Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 AM

32 posts, read 72,280 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any success with diet to treat diabetes in a way that they got off their meds? I believe there is a way and this needs to be further researched. I always believe that diet can heal.. People who are prediabetics or normal blood sugar also need to pay attention because, this might be them in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,371,830 times
I'm sure this wil be diverted to health and wellness.

@anyrate, I have a relative that was a full blown insulin dependent type 2 that completely got off his meds through diet. He was shooting 150-175 units a day. Of course, he was overweight and his eating habits was terrible. He has since lost weight and have been free of insulin, cholesterol, and high blood pressure meds for 5 years. I know this because I personally helped him achieve this. I'm proud to say he's now very healthy and ecstatic about his needle free, med free life.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshb View Post
Has anyone had any success with diet to treat diabetes in a way that they got off their meds? I believe there is a way and this needs to be further researched. I always believe that diet can heal.. People who are prediabetics or normal blood sugar also need to pay attention because, this might be them in the future.

This has nothing to do with relationships and many people control their diabetes with diet and exercise, it is nothing new and I'm not sure how much more research needs to be done since this has been a known fact for years.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:23 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,998,379 times
As others have said, many people control their diabetes without medication. A good book is The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein, if you want specifics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/031618...sEL&ref=plSrch

Old 05-29-2015, 07:54 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,689,064 times
Lots of people control diabetes with lifestyle changes. Get that junk under control before you lose a limb. No one wants to date a person with a stinky necrotic foot.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:02 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,042,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooshb View Post
There are ways and people do it every day. It won't work 100% of the time for all diabetics, depending on the severity of their diabetes and their relative lifestyle before making changes, but it can and does work. (My mom has been successfully reducing her need for meds through major lifestyle changes, but my father has not seen the same results). More research? Do not fear, there is TONS of diabetic research going on in the medical community.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:32 PM

112 posts, read 112,314 times
Quick google search shows a ton of testimony to the idea, such as 7 Steps to Health & The Big Diabetes Lie Review people claim to be taken off of Metformin or in some cases Insulin due to following diet and lifestyle changes. I've also heard goods things about certain diets (Mediterranean, Paleo, etc...) that all seem to involve limiting two primary things:

Sugar and Refined Carbs (bagels and donuts).

So yeah, I'd say that if you want to be taken off diabetes meds you want to definitely look at your diet (and don't forget exercise too...pretty decent forum for such on here)

EDIT: Checkered is right, it isn't a guarantee but I would say it's worth a try after you do EXTENSIVE reading into it yourself.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 6,512 times
I found this post perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful information,

Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
You can throw all your diabetic medications away by becoming a strict Vegan,
I've had much success with Dr Joel Fuhrmans approach "Eat to Live"=
Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol
Unfortunately i cant seem to exist merely on vegetables/fruits and legumes for more than a month, i then lapse back into a normal diet,gain all the weight back and watch my blood sugar readings rise and have to start back on the medications.
So yes diabetes can be reversed through diet the question is how long can you stay on the diet required to bring about positive results.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:07 AM

563 posts, read 525,428 times
My brother eats avocados and has a strict diet. But, it seems to be working for him. Increasing alkaline and reducing acids. Whatever that means!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes