood sugar. I am not at that point nor was I told to by my physican. Just told to watch what I eat and stay away from potato and coke. I drink "Coke Zero" but hardly drink it.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 AM

295 posts, read 833,249 times
Lol, that's my iPad's fault, I hit the wrong key. I meant test, not teat. Rofl!
I test frequently in order to see which foods don't spike my blood sugar.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 PM

85 posts, read 143,434 times
My Dr also didn't think I needed to be tested. But how do I know what I'm eating is doing to my blood sugar if I'm not testing? I'm the one that has to live the consequences, not the Dr. Fortunately she didn't put up a fuss when I insisted on a script for a meter/strips, and my insurance covers it even though I'm pre-d (some won't for pre-d). If your Dr or insurance won't cooperate, Walmart's Reli-on is pretty good, and the cost of the strips is about half of the brand names. You really should be testing before/after you eat to see how your food choices is affecting your blood sugar!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,941,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catzkc View Post
My Dr also didn't think I needed to be tested. But how do I know what I'm eating is doing to my blood sugar if I'm not testing? I'm the one that has to live the consequences, not the Dr. Fortunately she didn't put up a fuss when I insisted on a script for a meter/strips, and my insurance covers it even though I'm pre-d (some won't for pre-d). If your Dr or insurance won't cooperate, Walmart's Reli-on is pretty good, and the cost of the strips is about half of the brand names. You really should be testing before/after you eat to see how your food choices is affecting your blood sugar!
Seriously, you are spot-on with this. I was lucky because my dad has a meter, so even though my insurance initially wouldn't cooperate, I grabbed my dad's and went to town. What I found astounded me - I was spiking up pretty high from pretty much any non-berry fruit and almost every grain I tried. Even too many legumes will do me in. Without the testing, I would have been totally clueless. So I got extremely serious with my diet and my blood sugar readings went down considerably and I feel great. On top of it all, I broke a 3-yr weight loss plateau. It made me mad, so I did a written appeal to my insurance company and they finally did consent to pay for my own meter (I did pay my dad back for all those pricey strips!)

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzkc View Post
My Doctor was more concerned with me being newly diagnosed with "hypothyroidism" than being newly diagnosed with "Pre-Diabetes". Apparently, one one gets out of whack it is followed by another health issue. I was a bit shocked about being diagnosed by both at the same time, but I wasn't concerned until my numbers went up on my "Pre-Diabetes" scale. I've never had health issues until last year or so, and everything under the sun has hit. Now today, I was in the office and had to have a scan of my neck.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,543,368 times
so what is the right carb amount? I'm still trying to get the hang of this. I'm waiting to hear back from a diabetes educator that my dr recommended. I've been doing alot of reading but its pretty overwhelming.

What I've gathered so far is carbs per meal should be 40-60, though I see most stay around 30. With that said, is 150 a good target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes