Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have diabetes?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,737,830 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have type two diabetes and take pills right now but in the future I will be having to take shots.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 PM

5,785 posts, read 11,470,979 times
Adults should have their glucose level checked as part of every regular health checkup. My doctors office sends blood samples to a lab for testing of all the metabolic factors. I fast at least 12 hours before the appointment. My glucose was 73, which is in the normal range of 65 to 99. 100-125 is considered borderline. Above 125 is considered diabetic.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM

23,036 posts, read 34,475,135 times
My daddy was type II dietetic. So I know you must take care of your feet! I'm sure you already know that but it's very important and please be careful what you eat. You will be just fine, but you must take care of yourself!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,106,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I have type two diabetes and take pills right now but in the future I will be having to take shots.

John
Are you seeing an endocrinologist? My husband is diabetic and his glucose levels were creeping up higher and higher while on 2 or three meds. His dr. was going to put him on insulin and that's when I revolted! Made him an appt. with my former endocrinologist for a thyroid condition. We just wanted a 2nd opinion, but ended up making her his primary care for diabetes. She changed his meds a couple of times and he's been doing so well ever since.

Unfortunately during that time of just depending upon his primary care doc, he also had some heart conditions and has been in 3 times for stents. His cardiologist told me definitely the heart disease was because his diabetes was not well controlled for several years. But for the past year now, everything is good!

I would definitely recommend anyone who's been diagnosed with DM to make an appt with and Endocrinologist. If something can be done to reduce your chances for shots, it's worth the 2nd opinion -- or permanent change.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 AM

11,857 posts, read 34,547,043 times
Diabetes is the leading cause of heart disease. Also you need a dilated eye exam every year.

Know the signs of onset:
Great thirst
Uncontrollable hunger
You act belligerent if you haven't had a meal in a while
You get headaches if you haven't had a meal in a while
You vision changes drastically

There are test strips you can buy at a pharmacy

Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,099,919 times
My husband has diabetes but controls it through diet and exercise and self-control.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,190,190 times
You need to know which type of DM you have. Type II is easier to control with diet and exercise but you have to be religious about it and test your sugar in the AM before you eat and then 2 hrs after you eat so you can gauge what foods you can have or which to avoid that day. Control is the key to not having complications.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,190,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Diabetes is the leading cause of heart disease. Also you need a dilated eye exam every year.

Know the signs of onset:
Great thirst
Uncontrollable hunger
You act belligerent if you haven't had a meal in a while
You get headaches if you haven't had a meal in a while
You vision changes drastically

There are test strips you can buy at a pharmacy
I get very very nasty if I don't eat every few hours and I may even start trembling a little and feeling like I'm going to drop (hypoglycemia) but I don't have diabetes. Have been checked a few times. There's also hyperglycemia.

Thirst is not always an indicator as neither is frequent urination. It all depends on the individual. Headaches are "usually" related to high blood pressure and High BP & DM can go hand in hand.

If you are diagnosed with diabetes, the first thing to do is to see a endocrinologist and nutritionist and get on a strict meal plan and have regularly scheduled meals. The second thing is to have your eye exam to rule out any diabetic retinopathy. If there is none, that exam will be your baseline and you have a better chance of having ANY small changes picked up that much earlier and obviously stop or delay disease progression.

Best advice, get your routine blood work and lipids testing at least once a year. And it needs to be a fasting blood.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,368,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Best advice, get your routine blood work and lipids testing at least once a year. And it needs to be a fasting blood.
Get down to a healthy weight, exercise (that means get active in SOME way), no cigarettes, make your dinner plate a colorful palate rather than monochrome white, drink plenty of water, and have a Hemoglobin A-1-C (CRP and CPK at least once) drawn. Work with your healthcare provider - be he or she a MD / NP / PA.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:03 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,737,830 times
Hi, Cookeville has only one endocrinologist. It's very hard to get him as a doctor because of the waiting list for him. So I have my family doctor take care of my diabetes.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes