Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 02:05 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So what you are saying in today's world, it's all by lab numbers on whether one is diabetic.

I'm sure for my parents' lives there were never labs done for "sugar"...and they ate lots of sugar/carbs and were never really sick people. So one has to have diabetes in their gene line?
Diabetes has always been and always will be "all about the lab numbers"....the diagnosis of diabetes is made solely on the basis of a fasting blood glucose level above 126 mg/dl

Also insulin has been around since the 1920's and labs have been done to test blood sugar since the early 1900's...

Eli Lilly has been making insulin since 1923....there goes Big Pharma....saving millions of lives, the nerve...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 05:56 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Eli Lilly has been making insulin since 1923....there goes Big Pharma....saving millions of lives, the nerve...

Old 04-01-2016, 07:27 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Just listening to my favorite weekend program on PRP regenerative work. The MD who spends an hour on the radio is very into healthy living, cutting out sugarS and keeping weight under control. Extra weight on the body does us no good.

Thinking about my father who lived to almost 96, he drank alcohol and beer all his life, even had a couple beers a few weeks before he died. Ate TONS of sugars (sweets) and major loads of pasta and breads...

Diabetes was NEVER mentioned in those days...sugar was talked about like "he/she has sugar condition"...

Can someone live a long life with diabetes and not know it? This man was hardly sick in his life and then stuff happened in his late 60's...diverticulitis but he made it back to life with my mom's care. Mom ate tons of carbs and sugars too, but never drank alcohol but didn't consume like my father..

The PRP MD asks everyone who calls in what is your age and your Weight. The MD says it's Veggies, Protein and Water....and eliminating sugars majorally.
My paternal grandfather also lived well into his 90's despite having 2 different meats at breakfast, butter at every meal, gravy on everything, whole milk at every meal and putting cream (skimmed off of the milk) on all his desserts. AND he ate dessert with each meal including breakfast.
A couple of differences though -- he walked and worked hard ALL day long on his dairy farm and generally worked daylight to dark and had no extra fat. Also no alcohol or tobacco.
Exercise and body fat composition make a big difference. (not that I am advocating an unhealthy diet)
Also, the use of high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener instead of sugar (because we wanted to teach Cuba a lesson by not importing their sugar) has had a huge negative impact on our health contributing to diabetes.
We really do need to eat smarter and exercise more. (I'm preaching a little bit to myself here )

Old 04-02-2016, 12:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Have you tried to cut out all grains? You did not mention the grains. My trigs went from around 400 to around 120 with a no grain low carb diet. Also, have you considered changing doctors? He is/was not apparently taking good care of you.
Changing doctors and finding one that's pro-active and "takes good care of" his/her patients is very hard to do. The ones who are on the ball and aren't impossibly passive and detrimental to the patient are needles in the haystack of useless doctors. I call them "fake' doctors: they wear the white coat to create the illusion of doctorhood, but they don't actually practice the profession. They don't do any doctoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes