Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 AM

7,273 posts, read 5,154,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That was very interesting. So if you are diagnosed with diabetes do they test to determine what the exact problem is.... or does it "not matter" because treatment is the same?

At this point, it doesn't matter because we don't know enough & don't have the tools to efficiently test for and treat the subtle causes-- although we're getting there, now that we have some incretin analogs to work with. Maybe someday...

For insulin resistance, the trick is to catch it before the Islet cells burn themselves out. Just don't eat so much. Those with this condition only need maybe half as many calories as "normals" to maintain health & body weight. (Who's "normal?"-- the people who can get by on 600cal/d or the ones who need 1200 or more?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
If you want to check your insulin resistance there is a test you could do. All you need are two other results from your regular lab work, fasting glucose and fasting insulin.

As an example, I plugged in my numbers from last test. My glucose was 96 and my insulin was 10.69 so my HOMA-IR was 2.5. I am a full diabetic and I took the tests after a week of eating just one meal a day (OMAD) which did seem to help a lot in bringing insulin levels down. Note: The test is designed for T2's that do not inject insulin. They have to make it on their own.

Here is the calculator I used. It is called HOMA-IR (Homeostatic Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance)
https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/

Healthy Range: 1.0 (0.5–1.4)
Less than 1.0 means you are insulin-sensitive which is optimal.
Above 1.9 indicates early insulin resistance.
Above 2.9 indicates significant insulin resistance.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
That was very interesting. So if you are diagnosed with diabetes do they test to determine what the exact problem is.... or does it "not matter" because treatment is the same?
Treatment is the same which was the point of my post. If they are not treating the cause it could progress in essence being left untreated.

Just curious, have you seen an Endo? Most likely a GP or MD would not be doing the tests necessary to determine the cause of your Pre-D.

I personally have never seen an Endo. It seems I find better resources on the internet. My case is pretty classic among diabetics, yours is not it apparently. There are a number of tests that can be done. Another I have not mentioned is the C-Peptide test which shows how well your body makes insulin. You may be insulin deficient?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The real physiological function of insulin is to cause lipogenesis and inhibit lipolysis, that is- control fat metabolism.
Exactly, this is what I've been telling other folks in the Diet forum. Insulin is the fat storage hormone. It's best to keep levels down at all times. If we eat sweets/refined carbs on a constant basis, insulin will skyrocket and stay high leading to more problems down the road.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Treatment is the same which was the point of my post. If they are not treating the cause it could progress in essence being left untreated.

Just curious, have you seen an Endo? Most likely a GP or MD would not be doing the tests necessary to determine the cause of your Pre-D.

I personally have never seen an Endo. It seems I find better resources on the internet. My case is pretty classic among diabetics, yours is not it apparently. There are a number of tests that can be done. Another I have not mentioned is the C-Peptide test which shows how well your body makes insulin. You may be insulin deficient?
No, I have not seen an endo. I planned on talking to my GP about it because while I knocked down my A1C by diet, my blood glucose is still high after fasting, and THEN I remembered I have gastroparesis (ideopathic) so that can really mess up your blood glucose readings post meal (2hr), so while I thought my post meal numbers looked good, I may be testing at the wrong time, because my digestion is twice as long as the standard rate.

So there are 2 things I need help with, high fasting blood sugar, and figuring out when to test post meal.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM

7,273 posts, read 5,154,617 times
Quote:
No, I have not seen an endo. I planned on talking to my GP about it because while I knocked down my A1C by diet, my blood glucose is still high after fasting, and THEN I remembered I have gastroparesis (ideopathic) so that can really mess up your blood glucose readings post meal (2hr), so while I thought my post meal numbers looked good, I may be testing at the wrong time, because my digestion is twice as long as the standard rate.

So there are 2 things I need help with, high fasting blood sugar, and figuring out when to test post meal.

Don't obsess over it. The target for treated diabetes is HbA1c 7.0. There doesn't seem to be a benefit in terms of complication rates when lower levels are achieved. (Despite the recent fad of insisting on lower levels.) Your fasting level is immaterial as long as your A1c is good.

For many diabetics, incretin secretion is delayed/impaired leading to a delayed initial burst of insulin secretion as you start eating. That leads to an elevated post prandial BS and your insulin secretion is always "playing catch-up'"

A frequent complication of treated diabetes is a delayed or prolonged effect of meds leading to a degree of hypoglycemia while you're sleeping. That in turn induces a rebound reflex, maybe too vigorous, to get your BS back up, and a high AM fasting BS is recorded. (Somogyi effect)

Gastroparesis is a common complication of diabetes. Idiopathic is Greek for "we don't know why."

Some diabetics do better when they nibble all day long without sitting down to any large meals. That avoids the need to have that initial squirt of insulin but also harder to keep the calorie count down.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
I am on no meds.

My gastroparesis pre-dates any blood sugar issues by decades.

That's why I specified ideopathic, not caused by diabetes, it just "is" since I was in my early 20s (51 now).

I seem to have some problem with my vagus nerve, so it is probably that.

Still, thank you for the info!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times
I signed up for the free month of dietdoctor.com, but it's so meat-centric, I know I can't do it. I'm not vegetarian, but I don't want meat at every meal, let alone a constant diet of bacon.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I signed up for the free month of dietdoctor.com, but it's so meat-centric, I know I can't do it. I'm not vegetarian, but I don't want meat at every meal, let alone a constant diet of bacon.
It's VERY important to balance your meals with plenty of vegetables. Too much protein is not good. I enjoy my meat but make it a point to also eat veggies. You not only need the fiber and nutrients from them but they help you detoxify. The bacon thing is a myth, keep reading. It's not necessary to eat any bacon if you don't want to. I would say not more than 4 to 6 oz of protein per meal is ideal and since you need calories for energy and you will be getting much less from carbs, you have to increase the fats from healthy sources like nuts/seeds, avocado, EVOO, dairy etc..

Check out his chart and use your imagination to create meals with them.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

I did take a look at their recipes and they do seem a bit "meat-centric" as you describe which is fine but you can add a lot of veggie side dishes to balance. I would recommend some FB groups and/or YT channels for a lot of recipe ideas. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:34 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,902,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's VERY important to balance your meals with plenty of vegetables. Too much protein is not good. I enjoy my meat but make it a point to also eat veggies. You not only need the fiber and nutrients from them but they help you detoxify. The bacon thing is a myth, keep reading. It's not necessary to eat any bacon if you don't want to. I would say not more than 4 to 6 oz of protein per meal is ideal and since you need calories for energy and you will be getting much less from carbs, you have to increase the fats from healthy sources like nuts/seeds, avocado, EVOO, dairy etc..

Check out his chart and use your imagination to create meals with them.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

I did take a look at their recipes and they do seem a bit "meat-centric" as you describe which is fine but you can add a lot of veggie side dishes to balance. I would recommend some FB groups and/or YT channels for a lot of recipe ideas. Let me know if you are interested.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gguerra again."

Thanks for this info. I went from one of the doctor videos straight to meal planning. I missed the page on vegetables. Today I ate some chili (w/ground beef), tuna w/mayo, blueberries, celery and spices, and I will have more chili for dinner. I have tomatoes waiting to become a Caprese salad. I have to get some basil and mozzarella tomorrow. Just going to take it a day at a time.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes