Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You can throw all your diabetic medications away by becoming a strict Vegan
I find that for me anyways any diet like a vegan diet or any other strict diet such as this is NOT sustainable. What is sustainable is a LCHF diet or also know as a ketogenic diet. It differs from a paleo diet in that it allows dairy. This diet for me has brought my numbers down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,695 times
I cut down carbs and calories (portion sizes) and lost 70+ lbs and returned to normal glucose levels. I take no meds, only diet and exercise.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExarKun View Post
I cut down carbs and calories (portion sizes) and lost 70+ lbs and returned to normal glucose levels. I take no meds, only diet and exercise.

The portion sizes is what I have been struggling with. My BG numbers are good but my weight loss has been moderate.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
There are supplements that help. I hesitate to name the ones I use for fear of being labelled a kook.

I've losy 60 lbs over the past two years and have been hovering around 190 for several weeks now. Some of this loss was due to a digestive problem that made it difficult to keep food down, Since I began including probiotics into my supplement regimen, that problem no longer exists.

I eat three vegetable salads every two days, no lettuce or spinach or other leafy greens included. I switched from blue cheese to Italian dressing. I am not perfect. Sometime I eat ice cream or cake, but not very often.

As I have trouble walking sometimes, I dont get the kind of exercise I should. I have to eat smaller portions, and I try no to eat after 7 PM and if I am struck with insomnia, as happens to me now and again, I do my damnedest not to snack overnight.

If you have more money than you know what do do with, there is a place called Tree of Life that is doing land office business "curing" type 2 people. They do the whole number - feed you, teach you how and what to cook and eat, and using the supplements I refer to above.

In other words, there is good reason to hope, but you have to want to change. Dr Berman's book is excellent. You may also want to check out Dr Mark Hyman's The Blood Sugar Solution also.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
One thing for sure if your diet is devoid of vegetables and fruit and consists mainly of fried or fatty meat smothered in cheese then wrapped in bread accompanied with a bucket of fizzy sugar water in conjunction with a sedentary lifestyle,you wont be seeing any improvement in your diabetic condition..

Old 07-06-2015, 01:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
I follow the type of sample diet found on Medical Supply Company + Home Medical Supplies | Diabetic Testing Supply Companies - CCS Medical

That, along with one tablet of Invokana has my blood sugar under control. I suspect that if I followed it more religiously, I'd be able to stop the meds completely... baby steps

I was diagnosed three years ago. Metformin had no effect, other than to make me nauseous. Insulin shots were not consistently controlling it. Then I started these pills, it dropped a good bit and finally had a one on one with a registered dietician and my numbers are now perfect, some days a little low

Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I follow the type of sample diet found on Medical Supply Company + Home Medical Supplies | Diabetic Testing Supply Companies - CCS Medical

That, along with one tablet of Invokana has my blood sugar under control. I suspect that if I followed it more religiously, I'd be able to stop the meds completely... baby steps

I was diagnosed three years ago. Metformin had no effect, other than to make me nauseous. Insulin shots were not consistently controlling it. Then I started these pills, it dropped a good bit and finally had a one on one with a registered dietician and my numbers are now perfect, some days a little low
Where is the diet on that link/site?

On a higher-protein, low-carb diet, you can eventually go off diabetes meds. A husband/wife MD team published one that their patients have done very well on, called Protein Power. Available on Amazon for a couple of bucks. The diet requires working out 3x/week in order to make good progress lowering sugars and building lean muscle mass.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
Here's the link for the sample menus:

Sample Diabetes Menus - CCS Medical

It's not just what you eat and how much, when you have diabetes it's also WHEN you eat what

I learned that I was actually not eating enough carbs at each meal, which is why I would always fail when trying to follow online diets. I follow the 1800 cal sample, knowing that it's more than I need, but I can cut back one carb per meal for weight loss, without starving myself

It's all automatic for me now, but I think the guideline is 68g of carbs (4 carbs) for each of the 3 meals - no saving of carbs, no skimping on protein either - eating too little hurts just as much in the long run as too much. All allowances per meal are use em or lose em. No less than 3 per meal will keep you full. The snack has to have a carb and a protein too.

Saving calories/carbs and then binging all at once will not keep blood sugar stable

Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 PM

29 posts, read 220,052 times
This is a link to a great talk on why the standard diabetes diet advice is flawed... Excellent concept and worth watching all the way thru. LCHF = low carb, moderate protein and high fat really works. Insulin actually makes diabetes / insulin resistance worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
I will add, since it seems necessary, that Type I diabetics, such as myself, cannot control blood sugar levels by diet alone. Since we do not produce insulin out of our pancreas, we must have insulin shots.

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes