Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 04:49 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
After the low carb doesn't work for you, start eating a diet that is a wide variety of almost all whole food, unrefined, and plant based (basically, vegetables, including starchy ones like yams; legumes; whole grains, including oatmeal; fruits; and nuts). Ditch almost all animal products and pretty much everything that is refined and not a whole food.

Then, watch as all of your blood profiles improve, your weight drops, and you no longer have to worry about diabetes, all while eating as much as you want.

And, yes, exercise.
If someone is a diet-controlled diabetic, no, they cannot eat as much as they want...they eat what their glucometer tells them they can eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm starting to be more careful with my diet since I need to lose a lot of weight and been eating too much junk. In particular my blood sugar levels.

I hear conflicting things about oatmeal online. Some links say it is a good food since it doesn't spike blood sugar levels. Yet, on other links, I read of people that ate oatmeal and it spiked their blood sugar levels like crazy.

Anyone out there with experience?
Yes, I have experience with this.

I'm diet controlled...I do not use insulin. Oatmeal raises my blood sugar too high; it's very easy to see that just by looking at my glucometer. If you use insulin, sure, eat your oatmeal, but if you're diet controlled, check your glucometer.

Trust your glucometer, not random people on the internet.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:06 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
NO more fried food
Don't do that!

I use something called Carbquik to make fried stuff. It's good! But IMO, it's not good for much else.
Also, if the breading is not heavy I usually don't see a spike. If you have a meter, you can eat it then test.
So, eat it then test. If there's no spike it's legal.

Bacon, sausage and eggs don't have carbs. I never get tired of bacon, sausage and eggs.

For lunch I eat meat. Delicious, delicious meat. And sugar free Jello.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If someone is a diet-controlled diabetic, no, they cannot eat as much as they want...they eat what their glucometer tells them they can eat.
If they are eating the way I described, they can eat as much as they want because, if it is type 2, it will pretty much go away.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:

I'm diet controlled...I do not use insulin. Oatmeal raises my blood sugar too high; it's very easy to see that just by looking at my glucometer. If you use insulin, sure, eat your oatmeal, but if you're diet controlled, check your glucometer.

Trust your glucometer, not random people on the internet.
Type 1 or type 2?

Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Type 1 or type 2?
Type 2. I weighed 124 pounds when diagnosed, have never been overweight. I keep my A1c under 6 as a diet-controlled diabetic. I will always be diabetic, doesn't matter how much I weigh or what I eat...my body cannot handle sugar/carbs, it just stays in my blood rather than being used by my muscles for energy.

My mother, grandmother, both brothers, two sisters, various cousins, aunts, and uncles also have type 2...50% of my family have type 2. My grandmother, mother, and brothers were actually quite fit and slim when they were diagnosed, same as me.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Those with pre-diabetes and diabetes may benefit from supplementing with magnesium.

75% of us are short on magnesium and this can contribute to diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, anxiety, muscle weakness, and heart issues, especially palpitations.

As most of our body's magnesium is found in our cells, a normal blood panel showing okay blood serum magnesium levels doesn't reveal a critical shortage in our bodies.

If you Google "magnesium and diabetes" you'll find lots of info about mag. There are also a number of informative books on the topic-- The Magnesium Factor is one I've read.

It's interesting--to me at least--that many of our more common diseases can be traced back to--and/or prevented--by a great diet (hard to achieve).

Supplementation with essential minerals is indicated for many of us due to our hurried lifestyle. A lifestyle that keeps us from eating everything we should to prevent a lack of these vital minerals.

Of these minerals, magnesium is the key one we're so often short of.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:04 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Type 2. I weighed 124 pounds when diagnosed, have never been overweight. I keep my A1c under 6 as a diet-controlled diabetic. I will always be diabetic, doesn't matter how much I weigh or what I eat...my body cannot handle sugar/carbs, it just stays in my blood rather than being used by my muscles for energy.

My mother, grandmother, both brothers, two sisters, various cousins, aunts, and uncles also have type 2...50% of my family have type 2. My grandmother, mother, and brothers were actually quite fit and slim when they were diagnosed, same as me.
Excellent information. Your family history is very similar to mine. Out of my mother's nine siblings, seven ended up with Type 2 and one had Type 1. Only my mother had a body type that was not tall and slim.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:

What does diet controlled mean? Does that mean you don't have to take medication for your diabetes?

Last edited by Just A Guy; 11-19-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Those with pre-diabetes and diabetes may benefit from supplementing with magnesium.

75% of us are short on magnesium and this can contribute to diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, anxiety, muscle weakness, and heart issues, especially palpitations.

As most of our body's magnesium is found in our cells, a normal blood panel showing okay blood serum magnesium levels doesn't reveal a critical shortage in our bodies.

If you Google "magnesium and diabetes" you'll find lots of info about mag. There are also a number of informative books on the topic-- The Magnesium Factor is one I've read.

It's interesting--to me at least--that many of our more common diseases can be traced back to--and/or prevented--by a great diet (hard to achieve).

Supplementation with essential minerals is indicated for many of us due to our hurried lifestyle. A lifestyle that keeps us from eating everything we should to prevent a lack of these vital minerals.

Of these minerals, magnesium is the key one we're so often short of.
Yes, most chronic disease can be traced to poor diet. Supplements don't fix that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes