Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have diabetes?
Yes 51 50.50%
No 50 49.50%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
1/2 teaspoon of *CASSIA* CINNAMON will lower your blood glucose levels as much as 25% within a month, but it must be *cassia* cinnamon.

Taking Chromium 6 - 600mcg daily will help to control both blood glucose and lipids.

Alpha lipoic acid in combination with Evening Primrose Oil will reverse diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage).

Eyebright, Vitamin E, and a Zinc lozenge daily will help to protect your eyesight.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2, I had been eating a vegan diet for 43 years (I was 55 when diagnosed). The balls of my feet and all my toes were completely numb, but four months later they had regenerated and were perfectly normal.

I was already legally blind due to a rare form of maculopathy, which had nothing to do with diabetes, so my central vision (35% of one's visual field)did not improve, but my peripheral vision, within three months, improved to the extent that my prescription glasses from a decade earlier worked perfectly for me, and my new glasses were far too strong. I was thrilled!

My 1st HbA1c at diagnosis was 6.9 and my second one, four months later, was 5.4, and I stay within the 5 - 5.4 range by adhering to a strict eating program (no more than 30 carbs per day) and exercising moderately using a mattress. Moderate exercise is the best I can do, as I am confined to a wheelchair and have multiple injuries as a result of a serious car crash several years ago.

My lipids (fats) are consistently good, my muscles are in excellent shape, my skeletal frame is still a mess, but I literally feel twenty years younger than at diagnosis, and I even had my menstrual cycle try hard to start up again, but that didn't last for long, thank The LORD!

My morning blood pressure reading is usually in the neighborhood of 105/65 and my pulse hovers around 60. My morning blood glucose (BG) fasting level ranges from 3.5 to 4.7 according to my glucometer, but many factors conspire to produce an accurate HbA1c, and even the best domestic glucometers allow for a 20% margin of error, and they usually err on the low side, I've found.

I'm a naturopath and so do take other supplements, but the aforementioned are all specific to the needs of a diabetic. I would counsel your father not to self-medicate, even with supplements, but to seek the advice of an endocrinologist and/or naturopath who specializes in diabetes, as we're all individuals and what works well for one may do harm to another. It is vitally important that your doctor is familiar with, not only diabetes, but your unique physiology, or in this case, your father's.

Hope this helps.

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

When giving advice people should really differentiate between Type 1 and Type 2 as having Type 1 is a whole different ball game than having Type 2. My husband has had Type 1 (brittle form) for 28 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

Last edited by sherrenee; 09-25-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:05 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Diabetes is the leading cause of heart disease. Also you need a dilated eye exam every year.

Know the signs of onset:
Great thirst
Uncontrollable hunger
You act belligerent if you haven't had a meal in a while
You get headaches if you haven't had a meal in a while
You vision changes drastically

There are test strips you can buy at a pharmacy
I had none of these signs. There wasn't even a hint that I had developed Type 2 diabetes in my late 50s till my doctor asked me what my reading was the morning of my appointment. I was completely confused! Then, she said, "You have Type 2 diabetes." I do?!

I still don't know why the change occurred.

She put me on Glyburide, and I seemed to be OK for a while. Then, readings began climbing. She started me on Metformin, but the results were not much better. She then was pushing me to go on insulin. It seemed I was getting worse, with no signs of improvement.

During an attack of acute pancreatitis that landed me in the hospital for a week, doctors and nurses all were pushing me to start insulin, but I continued refusing. When I got home, my blood sugar levels were insane: 300s to 400s~totally uncontrollable, not helped by my prescriptions! No matter what I did, the readings wouldn't come down.

Desperate, I went on-line and did a lot of reading then started ordering. I can't guarantee this for others, but Glucocil and Sugar Equilibrium II gave me readings that are amazing my doctor. She actually said, "Amazing!" when she saw the calendar I was using to list my minus-prescription readings. It might not work for a lot of others, but my readings are so much better, including lower spikes; and, I don't feel sick and dizzy nearly all of the time. I'm even losing weight without effort. I thought I was going to have to give up and start insulin, especially after damage to the pancreas.

I do not have any of the above-listed symptoms, but then I never did. I swear I felt so much worse on Glyburide and Metformin. This is just applying to me. I'm sure those drugs might help others and that insulin might be necessary. I'm just so happy that I don't have to go on the needle.

I also swapped Butcher's Broom for the ineffective Furosemide. I can't guarantee it for others, but people meeting me after these alterations in treatment comment about how changed I seem. "You're so much more~alive!" one person told me. Even my doctor says, "You're so different now!" Hooray! If prescriptions work for some people, good for them! They did not work for me. I especially like that my blood sugar doesn't plummet anymore whenever I'm not able to eat for a while or skyrocket during the night.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:26 AM

19 posts, read 17,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
My husband has diabetes but controls it through diet and exercise and self-control.
Yeah, it is the same with me. I don't take pills or anything.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 PM

112 posts, read 112,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie13simpson View Post
Yeah, it is the same with me. I don't take pills or anything.

That's absolutely the best way to handle diabetes. I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes and subsequently subscribed on Metformin on June 23th, 2014. Immediately, I turned to the esteemed ADA diet and followed it TO THE LETTER for a few MONTHS, failing to get my blood sugar below 140. I started to panic, fearing the worst for my health, and turned to my doctor, who effectively told me to, "get used to it, you'll be on metformin your whole life until you graduate to insulin". The pharms had failed me, so I turned to my own research. That following April 13, i discovered this ebook 7 Steps to Health & The Big Diabetes Lie Review | Popular Ebook Reviews I read this book from start to finish the very night I found it. Everything the author said made perfect sense to me as a diabetic. I started the program the next day and in the morning I measured my blood sugar - IT WAS AT 100! The following days, sticking to the plan, i lowered my blood sugar level to the 90’s and now i have a fasting blood sugar between Mid 70’s and the 80’s. And guess who is no longer a slave to metformin?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
but Glucocil and Sugar Equilibrium II gave me readings that are amazing my doctor. .....

I also swapped Butcher's Broom for the ineffective Furosemide.
I've been diagnosed for 8 years and on Metformin/Glipizide since then. I am controlling my BG with these meds and a low carb diet.

I am curious... What are some of your readings? Fasting? Post Meal? Do you restrict carb intake at all?

Also what do you take the Butcher's Broom for?? I hope that is not too personal..

Thanks

Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
I have Diabetic Retinopathy but I’ve never been diagnosed as a type II diabetic to date. I control my glucose levels mainly by diet and taking some supplements aimed at my eyes.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 05-10-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 12:02 AM

8 posts, read 5,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I have type two diabetes and take pills right now but in the future I will be having to take shots.

John
hi,
i read your thread, i also have type-2 diabetes,now i am control this problem through proper diet,doing some phyical activity,which is used to control this problem,but not fully cured.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I'd probably be a diabetic.....but I have adapted to eating what most would consider very-low-carb, as in 40gms or less a day.

I have taken my blood-sugar, on a quiet consistent basis, for about the last 15 - 20 years. I have seen my blood-sugar as high as 300 and as low as 60.......have had a LOT of very strange
blood-sugar readings.

My opinion is, a lot of Humans are NOT well-suited in eating the level of carbohydrates that they do....and this results in many of them eventually developing diabetes and/or other carbohydrate metabolism disorders.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I'd probably be a diabetic.....but I have adapted to eating what most would consider very-low-carb, as in 40gms or less a day.

I have taken my blood-sugar, on a quiet consistent basis, for about the last 15 - 20 years. I have seen my blood-sugar as high as 300 and as low as 60.......have had a LOT of very strange
blood-sugar readings.

My opinion is, a lot of Humans are NOT well-suited in eating the level of carbohydrates that they do....and this results in many of them eventually developing diabetes and/or other carbohydrate metabolism disorders.
Just curious, what makes you think you are not diabetic? Any reading of 300 as far as I'm concerned is a full blown diabetic. Have you consulted with a doctor about this?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:49 AM

396 posts, read 512,545 times
My husband was recently officially diagnosed with Type II after going back and forth with his A1c results for over a year. He never had the first problem until he was placed on a statin post MI, then his blood sugars and triglycerides skyrocketed. Should add that he is slightly underweight and has always had low blood pressure. He is a non-smoker and physically fit although his physical activity has taken a hit recently because he's feeling so lousy.

We don't eat junk food so our diet really hasn't changed since his diagnosis. We did have a consultation with a dietician who reiterated that no changes were necessary. He has been prescribed Metformin which he takes bid and I monitor his blood sugars. Those have gone down (of course) since his diagnosis but are sometimes way too low and he doesn't feel as good as he did before.

In his case, I tend to blame the statin for causing this problem and I discussed that with his cardiologist. His reply was, "Well this isn't you we're talking about but if you want to risk your husband having another MI, don't give him the medication." Well, alrighty then. Since that time, black box warnings have come out about statins potentially causing diabetes and they were never tested for efficacy and safety beyond 6 months in clinical trials. And since they are so new, there are really no long-term studies available. But it seems to be s.o.p. to stick post-MI patients on these drugs and keep them on them forever unless they start to exhibit liver damage. There are increased cardiac risks with a diagnosis of diabetes along with a host of other problems. Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes