Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times

Advertisements

In my case, to get my prediabetes under control, I tested like mad. I keep/kept a detailed log of what I ate and what it did to my sugar. It almost felt like introducing new foods to a baby, I started with single foods, and then gradually combined them, playing around with the combinations to see the effect on my sugars. Sure it was costly, but now I know. Everyone reacts differently to the carbs.

I used this website for guidance in diet along the way: Blood Sugar 101

Basically, in a nutshell, the lower I keep the carbs, the better off I am. My A1c dropped from 6.2 to 5.2 by being very meticulous with my diet. I also upped my exercise, some cardio but lots of strength as well. I feel absolutely wonderful and am very close to my ideal weight now. I did have a slip over the winter when I got a bit lax with my diet, and it was amazing how poor I felt in spite of the exercise I was doing.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
I'm also pre-diabetic, as my physician told me. Could craving of bread (or other carbs) and numbness of fingertips be a part of this~? Anyone else experience this~?

Old 08-03-2013, 02:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
doubtful that prediabetes would cause numbness unless youve been prediabetic for a very very long time and you are very sensitive to minor elevations

cravings for bread neither here nor there

Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

139 posts, read 351,443 times
ask your doctor if he feels it would be beneficial to see a nutritionist who specializes in diabetic counseling

Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
Exclamation Oh NO~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut74 View Post
ask your doctor if he feels it would be beneficial to see a nutritionist who specializes in diabetic counseling

I saw a nutrient counselor like when I first was diagnosed. If I can get in touch with her, I will. I also found this and was a bit shocked:

10 Common Symptoms of Diabetes | ActiveBeat

Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I saw a nutrient counselor like when I first was diagnosed. If I can get in touch with her, I will. I also found this and was a bit shocked:

10 Common Symptoms of Diabetes | ActiveBeat
Yeah -- first -- I absolutely despise those screen slide shows that make you read three words while the take forever to load all their widgets.

Second -- I had NONE of those symptoms, and I have diabetes. And a large number of them aren't just diabetes -- I had dry itchy skin and fatigue with hypothyroidism.

Although I figured out my cat had diabetes from the frequent trips to the water bowl.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
From what I've been reading in medical journals on studies that are effective in reducing/reversing metabolic syndrome and pre-diabetes and diabetes, I've learned this:

Modify diet by

--reducing/eliminating highly processed carbs (the white carbs in baked goods such as cookies, breads, cakes, pies). Replace with whole grains which can include wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, barley, bulgar. If unfamiliar with these, as I was, whole grains, grab a cookbook and learn or consult with a good health food store or a nutritionist.

--eat lots of vegetables/fruits in their natural forms. But beware of potatoes and corn.

--Reduce sugar and high fructose corn syrup; eliminate sugary drinks such as soft drinks, "fruit" drinks made from little fruit but lots of sugar, pre-sweetened ice tea, etc. Run away from baked goods, donuts, etc.

--Eat small amounts of skinned chicken and lean red meat. Choose instead fish, beans, nuts, tofu and such for protein sources.

Follow a regular exercise program.

Thirty minutes a day on a treadmill or a brisk walk can do the trick.

The result? You can reverse your pre-diabetic, metabolic syndrome--or even reverse your diabetes.

Here's one study that discusses this:

3-week Diet/exercise Study Shows 50 Percent Reversal In Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes

3-week Diet/exercise Study Shows 50 Percent Reversal In Metabolic Syndrome, Type 2 Diabetes - Medical News Today

Old 12-14-2013, 09:34 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
Recent Type II here. Was put on Metformin and don't think I am going to be able to tolerate that medication at all......wow, up 24 hours after just day 1, up all night long, it acted as if I had taken a laxative that you take prior to a colonoscopy.....it was literally that bad......and not only that, my stomach was super sensitive to anything consumed today. Now, late evening, the upset is fading. I'll try tomorrow one more time, but there's no doubt I am having an adverse reaction to the medication. I'm on the lowest recommended dose, too. Cardio exercise is not possible, I'm also a candidate for knee replacement, with no cartilage in in my knees. I do try to keep as active as possible, don't have handicapped stickers and walk when I can.....but anything with stress on the knees is out. I'm not overly happy, I know Metformin is suppose to be weight neutral, even aiding in the loss in some cases. (And if I kept up, I am certain I would be in that group, but I don't think I can handle the constant stomach upset). To be continued, meanwhile, I will check out those links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes