Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,383,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
For a long time researchers have believed T2 is caused by intestinal hormones. The switch bypasses some of the small bowel so food never goes there. Hormone production is stimulated by food passing through and if no food passes through...no hormones. And no type 2 diabetes either. And BTW, your cholesterol problems are gone too!

High protein and supplements are necessary because you have less small bowel left to absorb what you eat.

As far as the kidneys go there is now about 30 years worth of data that says the people who are switched have no more issues than the general population and fewer issues than people who are long term diabetic so the diet doesn't seem to be a deterrent. And the basic issue is malabsorbtion so keep in mind what you don't absorb has little effect on the kidneys anyway.

Type 2 diabetes develops when the body becomes resistant to insulin or when the pancreas stops producing enough insulin. Exactly why this happens is unknown, although genetics and environmental factors, such as excess weight and inactivity, seem to be contributing factors.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351193
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,300,376 times
Type 2 diabetes and prediabetes can be reversed. They are caused by a fatty liver and perhaps a fatty pancreas. How do you cure these conditions?

Get yourself down to an ideal weight. With that said, even thin people can be "skinny fat" and suffer from prediabetes because of a combination of too many carbs or alcohol in the diet and a deficiency of choline and betaine in the diet.

Lighten up the carb intake. If you drink, give it up or switch to marijuana. Get a glucose tester and watch your glycemic index and glycemic load while eating. Don't spike your blood sugar super high all the time and eat high carb meals.

Increase your intake of choline and/or betaine. They are methyl donors that help shuttle fat out of the liver. When combined with a calorie deficit you should clear fat from the liver/pancreas over time and your fasting glucose levels should subside indicating you are doing it right.

For a supplement, simply get some choline bitartate 500MG in the yellow bottle and take 1 or 2 of them per day.

For food sources, the best sources of choline are egg yolks and liver.

The best food source of betaine that is also low glycemic would be a bowl of Kellogg's "All Bran" cereal with Almond milk and Protein powder mixed in, or use whole milk. The goal is to reduce the sugar load and slow down absorption. Any wheat based breads, even refined ones, will have betaine content however. It has to be wheat, not corn, rice, etc. The current gluten free craze I've come to see is probably not going to help people's health if they don't get some choline in their diet from eggs as wheat is the biggest major source people of liver cleansing methyl donors in many people's diets. However, given you're reading this thread you're better off taking a choline pill than pounding down a bunch of extra carbs.

Eat lots of leafy green salads, lean meats, eggs, cook with high oleic sunflower oil which can be found at wal-mart, or use canola oil. Try to use the canola based salad dressings for salads instead of soybean oil. My 2 favorites available at wal-fart that are low glycemic are "Just Ranch" along with Brianna's Caesar. Use can also use olive oil based ones assuming they are mostly olive oil, and don't have a lot of soybean filler.

Get moderate exercise. If you want a high carb treat, time it so that you are doing some cardio afterwards which will burn off the glucose from the treat.

Perhaps do some resistance training as well. Take a basic multivitamin.

Don't worry about the studies linking Choline to TMAO to heart problems. Fish have 50X the levels of naturally occuring TMAO as what is produced by intestinal bacteria metabolizing choline and betaine and they conveniently left out the fact that people eating fish should be falling over left and right if their study was true. This would also mean that whole wheat would cause heart problems because betaine will cause similar rises in TMAO as choline if these studies are to be believed. I know people who have eaten eggs their whole lives and lived into their 90's... the choline/TMAO connection is a bunch of bunk. You need choline and betaine to keep fat out of the liver, PERIOD.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-03-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-03-2018, 04:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,005,167 times
^Excellent post

Don't forget that beets are an excellent source of betaine, and the source of the name be(e)taine. Relatively high in sugar, but the fiber and fermentable carbs go a long way to keep blood sugar down and insulin sensitivity up respectively. Whole foods win again.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,427,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Type 1 diabetes, no. The long term possibility for a cure is most likely transplant of Islets of Langerhans and it's being researched but is not available.

There is a cure for Type 2 diabetes and the success rate is right around 95%. And the cure is immediate, no weightloss or dietary changes are required. It's a surgical procedure called the Duodenal Switch. And the big side effect is...wait for it...weight loss! It's been done in Europe to cure diabetes since the 90's. My H had it done in Spain and when he woke up, his diabetes was just gone! It's been done in the US too but it's not common. The postop diet has to be high protein and you have to take vitamin and mineral supplements for the rest of your life. But it's a lot cheaper than diabetic supplies. Or losing your sight or a leg. Diabetes is an industry worth billions of dollars every year.

Don't believe me or any other nutbag on the internet. Go research it for yourself!
I've read that the various bariatric surgeries all work to "cure" type 2 diabetes, by limiting the amount of food that one is able to digest. It seems to me that it's simply another way to manage T2 diabetes, by forcing a person onto a permanent diet. IMO, it is one management solution available, but the surgeries come with drawbacks.

But, as I told my doctor, it's my opinion that I've been cut on enough already by surgeons (resulting in side effects not properly explained to me beforehand) and I'd like to first pursue a change in exercise habits and eating habits before having a surgeon permanently and irreversibly re-plumb my digestive tract.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I've read that the various bariatric surgeries all work to "cure" type 2 diabetes, by limiting the amount of food that one is able to digest. It seems to me that it's simply another way to manage T2 diabetes, by forcing a person onto a permanent diet. IMO, it is one management solution available, but the surgeries come with drawbacks.

But, as I told my doctor, it's my opinion that I've been cut on enough already by surgeons (resulting in side effects not properly explained to me beforehand) and I'd like to first pursue a change in exercise habits and eating habits before having a surgeon permanently and irreversibly re-plumb my digestive tract.
This has been known to work for some (a few) people. Obviously, everyone is different and not everyone that has Type 2 diabetes is obese enough to warrant bariatric surgery. Even then, the surgery does not work on everyone in reversing the condition. I suspect it has to do with the large intestine of which a part is removed in classic "gastic bypass" surgery. Other surgeries such as "lap band" would not have this effect.

Unveiling the “Magic” of Diabetes Remission After Weight-Loss Surgery

Without the surgery you are faced with this
Type 2 Diabetes Remission Without Surgery Does Happen—But Very Rarely

Old 01-05-2018, 06:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,236,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This has been known to work for some (a few) people. Obviously, everyone is different and not everyone that has Type 2 diabetes is obese enough to warrant bariatric surgery. Even then, the surgery does not work on everyone in reversing the condition. I suspect it has to do with the large intestine of which a part is removed in classic "gastic bypass" surgery. Other surgeries such as "lap band" would not have this effect.

Unveiling the “Magic” of Diabetes Remission After Weight-Loss Surgery

Without the surgery you are faced with this
Type 2 Diabetes Remission Without Surgery Does Happen—But Very Rarely
The "classic" gastric bypass surgery performed in the US is the Roux-en-Y bypass this does not involve any removal of a portion of the large intestine....

Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The "classic" gastric bypass surgery performed in the US is the Roux-en-Y bypass this does not involve any removal of a portion of the large intestine....
You are correct. Admittedly, I do not know a lot about bariatric surgery and was thinking of something else. In the "classic" procedure the small intestine is bypassed to a degree. It seems, that somehow affects T2D. I don't even think that doctors know exactly how it works.

I first found out about this on TV on 60 minutes. Here's a little more on that piece.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-stu...cure-diabetes/

Old 01-09-2018, 12:31 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,119,296 times
My recently diagnosed T2 diabetes has all but vanished due to weight loss, mild exercise and alcohol abstinence. Oh, how I miss that bottle or two of Merlot every night...

Beets and leafy greens are definitely wonderful foods. And yes, man-made EMF is wonderfully harmless.

Talking of beets, I'm getting to really love this powdered/concentrated additive:

Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM

240 posts, read 586,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, that kinda sucks.

My BS tends responds quite nicely when I get in good shape and minimize bodyfat. Strictly limiting carbs is probably the most effective for me, when it comes to blood-sugar control.
This covers it very well.
I've have actually known about same number of slender (never been fat) diabetics as I have fat diabetics. That is not to say being fat has nothing to do with it. It certainly doesn't help matters. I was around a hundred pounds over weight and lost 80 pounds BEFORE I was diagnosed as diabetic. I did fall for that borderline myth for a long time, however. Being borderline is very nearly the same as being a little bit pregnant. It simple doesn't exist. If you start behaving like you are diabetic when you are borderline, however it won't hurt a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes