Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times

Advertisements

Here's some good advice from MSN and Men's Health magazine about how to control blood sugar as type II diabete's is exploding.

Exercise like it's a presciption
Sprinkle Cinnamon on everything
Take Alpha Lipoic Acid
Skip Sports Drinks
Invest in a glucose monitor
Snack on Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
Eat every 2 to 3 hours
Check your meds

8 Ways to Control Your Blood Sugar - 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Diabetes Slide Show (http://health.msn.com/health-topics/diabetes/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100202855&imageindex=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Great ideas. Thanks for posting!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
I like those ideas as well, pumpkin seeds are a good idea as they reduce the risk of prostate cancer also.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,362,856 times
What if a person has limitations for exercising? I've had a hip replacement and a rotor cup surgery on my shoulder. Hip starts to bother me if I walk to much and I can't do much lifting with the one shoulder. Both surgeons told me "absolutely no high impact exercising" and "just be careful of what you do do for exercises, you don't want to injury the hip or shoulder that surgery was done on or surgery will have to be done again!"
So, just what do I do when it comes to exercise????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Here's some good advice from MSN and Men's Health magazine about how to control blood sugar as type II diabete's is exploding.

Exercise like it's a presciption
Sprinkle Cinnamon on everything
Take Alpha Lipoic Acid
Skip Sports Drinks
Invest in a glucose monitor
Snack on Pumpkin or Sunflower Seeds
Eat every 2 to 3 hours
Check your meds

8 Ways to Control Your Blood Sugar - 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Diabetes Slide Show (http://health.msn.com/health-topics/diabetes/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100202855&imageindex=1 - broken link)

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What if a person has limitations for exercising? I've had a hip replacement and a rotor cup surgery on my shoulder. Hip starts to bother me if I walk to much and I can't do much lifting with the one shoulder. Both surgeons told me "absolutely no high impact exercising" and "just be careful of what you do do for exercises, you don't want to injury the hip or shoulder that surgery was done on or surgery will have to be done again!"
So, just what do I do when it comes to exercise????
Well i haven't had the surgeries you've had Loveboating.......but how about swimming as i always read or hear about people with arthritis or other degenerative bone/ligament disorders doing well with swimming. One of the gyms where i'm a member at which is the YMCA i see the little old ladies (Most of their hubby's have died off) that are in their 70's and yes 80's that move and walk real slow and yet they swim almost every day.

Also i would think a Recumbent Exercise Bike would be easier on your hip compared to other bikes as well.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:59 PM

YES, swimming.....love it! After going in our pool a few times this last summer, I felt really good each time. I can do some walking, but just have to watch how much. A year ago I weighed 246 pounds. A few months later, I weighed 234 and three weeks ago I weighed in at 211. My doctor asked me if I've been on a diet and I said "no". After my blood results came back, he told me that I had lost the weight due urinating so much fat/calories out of my body. News to me!! Anyway, we are in the process of moving from NC to northern Florida due to the weather here. Due to the warmer year-around weather there, we will be able to get more exercise.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,748 times
You might want to look into a raw food diet. Raw for Thirty Presents

Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
YES, swimming.....love it! After going in our pool a few times this last summer, I felt really good each time. I can do some walking, but just have to watch how much. A year ago I weighed 246 pounds. A few months later, I weighed 234 and three weeks ago I weighed in at 211. My doctor asked me if I've been on a diet and I said "no". After my blood results came back, he told me that I had lost the weight due urinating so much fat/calories out of my body. News to me!! Anyway, we are in the process of moving from NC to northern Florida due to the weather here. Due to the warmer year-around weather there, we will be able to get more exercise.
Sounds like a plan LoveBoating as that's one of the reasons i keep my YMCA membership as i love to swim myself . Did i mention Racquetball also .

Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 AM

Can't do Racquetball......way too much of "impact" sport for me. Both of my surgeons would kill me (figuratively speaking of course) if they knew that I was doing that!! Remember, I had a hip replacement and rotor cup/shoulder surgery. But, the swimming and some walking will definitly help me.
By the way, where at and how often should a person do the blood glucose test? Websites that I have read, vary on these two. I get a descent reading first thing in the AM before breakfast, but is that a good one since I haven't eaten yet? I've also been testing on my finger, but what about the thigh and forearm? This can be crazy trying to figure out the "best" in testing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Sounds like a plan LoveBoating as that's one of the reasons i keep my YMCA membership as i love to swim myself . Did i mention Racquetball also .

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Can't do Racquetball......way too much of "impact" sport for me. Both of my surgeons would kill me (figuratively speaking of course) if they knew that I was doing that!! Remember, I had a hip replacement and rotor cup/shoulder surgery. But, the swimming and some walking will definitly help me.
I should have specifically said that i love the ''Y'' because i can play racquetball there where as my hardcore gym doesn't have that or swimming. They have lanes blocked off for lap swimming which is great at the indoor pool there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes