Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,554 times

Advertisements

I'm only 31, skinny at 6'0 160lbs, and borderline pre-diabetic (Lame term for you're on your way to Type 2), with an A1C of 5.6. My morning levels range from 95-115. My doc give me a BG monitor and told me to get on low carb diet. My numbers are pretty good since modifying diet which consisted of fast food and soda. Doc tells me it's more genetics than anything since I have a grandma with Type 2. I test pre & post meals.

Anyways, I'm looking to gain mass, my ideal weight is to be 175-185 mainly muscle. I just started working out a few weeks ago and already notice a difference in tone. I plan only to use barbell compound exercises (db shoulder press, db curl, db shrugs, etc...) and push-ups.
Can anyone recommend a low carb diet with high calories? Or anything that would work for someone with my condition.

So far from researching these boards I found that these might help but would like second onionskin on others who understand. Doc tells me to exercise and lose weight? Lol....I cant afford to lose weight, I'm already a skinny ectomorph (thin wrist, skinny arms).

From my research online to stop progression to full blown Type 2, I must lose 10% of body weight and exercise. If I walked around at 144lbs at 6'0 tall, I would look like a sack of bones.

Here's what I found so far, so let me know if these are good choices for my diet. Also is it safe to consume 3500-4500 calories a day eating food below? My latest kindey, liver, pancrease, cbc, lipid panels are normal.

all sorts of nuts and nut butters
cheese, cream cheese
avocados
butter
bacon
mayonnaise
apple juice
whey
milk?? any kind in particular?
nonfat yougurt
some fruit
Tuna or most any fish.
Cottage cheese.
Eggs (especially the whites).
Chicken breast (boneless skinless).
Turkey breast (boneless skinless).
Lean beef.
Low fat or no fat cheese.
Low fat pork.
Milk protein isolate.
Whey protein.
Soy protein.
Omega 3 capsules
Flax seed oil
Primrose oil
Borage oil
Olive oil
Peanut butter (as long as it does not contain hydrogenated oils).
Egg yolks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
If you're gonna eat mayo use hellmann's canola oil mayo.. if you're gonna eat salad dressings use craft olive oil dressings such as their italian dressing. Try to use store bought stuff with canola which is high in omega 9 monounsaturated and avoid soybean oil which is high in omega 6 polyunsaturated.

You should be able to find these at wally-fart.
Hellmann's Canola Mayonnaise, 30oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Kraft Salad Dressing, Italian Vinegrette with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 14-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Kraft Light, Original, 30 Calorie Barbecue Sauce, 16.25-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

If you want to gain mass you need to eat carbs.. I would not recommend milk in large quanitities because it has a high glycemic index. Small quantities are fine. I would also not recommend apple/orange/grape juice.. it's basically just sugar. Eat an orange instead (just one at a time)

Black beans (which are cheap at wal-mart and I really like) are my friend. I mix them with ground beef and mushrooms, mustard, neotame, onion powder and some low sugar BBQ sauce (kraft light original bbq sauce) and it's really good. Black beans have a low glycemic index. A banana has a high glycemic index. Also glycemic load matters, the amount of carbs you eat at one sitting. Try to keep your blood sugar from spiking above 140-150 mg/dl at ANY TIME if possible to prevent your type 2 from progressing. Space out carb consumption and eat several smaller portion sizes per day.

Don't be afraid to eat saturated fat, but avoid eating too much stuff with high levels of nitrates, like bacon and deli meats. Cook turkeys and refrigerate the leftovers.

You don't need to be eating lean beef or low fat cheeses. If you are exercising and fit, and also eating low glycemic, enjoy the fat. Also, the trivial amount of trans-fats in peanut butter don't really matter... enjoy whatever brand you like. I like the natural stuff, but I also like Jif, and sunflower butter and almond butters as well.

Also, I ate dozens of eggs over a period of a couple months and had my cholestrol checked.. rock stable HDL 70, LDL 75, VLDL 4, triglycerides 45mg/dl .. for me eating cholesterol and saturated fat does not raise cholesterol. Buying whole turkeys and chicken with bones and skins on is cheaper and you get more calories for your buck. The skin has collagen/gelatin in it and isn't gonna kill ya.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Try a plant based diet. Watch this for ideas and inspiration:

Simply Raw - Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days (complete) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes