Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 01:48 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
So happy for you that you were able to conquer your addiction. Same here. I gave up sodas, even diet sodas, about a year ago and if I taste one now it tastes foul! But I was never a big soda drinker so it wasn't that hard.

Did you experience a health crisis to motivate you?
I used to be addicted to soda. It was terrible. I felt panicky if I was going to run out. I'd leave the house at night in a storm to get my fix if I had to. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was going to get between me and my drug. I was the only one who could do anything about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,761 times
I was reading a book on health and wellness and came across this statement and it made me think of this thread...

"As a result of the effects of illness on the patient and family, family dynamics often change. Family dynamics are the processes by which the family functions, makes decisions, gives support to individual members, and copes with everyday changes and challenges. Women living with spouses who have chronic illness experience a feeling of detachment from the spouse, a sense of loneliness, and a change in their relationship."

I hope if nothing else, you have found a place to vent on City-Data. Your husband may not see how his actions weigh on you, but his actions can cause a huge stress on a family.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM

698 posts, read 2,841,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used to be addicted to soda. It was terrible. I felt panicky if I was going to run out. I'd leave the house at night in a storm to get my fix if I had to. Nobody, and I mean nobody, was going to get between me and my drug. I was the only one who could do anything about that.
That took a lot of insight and then resolve to stop it. I think of addiction as a form of slavery.

Good for you saying goodbye to your soda addiction!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I was reading a book on health and wellness and came across this statement and it made me think of this thread...

"As a result of the effects of illness on the patient and family, family dynamics often change. Family dynamics are the processes by which the family functions, makes decisions, gives support to individual members, and copes with everyday changes and challenges. Women living with spouses who have chronic illness experience a feeling of detachment from the spouse, a sense of loneliness, and a change in their relationship."

I hope if nothing else, you have found a place to vent on City-Data. Your husband may not see how his actions weigh on you, but his actions can cause a huge stress on a family.
Very accurate indeed.

I am a strong person. I understand that this is his burden and that he is paying the highest price but also know that a family is not immune to suffering the side effects.

I feel that I have to find coping mechanisms because I am unable to change his habits and choices. It is good to vent somehow. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Parmesan really does make veggies taste good! Sometimes I'll make a really simple sauce for veggies too, stir fry Asian veggies and then add 1/2 c water, 1 tbsp corn starch, 1 tsp beef base and 1 tbsp soy sauce (mixed together before you pour it over the veggies), then cook for a minute or two until the sauce gets thick and clear and coats the veggies. Even my husband will eat those veggies. He'll eat cauliflower rice too, but I'm usually too lazy to get out the food processor.

If my husband does ever get diagnosed with diabetes, at least I'll know what to cook for him and how much exercise he should get. I felt pretty lost when I was diagnosed and it took me a while to figure it all out. He's lifting weights a lot now, hoping that will make him less likely to get diabetes. His dad had it but we don't know how old he was when he was diagnosed, and there's no asking him now. Both of his grandmas had it too, but his mom is in her 70's and doesn't have it.
Sauces can save the day!

Hoping your DH can stay healthy and avoid diabetes.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:19 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Your husband is a big boy and he is responsible for his own health, not you. I understand you want to help him though.
I have been on low carb awhile, so I know that if he eats enough protein he will not be hungry, and also if he lays off the simple carbs for a few days he will stop craving them.
You must stop buying that stuff. You don't need it either. If he goes and buys it, that's on him.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Your husband is a big boy and he is responsible for his own health, not you. I understand you want to help him though.
I have been on low carb awhile, so I know that if he eats enough protein he will not be hungry, and also if he lays off the simple carbs for a few days he will stop craving them.
You must stop buying that stuff. You don't need it either. If he goes and buys it, that's on him.
Exactly. It is and always has been on him. I only buy the low carb ice cream in the hopes that it will satisfy the craving and be enough for him. If I didn't buy that he would go out and buy it himself and even more things I would never buy.

I think it does help. Not sure you read my posts but I don't eat what he does. My daily treat is a small square of dark chocolate and a half cup of low fat frozen yogurt after dinner. I don't have a big sweet tooth. I measure everything I eat because I'm over a certain age where weight is creeping up even though I'm more active than ever before! Ugh, aging stinks!

I can't take responsibility for his health and have to start to deal with how his actions affect me, so now it seems my thread should be re-titled "How do you help yourself when your spouse has diabetes?"

Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Exactly. It is and always has been on him. I only buy the low carb ice cream in the hopes that it will satisfy the craving and be enough for him. If I didn't buy that he would go out and buy it himself and even more things I would never buy.

I think it does help. Not sure you read my posts but I don't eat what he does. My daily treat is a small square of dark chocolate and a half cup of low fat frozen yogurt after dinner. I don't have a big sweet tooth. I measure everything I eat because I'm over a certain age where weight is creeping up even though I'm more active than ever before! Ugh, aging stinks!

I can't take responsibility for his health and have to start to deal with how his actions affect me, so now it seems my thread should be re-titled "How do you help yourself when your spouse has diabetes?"
I do understand, since I am also of a certain age and it is hard to keep off the pounds at my age. I'm sure you know what's best for you, but if he were my husband, I would put both of us on low carb, and be done with it.

One suggestion I have for you is, I wonder if you your husband have tried the Atkins Snack bars? There is one that is Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll, and if it doesn't stop his sweets cravings, I give up. It has 3 net carbs. All the bars are good (no funky aftertaste). If you buy some, pay attention to the labeling. Some are snacks and some are meal bars. If your DH ever needs a go breakfast bar, the meal bars would be good. Worth a try, anyway.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do understand, since I am also of a certain age and it is hard to keep off the pounds at my age. I'm sure you know what's best for you, but if he were my husband, I would put both of us on low carb, and be done with it.

One suggestion I have for you is, I wonder if you your husband have tried the Atkins Snack bars? There is one that is Caramel Chocolate Nut Roll, and if it doesn't stop his sweets cravings, I give up. It has 3 net carbs. All the bars are good (no funky aftertaste). If you buy some, pay attention to the labeling. Some are snacks and some are meal bars. If your DH ever needs a go breakfast bar, the meal bars would be good. Worth a try, anyway.
I can't do low carb because I am vegetarian. There wouldn't be much for me to eat. I think much of my DH's problem is feelings of deprivation, feeling pity for himself that he is sick and can't eat the way he would like to.

Anyone can understand that, and feel sympathetic.

He does eat all the Atkins stuff, shakes and bars but that's his daytime regimen, so he would not reach for that after work or after dinner, which seem to be the times he has the most cravings.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I have two adult children who are both diabetics type 1 and they have been terrible with their diets( in other words I was always having to watch every bite they put in their mouths ) since they were dx'ed and there was nothing I could do except not buy junk food and keep it in the house . So my other kids were never that heavy either . But now as adults they don't watch their diet at all according to their spouses so I keep telling their spouse not to buy the junk and keep it in the house and I will tell you the same thing don't buy it and hide his car keys so he cant go and buy it himself . Good luck I know this is hard . My SIL has already hid her keys and boy did she get mad but he is saving her life and I appreciate that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes