Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Another doctor who seems to have never taken a nutrition class
Right, she just has a Doctorate Degree while a nutritionist can get their certificate in 2 years easy. My next door neighbor, a manager at an Autozone, has his certificate in nutrition. He's also diabetic. A Doctorate Degree can averagely take 20 years of study to achieve in medicine. I'll put my confidence in a person of known intelligence and experience.

Diabetes is the body's resistance to absorb sugars created by the conversion of carbs. The issue is that the cells in the body are full of intramyocellular lipids. This is how the body stores fats. Because the cells are full of these lipids, the sugars can't get in to do any work resulting the buildup of sugar in the blood. High blood sugar is a symptom, not the cause of diabetes. A low carb diet will reduce the amount of foods being converted to sugar, plain and simple. Keeping to low fats reduces the amount of fats in the blood as well. Some fats, in moderation, can be good for you. These would be the monounsaturated fats and the polyunsaturated fats. Saturated and trans fats are a no-no. You can control all of the above via diet.

So what do you eat? Stay away from "highly processed" anything. These processed foods are generally high in sugar, salt and fats. Read the label on the product, if you can't read an item on the label or it sounds like a chemistry exam, it's generally going to be a highly processed food. Items that say they are whole grain usually aren't- read the label and look for the chemistry. Highly processed foods will contain preservatives, artificial flavors, texturants, and colorants, none of which are healthy. Junk foods are going to be high in sugars, some with lots of chemistry but usually high in carbs. Processed foods are usually low in fiber, look at the fiber content of a "whole grain" bread for an example. Once the grain is crushed making it into flour, the fiber content is finished and worthless. Vegetable oils, if it says "hydrogenated" on it, that makes it high in trans fats and is unhealthy. Of the veggies that are low carb would be those grown above ground and leafy. The highest carbed veggies will those grown underground like a potatoes. The rule of thumb is if it's white or yellow, it's probably high carbed.

There's a ton of info out there and you'll need to do your own research on what is acceptable to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 02:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The rule of thumb is if it's white or yellow, it's probably high carbed.
Cauliflower being a notable exception. I guess the outside is green and leafy but we don't eat that part.
Some people like it as a potato substitute, I just like it as cauliflower. With butter, not margarine.

I like low carb tortillas... they can be used for quite a few things. What are they made of?

Last edited by eaton53; 11-21-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Right, she just has a Doctorate Degree while a nutritionist can get their certificate in 2 years easy. My next door neighbor, a manager at an Autozone, has his certificate in nutrition. He's also diabetic. A Doctorate Degree can averagely take 20 years of study to achieve in medicine. I'll put my confidence in a person of known intelligence and experience.
Look up how many nutrition courses are required in medical school. Generally it's just one or two or none. Next look up how many are required to get a Masters in Nutritional Science. A "certificate" in nutrition does not qualify one as a registered dietician. Put your faith in the person who has the real qualifications and education.

Quote:
Diabetes is the body's resistance to absorb sugars created by the conversion of carbs. The issue is that the cells in the body are full of intramyocellular lipids. This is how the body stores fats. Because the cells are full of these lipids, the sugars can't get in to do any work resulting the buildup of sugar in the blood. High blood sugar is a symptom, not the cause of diabetes. A low carb diet will reduce the amount of foods being converted to sugar, plain and simple. Keeping to low fats reduces the amount of fats in the blood as well. Some fats, in moderation, can be good for you. These would be the monounsaturated fats and the polyunsaturated fats. Saturated and trans fats are a no-no. You can control all of the above via diet.
Yes, you can control this with diet. A low-fat, whole food, unrefined diet.

High fat diets just increases insulin resistance. Of course people's blood glucose level goes down when they drop carbs down to a minimum. Their insulin has no stimulus to be released. When combined with high fat diets, this makes the cells even more resistant to insulin. This is why blood glucose levels rise so significantly when almost any additional carbohydrate is introduced into the diets of people who eat this way.

Quote:
Once the grain is crushed making it into flour, the fiber content is finished and worthless.
This is not true. While a whole grain, "non-flour" food would be somewhat better, turning a whole grain into a whole grain flour does not remove the fiber.

Quote:
The highest carbed veggies will those grown underground like a potatoes. The rule of thumb is if it's white or yellow, it's probably high carbed.
Yes, and there is nothing wrong with either of these.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

Well I thought I was healthy but after physical, my doctor says I am Prediabetic and recommend low carb/fat diet and aerobic exercise. My cholesterol is high as well.

Any help for me on how to reduce cholesterol and out the Prediabetic range?

Test Results
Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot

Currently New Eating Habits is

NO more fried food

Morning Options
1.Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich from Starbucks and cofee
Reduced-Fat Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich | Starbucks Coffee Company

2. Oatmeal

Lunch Options
1. Two Kentucky Grilled Breast and Green beans & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry
2. Tuna on whole wheat bread & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry
3. Something from Subway & & Dannon® Light & Fit® Greek Nonfat Yogurt
Strawberry

Dinner Options
1. Some Grilled (fish, chicken, not sure) and veggies and fruit

Any other options to get me out of the Prediabetic range and lower cholesterol ?

Thank you in advance
Mornings:
Lose the sandwich. Eat eggs. Real bacon every now and then but no bread. Coffee with cream, not skim milk or creamer.
No oatmeal. Too many carbs.

Lunch:
Yogurt should be no sugar added.
Lose the bread
No Subway unless it is a salad with full fat dressing

Dinner:
Some protein, cooked with fat is ok
Veggies
Very limited (if any) fruit

You should not be eating anything with added sugar and you should not eat any bread. You can eat fat. Cook your meat with healthy fat, your eggs in butter (eat more eggs), rich sauces, any veggies you like (with fat is ok).

Old 11-21-2016, 05:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Cook your meat with healthy fat
I grill and grill some more.
I make breakfast wraps (eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese) with the afore mentioned low carb tortillas.
You can also use them to make wraps for lunch, but I usually just eat meat.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:49 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I grill and grill some more.
I make breakfast wraps (eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese) with the afore mentioned low carb tortillas.
You can also use them to make wraps for lunch, but I usually just eat meat.
I love low-carb tortillas! I usually tear one in half and use it to hold my eggs for breakfast, or with cheese or peanut butter for a snack. My favorite is La Tortilla whole wheat. Not as sticky as some of the others.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Mornings:
Lose the sandwich. Eat eggs. Real bacon every now and then but no bread. Coffee with cream, not skim milk or creamer.
No oatmeal. Too many carbs.

Lunch:
Yogurt should be no sugar added.
Lose the bread
No Subway unless it is a salad with full fat dressing

Dinner:
Some protein, cooked with fat is ok
Veggies
Very limited (if any) fruit

You should not be eating anything with added sugar and you should not eat any bread. You can eat fat. Cook your meat with healthy fat, your eggs in butter (eat more eggs), rich sauces, any veggies you like (with fat is ok).
People eat like this and then wonder why they have cancer or heart disease by age 60.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:57 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I love low-carb tortillas! I usually tear one in half and use it to hold my eggs for breakfast, or with cheese or peanut butter for a snack. My favorite is La Tortilla whole wheat. Not as sticky as some of the others.
Low-carb wheat tortillas are my bread, but I only have one per day. I like the 6 g carbs ones, can't remember the name offhand. They are nice for lunch stuffed with spinach, kale, various other raw veggies, sprinkled with nuts, cheese, and some low-fat ranch.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
If someone is a diet-controlled diabetic, no, they cannot eat as much as they want...they eat what their glucometer tells them they can eat.
You are not diet controlled. You take metaformin. Your diabetes is controlled by this drug, not by diet.

Of course people who eat very low carbohydrates are going to have trouble when they try to introduce them into their diet again, since low carbohydrate diet's make insulin resistance worse.

People with type 2 diabetes on plant-based, whole food, high carbohydrate diets are able to eat as much of these types of foods as they like.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Low-carb wheat tortillas are my bread, but I only have one per day. I like the 6 g carbs ones, can't remember the name offhand. They are nice for lunch stuffed with spinach, kale, various other raw veggies, sprinkled with nuts, cheese, and some low-fat ranch.
I say why bother on the low carb tortillas. One regular corn tortilla is 10g - 1g fiber = 9g net carbs. If you are looking at just carbs then the difference in minimal.

Tostadas such as these are 6g net carbs each.
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...stadas/1705651

I realize HEB is a regional brand but there has to be something else that is comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes