Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times

Advertisements

As the op is claiming that this stuff cures diabetes i think it is well placed in the diabetes section.
Update/
I've now finished the 4oz bag of this stuff and can report absolutely no change in my Blood sugar levels..Conclusion? snake oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:58 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
I used to have to count out 5 blueberries or on strawberry would spike my blood sugar. I deliberately ate a lot of high glycemic stuff for breakfast to see just how it would go. I didn't do a fasting today as now I only check about 3 days a week as a monitor to make sure I'm staying in the zone. 2 hours after a banana and a slab of coconut cake my blood sugar was 124. Before it would have been 280+. A lot may depend on the persons individual body chemistry just like say statin drugs. I can't take them and when I did they were snake oil. Without the benefit of exercise I've lost more weight than I thought possible just keeping blood sugars in check. I used the capsule form rather than leaves. I think I will try and grow some for farther testing in a flower pot.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
@ MystMoonstruck

I am curious as to what you consider a careful diet. What are you eating that is making you BG shoot up like that?

As for supplements, I consider them as just that. I do not think they are effective enough to bring your BG down from spike from a high carbohydrate meal all by themselves. If your pancreas is already damaged enough then insulin will be next. The Glyburide may haved burned out your pancreas enough to the point that is does not produce enough insulin on it's own. What dose were you taking? Once your pancreas burns out there is no way to reverse that I have heard of. The next step is insulin. No other way around that or is there? There are a lot of new treatments out that work in different ways. I see a lot of commercials on TV all the time.

There is also a new type of drug which lowers your BG by a new mechanism which is to expel it through the kidneys. They are called SGLT2 inhibitors. I was on one of them called Farxiga. I did not like the side effects but some can tolerate them.
SGLT2 Inhibitors, Farxiga, Invokana, Jardiance. Questionable New Drugs

There are some injectables that are not insulin, one that I saw you use only once a week. Here are a couple
FDA Approves Another Weekly Injectable Drug for Type 2 Diabetes
https://www.bydureon.com/

There are new types of insulin which you use just once a day.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I usually dont get too interested in supplements as they are usually snake oil made by companies that arent government inspected for quality of product and if they did work why isnt my doctor prescribing the product.
That said this product looks like an exception and may be of help to my chronically high blood sugar levels, doing some research on the product comes up with no negatives, i'll go buy some and give it a try, thanks for the heads up Mattie.
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=gymnema+sylvestre

For those that have had some measure of success with this stuff what was your method of usage ,tablets,tea, just chewing some leaves? And where do you buy it?
Update/
Just finished off over the last 2 months a bag of this stuff in tea form, conclusion? it did absolutely nothing for me..

Old 10-10-2015, 12:25 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
I've taken fasting readings then take a capsule and wait 45 or so minutes and get a 15 point drop. Now I can eat fruit and berries with lean meats and low carb high fiber grain products and still stay well below the 145 mg/dl. Diet helped the most with the supplements being the icing on the cake. Before the supplements I could not tolerate the berries or fruit.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,055,047 times
My H tried this and it didn't help. Later he went to Spain and had his guts rerouted and never needed meds again. The surgery worked.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
. Later he went to Spain and had his guts rerouted .
I like the wording...
I'll presume your hubby had some form of bariatric surgery?
Something i would have liked to have done but evidently now i'm over 65 the insurance now considers the procedure as cosmetic surgery and wont pay for it, out of pocket at a private clinic/hospital it will cost me $25K so no bariatric option for me.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,234,834 times
I hadn't dropped by for a long time. I'll report this: My blood sugar stays between 80-120, generally being somewhere in between. My pancreas has given me little twinges, but a little more ibuprofen quiets it completely. I've had no nausea or other bodily responses. My doctor still is amazed by the differences in me.

The person who thinks s/he can drink a few cups of tea and be helped is not approaching supplements correctly. It just doesn't work that way. Use them regularly and perhaps with more than that particular extract; combinations are what worked for me, not just GS.

This year, I have had every day when I could do things. In the past number of years, I would lose most of the year to illnesses. I still deal with a lot of pain, which is unavoidable with fibro; but, I did find a pain relief ointment from India which has helped tremendously. When I was in a lot of pain, my blood sugar went up; unfortunately, it didn't drop enough even on days with less pain.

Honestly, I don't fuss too much about balancing my diet because, even with chronic pancreatitis, I'm doing amazingly well. I sometimes overdo carbs; but, in the morning, my reading is in the safe zone, generally the low hundreds (102-109). My highest spike has been 140, which generally happens when I eat cereal with milk; if I eat dry cereal, that doesn't happen. BTW: I don't use sugar.

When I was on Glyburide and its helper (I don't recall the name right now), there was no such thing as control, no matter how carefully I ate. I was afraid of having to go on insulin. I don't regret refusing it at the hospital though my doctor thought it was unavoidable after the acute pancreatitis attack. Again, this treatment isn't for everyone, but it's made such an enormous difference in my life.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:01 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,538,766 times
I mentioned this product to the Diabetes Educator. I can't say she seems all that familiar with products that Diabetics would be interested in. Be it food products in the grocery store, or this GS product mentioned in this thread. She did say she does not recommend supplements for Diabetics, especially the Diabetics that need insulin when all else fails.

For those that can take this GS product, and find there are good results with it. Then more power to them. Anything that helps I'm all for it. For me though I would not be taking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes