Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,265,801 times

Advertisements

This is a bit related to Cool85's thread but I'll start fresh. This is for someone who has done a good study of what the tests mean.Last spring, my glucose level was just over 120. Doctor did an A1C which came back 7.2 Diagnose: diabetes. However ---- it is a fact that, like Cool85, I have a sweet tooth and also a fact that I had really been over-dosing on cookies, candy, cakes, pies - the works, like I thought there was going to be a total lack in the future.All right. I cut out all the sugary foods. Even stopped putting sugar in my tea and cut back to 1/2 tsp sugar in my coffee. One month later, the glucose test showed 100. No A1C test then.Three months later, an A1C test showed 6.0. We didn't do glucose at that time. This month, the A1C test showed 6.1 and the glucose test 101. So, my question. Did those tests really indicate definite diabetes and, if so, can Type 2 diabetes revert to normal (no diabetes)? Or -what I am suspecting - did those first tests really only measure the huge dose of sweets I'd indulged in for several months?I know from years of paying attention that these flaws can happen with cholesterol. My cholesterol will be high if I've been having a lot of cheese, ice cream, etc., in the month before the tests but will be back down much lower - not as low as we'd like but lower - if I've not been having those foods. (I don't eat meat. So, that doesn't contribute.) If this happens with cholesterol, why can't it also happen with sugar?Opinions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM

13,703 posts, read 9,036,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
This is a bit related to Cool85's thread but I'll start fresh. This is for someone who has done a good study of what the tests mean.Last spring, my glucose level was just over 120. Doctor did an A1C which came back 7.2 Diagnose: diabetes. However ---- it is a fact that, like Cool85, I have a sweet tooth and also a fact that I had really been over-dosing on cookies, candy, cakes, pies - the works, like I thought there was going to be a total lack in the future.All right. I cut out all the sugary foods. Even stopped putting sugar in my tea and cut back to 1/2 tsp sugar in my coffee. One month later, the glucose test showed 100. No A1C test then.Three months later, an A1C test showed 6.0. We didn't do glucose at that time. This month, the A1C test showed 6.1 and the glucose test 101. So, my question. Did those tests really indicate definite diabetes and, if so, can Type 2 diabetes revert to normal (no diabetes)? Or -what I am suspecting - did those first tests really only measure the huge dose of sweets I'd indulged in for several months?I know from years of paying attention that these flaws can happen with cholesterol. My cholesterol will be high if I've been having a lot of cheese, ice cream, etc., in the month before the tests but will be back down much lower - not as low as we'd like but lower - if I've not been having those foods. (I don't eat meat. So, that doesn't contribute.) If this happens with cholesterol, why can't it also happen with sugar?Opinions, please?
The short answer is 'yes', you can reverse Type II diabetes. A fellow office worker likewise was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He lost 40 pounds and cut back drastically on the carbs. He now is off his oral medication (metformin). Remember: a person without any form of diabetes can eat sugar like crazy, and still have a normal A1c. My wife, for instance, can eat a birthday cake every day of the week, for three months, and her A1c will still be 5.5 percent. Diabetes is how your body cells and pancreas react to carbs. You body began to not react normally to high levels of carbs/sugars. I hope that helps

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The short answer is 'yes', you can reverse Type II diabetes. A fellow office worker likewise was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. He lost 40 pounds and cut back drastically on the carbs. He now is off his oral medication (metformin). Remember: a person without any form of diabetes can eat sugar like crazy, and still have a normal A1c. My wife, for instance, can eat a birthday cake every day of the week, for three months, and her A1c will still be 5.5 percent. Diabetes is how your body cells and pancreas react to carbs. You body began to not react normally to high levels of carbs/sugars. I hope that helps
So it wasn't just measuring the sugar I'd been indulging in. It was accurately diagnosed as diabetes but my stricter diet after that reversed it. Meaning that I have diabetes but under control. Am I right? I've not had a lot of success cutting back the other carbs, only the sugar. That part was easy. But, looks like it did the trick. Thank you for reply.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Yes, you might think of it as "diabetes in remission." The minute you go back to your old habits, diabetes returns.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM

Thank you both for replies. I'm glad to get that straight.

Oops! Can't imagine anyone telling me that I don't talk/write enough. Little gremlin here says my message is too short and I should add one character. Now see what they get when they tell me to talk more. Serves them right.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,824,131 times
I've heard this but don't know the truth of it: that your body will slip into and out of diabetes several times before it actually takes hold and takes more drastic measures, like losing weight or taking meds to improve your numbers. So, those of you who know--is this true?

I'm thinking from my own experience that it probably is but I'm not sure because I haven't had numbers tested but I remember that once after a major sugar binge I developed the symptoms--really thirsty, peed a lot, got weak and shaky and headachey, etc. I stopped the sugar binge immediately and really began to exercise and lost 15 lbs and I did still eat some sugar but not binging like I was and then I felt just fine. I did have my glucose checked a couple of years after that and my fasting was 73 that year and 72 the next--and that was last year at the Drs. office. I do still binge but never again to that extent and I'd like to stop altogether again like I did once for several years. If I don't I know where I'm headed. I've read that sugar is more addictive than cocaine and I know that is true for me. I tried cocaine once in college and it didn't do much for me but sugar will light me up like a christmas tree.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've heard this but don't know the truth of it: that your body will slip into and out of diabetes several times before it actually takes hold and takes more drastic measures, like losing weight or taking meds to improve your numbers. So, those of you who know--is this true?

I'm thinking from my own experience that it probably is but I'm not sure because I haven't had numbers tested but I remember that once after a major sugar binge I developed the symptoms--really thirsty, peed a lot, got weak and shaky and headachey, etc. I stopped the sugar binge immediately and really began to exercise and lost 15 lbs and I did still eat some sugar but not binging like I was and then I felt just fine. I did have my glucose checked a couple of years after that and my fasting was 73 that year and 72 the next--and that was last year at the Drs. office. I do still binge but never again to that extent and I'd like to stop altogether again like I did once for several years. If I don't I know where I'm headed. I've read that sugar is more addictive than cocaine and I know that is true for me. I tried cocaine once in college and it didn't do much for me but sugar will light me up like a christmas tree.
So many side effects to overdosing on sugar. How about a "foggy" mind? Not able to think clearly or reason as well as normally? A friend tells me that this happens to her husband. When he seems "out of it", she knows he's been at the sugar bowl.

Take care.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,722,607 times
the a1c is the more accurate test of diabetes because it measures your sugar over the past 90 days. the regular glucose blood test just happens to be what your sugar was at that moment

last year my a1c was 6.4 which was close to diabetes (i think the equivalent is about 130 or so) but my glucose blood drawing was 86. big difference.

earlier this year my a1c was 6.0 but i had a glucose reading of 156 post breakfast--also a big difference

Old 11-01-2013, 06:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,824,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
So many side effects to overdosing on sugar. How about a "foggy" mind? Not able to think clearly or reason as well as normally? A friend tells me that this happens to her husband. When he seems "out of it", she knows he's been at the sugar bowl.

Take care.
Yes I get this and I've found that I can't eat sugary foods if I"m going to be driving any kind of distance. I'll be fine one minute and the next I'm fighting sleep--it's creepy and weird and I just don't do that anymore. I mostly stay away from the stuff altogether during the week but have at least one binge on weekends and that needs to stop or slow down. I don't get as bad as your friend's husband though unless I really did it bad--went to a friend's house one night and had cinnamon rolls and then back to work and didn't get one thing done.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM

139 posts, read 351,874 times
look at it this way, a blood glucose test is a photograph and a1c is the movie. as for the 7.2 a1c, you can either take it as a warning or a fluke ( if it was only one test) obviously, whether you are type 2 or not , at this point it is being controlled by diet. hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes