Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times

Advertisements

This may enlighten some people especially anyone newly diagnosed with T2 diabetes.

The guy is basically saying you have to treat disease and not the symptom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2Fsfa8e4I&t=10s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,354,268 times
Dr. Fung has been around and doing this for a while. I have listened to him. He is an Endocrinologist in Canada. He is a big proponent of IF. I like what he says and he doesn't soft peddle anything.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:40 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Lower sugar and refined carbs, and exercise. Nothing new there.

I'm not sure how fasting applies to those that have high fasting glucose though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 AM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
In one of the old Andy Hardy movies there's the very dramatic scene where Andy's mother has pneumonia and they're all waiting for "the crisis"-- the point where the pt's fever finally breaks and she starts to recover. Before antibiotics, they had no real way to treat infection, and they came to the conclusion that a lower temp caused improvement, rather than being the result of improvement. Using aspirin to lower the temp doesn't improve the outcome.

So it is with how we treat diabetes. Archeologists 2000 yrs from now will dig up our civilization and read our medical books and laugh at us for being so obsessed with maintaining normal BSs. They'll say "What fools! Didn't they know diabetes is really a problem of _____?"

We know there's something that goes in that blank. We just don't yet know what it is.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:02 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,354,268 times
It has to do with burning fat stores.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Except those who are not overweight? and have low body fat?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,983,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

I'm type 2 and weigh 114 pounds, my fat stores don't exist. Please explain diabetes to me again.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm type 2 and weigh 114 pounds, my fat stores don't exist. Please explain diabetes to me again.
I'm guessing some of you did not watch the video. Yes, the title is misleading (a bit). He is stating that most doctors deal with T2 diabetes by treating high blood sugar with pills, insulin etc. This is a sure way to have your disease/condition progress. His main point is that we need to treat what is the main cause of T2 diabetes and that is insulin resistance. I say main because there are exceptions to this. I know some T2's don't have insulin resistance and are thin and fit, like Mikala and Oldgardener. This IS NOT about you.. The overwhelming majority of T2's (including myself) have IR, are not thin and fit and THAT is what should be addressed, not just the blood sugar issues. There are no pills to treat insulin resistance. The only way to do that is the proper diet and exercise and yes fasting helps tremendously. There are also people that are not obese and are insulin resistant. This is a a complicated disease. For the typical T2 diabetic who is obese/overweight this would certainly apply.

Insulin Resistance Is Not Necessarily an Essential Component of Type 2 Diabetes

Last edited by gguerra; 06-11-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 06:43 PM

7,279 posts, read 5,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
... This is a a complicated disease. For the typical T2 diabetic who is obese/overweight this would certainly apply.

Exactly. Diabetes is not one disease but a class of diseases just like "infection" is a class of diverse diseases caused by various microbes.

In diabetes, the final common pathway is high BS, but that could be the result of inadequate insulin production, inadequate insulin receptors, altered insulin, inadequate timing of insulin production, abnormalities in function of co-operating hormones like glucagon, cortisone or the several incretins, etc etc.

The most common type is insulin resistance, which is genetically controlled and evolved as a beneficial adaptation in an environment where calories were hard to come by.

BTW- we're all taught that insulin is "required" to get glucose into cells because Banting first discovered the BS lowering effect of homogenized pancreatic tissue and then he isolated insulin, the active factor. But in fact, the kidneys are the only cells that require insulin in order to function. Other cells, particularly myocytes, don't need it to use glucose. The real physiological function of insulin is to cause lipogenesis and inhibit lipolysis, that is- control fat metabolism.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Exactly. Diabetes is not one disease but a class of diseases just like "infection" is a class of diverse diseases caused by various microbes.

In diabetes, the final common pathway is high BS, but that could be the result of inadequate insulin production, inadequate insulin receptors, altered insulin, inadequate timing of insulin production, abnormalities in function of co-operating hormones like glucagon, cortisone or the several incretins, etc etc.

The most common type is insulin resistance, which is genetically controlled and evolved as a beneficial adaptation in an environment where calories were hard to come by.

BTW- we're all taught that insulin is "required" to get glucose into cells because Banting first discovered the BS lowering effect of homogenized pancreatic tissue and then he isolated insulin, the active factor. But in fact, the kidneys are the only cells that require insulin in order to function. Other cells, particularly myocytes, don't need it to use glucose. The real physiological function of insulin is to cause lipogenesis and inhibit lipolysis, that is- control fat metabolism.
That was very interesting. So if you are diagnosed with diabetes do they test to determine what the exact problem is.... or does it "not matter" because treatment is the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes