Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times

Advertisements

is there anything i can do to prevent "The Dawn Phenomenon" of sugars rising during sleep? today was "good" at 116 upon awakening (but unfortunately it had not moved at all 3 hours after waking) but unfortunately i am above 120 many mornings. this could be (tho im not sure) why i have issues with nausea and poor appetite mostly in the AM?

would you recommend a Victoza shot right before bedtime maybe instead of after dinner? or maybe a supplement (will call Willners right now to inquire)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Since it is a bioligical event, not much you can do except control your diet. You seem to focus on any and everything except your diet. Why not get strict with that and see what happens?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
When I worked evening shifts I would eat a protein/fat snack before bed, 1-2am and it seemed to help. But who can always do that??

Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM

this AM my glucose was 116 which is good for my AM readings. normally they are higher like in the 130's. 3 hours later it did not change from 116. i had eggs and canadian bacon and some oatmeal but not a lot. no toast i cut that out and never ate a lot anyway. i took 2 metformins after and an hour later my glucose was 175. that is too high. i took a victoza which will bring it down but still i don't like this. i have made changes i no longer have potatoes with my eggs and i watch my carb intake especially breads and starches.

when glucose goes that high (170-180) can it cause nausea or is that still not high enough?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM

295 posts, read 832,281 times
I would suspect the oatmeal causing a spike. I know I can't set it--far too car by for me, especially in the morning. For me, I eat a breakfast containing 6 or less carbs. Anything more and I spike.

As for the nausea...could be the metformin or the Victosa. My neighbor had to discontinue Victosa due to the nausea it caused her. It could be the high reading but I personally doubt it. Depends on your body tho, 'cause everyone is different.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM

ive been on the metformin since 2007 (tho im probably on the max dose now) and victoza since last year. they never caused me any significant nausea (unless i took metf without enough food) so wouldn't i be used to them or do you think i can suddenly become intolerant?

my sugar did come down to under 100 in the hours after my sugar wouldn't come down from 116. i just had a chicken wrap and i noticed im at 87. ive noticed that wraps don't seem to spike like other breads like rye. i guess ill stick to wraps. but i have to supplement my eggs with something better than oatmeal or potatoes.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Try this: take one metformin with breakfast, take second metformin with lunch, take your victoza injection at dinner.

This kept my morning numbers at or below 100.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
When do you test your AM levels? If you test immediately upon awakening, that number will be less than if you move around first. If you first get up, go bathroom, brush teeth, etc, etc ... then test, well, that's where the dawn effect kicks in. Its best to test even before getting out of bed. You might want to do a comparison.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
ive been on the metformin since 2007 (tho im probably on the max dose now) and victoza since last year. they never caused me any significant nausea (unless i took metf without enough food) so wouldn't i be used to them or do you think i can suddenly become intolerant?

my sugar did come down to under 100 in the hours after my sugar wouldn't come down from 116. i just had a chicken wrap and i noticed im at 87. ive noticed that wraps don't seem to spike like other breads like rye. i guess ill stick to wraps. but i have to supplement my eggs with something better than oatmeal or potatoes.

Try lo-carb tortillas, I've found them at HEB.

Also, how was the chicken wrap made? Or is it the MCD version? If the MCD, get the grilled chicken, not the crispy. That little bit of breading can spike you!

Are you taking Metformin, or Metformin ER? I've found the ER = extended release---much easier on the stomach.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM

the turkey wrap was from a diner, not from McD's. i tear off all the excess from the wrap and only eat the part that is wrapped around the turkey inside. my sugars seem fine after i have the wrap and after having taken my meds

the metformins are regular and a pharmacist told me i can cut them in half since they're not ER. its hard for me to swallow them whole sometimes because they're so big

ive always liked plain non fat yogurt and always thought that just because it wasn't flavored that it was "better". unfortunately looking at the sugar and carb content, not really true. this was my favorite pre bedtime snack but this could have been part of the reason for my readings above 120 upon awakening. last nite i didn't have any yogurt and i was at 106 this morning. very true what they say about diet. label reading is very important and one can't rely on an "image" of a particular food being "healthy" just because it seems that it might be. plain yogurt may be healthy for a non diabetic but for a sugar/carb sensitive type like myself, its not good at all

i use the glucerna bars or shakes when i get hungry in between meals. they work well and my readings have been good with those. the shakes are perfect for when i can't tolerate solids due to nausea which has been somewhat better since ive been mixing GABA with magnesium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes