Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 07:23 PM

257 posts, read 165,592 times

Advertisements

Just sent away for some Kevlar toe socks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9z3RQFtJjQ

So I bought this totally kick butt surf caster at a yard sale a few weeks ago and I am going to want to walk in the water but that's really really asking for a cut and infection. I go barefoot everywhere but that was one thing I gave up as stepping on a sharp shell and getting cut is inevitable. Can't see them.

Ordered these www.amazon.com/Parallaxx-Abrasion-Resistant-Protection-Kiteboarding/dp/B08MQ6MQY1

I don't know yet. Are they as tough as those fillet gloves in the bait shop?

Im just convinced by all that barefoot running and minimal running shoe stuff I read that its the best way to hold off all those complications I read about when going to 'Google diabetes school' after my diagnosis.

Don't much recommend 'Google school' for diabetes, random web pages had me all bummed out that all these bad things were going to happen that haven't.

And like I said in the other thread if shoes cause so many problems for non diabetics the worst advice has to be wear them every waking moment. Every foot problem is caused by shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 11:09 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I keep my feet healthy by wearing comfortable, quality shoes.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:53 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
"Socks" tough enough to protect feet from minor injuries are basically shoes. They simply have less structure. If the wearer hopes to get the benefits of earthing/grounding, they probably won't be getting it wearing Kevlar. The stuff is supposed to be impermeable. Seems counterintuitive.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Me too. For me I like Nike Pegasus during the summer and get the Shield version for winters. Most other shoes make my feet hurt. I have a few pair and try to wear a different pair everyday. That also seems to make a big difference for me.

I have one of these old vibrators. I put it on the floor and hold the handle as it rub the bottoms of my feet across it. I really should do it more often. I usually only use it when my feet get sore. It really helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Keeping feet healthy - What do you do?-acuvibe.jpg  

Old 12-22-2022, 07:43 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
"Socks" tough enough to protect feet from minor injuries are basically shoes. They simply have less structure. If the wearer hopes to get the benefits of earthing/grounding, they probably won't be getting it wearing Kevlar. The stuff is supposed to be impermeable. Seems counterintuitive.
Yes. Just wearing socks (made of natural materials) works too.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:22 AM

257 posts, read 165,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Thats not entirely what I am after.

Our feet have 26 bones, 33 joints and 19 muscles... I want to keep them strong and healthy.

We seem to live in a cultures that discourage going barefoot. Unfortunately, going barefoot is essential to training our natural proprioceptive capacity.

Some paste:

The brain, just like muscles, bones and connective tissue operates on the “use it or lose it” principle. Meaning, if an area of the brain is not stimulated it will atrophy, weaken and shrink. Conversely, if an area of the brain is stimulated regularly and used routinely, it can grow in both size and in the number of neuronal connections. This is the basis for the phenomenon of ‘neuroplasticity,” which is the ability of the brain to change and grow throughout adulthood.

To understand the benefits going barefoot has on the brain, we need to understand the “homunculus.” Homunculus is Latin for “little person” and in the context of biology, is the word used to describe the brain’s model for the body. There are two divisions of the homunculus—the sensory and the motor. The sensory homunculus is the area of the brain where the body is mapped out in proportion to the density of sensory neurons that correspond to various parts of the body. The motor homunculus is the area where the map is based on motor function. Areas of the body that have a higher density of neurons for either sensory or motor function take up a more extensive section of the brain (which is why the pictorial depiction of the homunculus is so strange-looking). When we use a particular body part more routinely for either feeling or moving, the homunculus in the corresponding area of the brain is stimulated and becomes more developed. With more use, a higher resolution map of that particular area forms in the brain. More: https://correcttoes.com/foot-help/ho...ts-your-brain/

So my own take on this, I started going barefoot regularly well before this diabetes diagnosis and regained my natural ability to do so. It became as natural as going bare handed. I even worked a construction sites barefoot for a wile. Had a friend who would call if he needed extra help. Had to mix like 100 of bags of concrete and wheelbarrow them dump and repeat. Other workers doing other stuff giving me slack about it.

Guess they assume I was like them when barefoot, all awkward and requiring constant attention to foot placement and watching out. That all becomes completely automatic once you get the shoes off for a week or two. Your not "barefoot" anymore.

Just like typing on this keyboard. Not much thought goes into where the next letter is, its all mapped out and automatic now.

Hope I don't bring bad luck on myself but you very very rarely stub a toe or miss step on anything. Your brain works again just like we don't bang our heads on things or hurt our hands.

Back to those 26 bones, 33 joints and 19 muscles... and 7000+ nerves in each foot. Stuff them in shoe they go all sedentary. I believe that use it or lose it principle.

What happened to me for sure and I guess most people is that after regaining ones barefoot abilities you don't like having your feet shut off and crammed in shoes again. That becomes the unnatural situation.Guess that's why I sound like the people that write these go barefoot articles, we learn to hate wearing shoes!

Old 12-22-2022, 10:31 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Thats not entirely what I am after.

Our feet have 26 bones, 33 joints and 19 muscles... I want to keep them strong and healthy.

We seem to live in a cultures that discourage going barefoot. Unfortunately, going barefoot is essential to training our natural proprioceptive capacity.

Some paste:

The brain, just like muscles, bones and connective tissue operates on the “use it or lose it” principle. Meaning, if an area of the brain is not stimulated it will atrophy, weaken and shrink. Conversely, if an area of the brain is stimulated regularly and used routinely, it can grow in both size and in the number of neuronal connections. This is the basis for the phenomenon of ‘neuroplasticity,” which is the ability of the brain to change and grow throughout adulthood.

To understand the benefits going barefoot has on the brain, we need to understand the “homunculus.” Homunculus is Latin for “little person” and in the context of biology, is the word used to describe the brain’s model for the body. There are two divisions of the homunculus—the sensory and the motor. The sensory homunculus is the area of the brain where the body is mapped out in proportion to the density of sensory neurons that correspond to various parts of the body. The motor homunculus is the area where the map is based on motor function. Areas of the body that have a higher density of neurons for either sensory or motor function take up a more extensive section of the brain (which is why the pictorial depiction of the homunculus is so strange-looking). When we use a particular body part more routinely for either feeling or moving, the homunculus in the corresponding area of the brain is stimulated and becomes more developed. With more use, a higher resolution map of that particular area forms in the brain. More: https://correcttoes.com/foot-help/ho...ts-your-brain/

So my own take on this, I started going barefoot regularly well before this diabetes diagnosis and regained my natural ability to do so. It became as natural as going bare handed. I even worked a construction sites barefoot for a wile. Had a friend who would call if he needed extra help. Had to mix like 100 of bags of concrete and wheelbarrow them dump and repeat. Other workers doing other stuff giving me slack about it.

Guess they assume I was like them when barefoot, all awkward and requiring constant attention to foot placement and watching out. That all becomes completely automatic once you get the shoes off for a week or two. Your not "barefoot" anymore.

Just like typing on this keyboard. Not much thought goes into where the next letter is, its all mapped out and automatic now.

Hope I don't bring bad luck on myself but you very very rarely stub a toe or miss step on anything. Your brain works again just like we don't bang our heads on things or hurt our hands.

Back to those 26 bones, 33 joints and 19 muscles... and 7000+ nerves in each foot. Stuff them in shoe they go all sedentary. I believe that use it or lose it principle.

What happened to me for sure and I guess most people is that after regaining ones barefoot abilities you don't like having your feet shut off and crammed in shoes again. That becomes the unnatural situation.Guess that's why I sound like the people that write these go barefoot articles, we learn to hate wearing shoes!
I have found the exact opposite to be true for me. Every time I have ever went without shoes my feet build up a giant callus on the bottom/sides and I lose most feeling in my feet. They also hurt all the time. To be fair it could be because I crushed both feet in a accident in my early teens.

I do have friends like you that are barefoot most of the summer. So it is kinda like our diabetes, do what works for you.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:33 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
I asked my podiatrist for recommendations. I rarely stray from his suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes