Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times

Advertisements

If you liken a diabetics metabolism to a campfire, you 'll notice right before its ready to go out if you throw a hand full of saw dust on the fire ( processed food and sugar) it will flare up for a minute and die back down. If you throw a seasoned log on it (whole foods) it will burn perpetually at the same level.

diabetics (as should we all ) eat food with little or no processing to help regulate their metabolisms.
oat meal, peanut butter, raw veggies and fruits ( the sugar in fruits is not as processed), and low calorie proteins.

When several members of my family began getting diabetes over twenty years ago ( some have died as a result of this illness) , I decided I would start behaving like a "good" diabetic. I walk, eat less meat, and lots of whole foods and I still binge on cookies now and then. Every one is still waiting for me to join the club but my last check up less than a year ago, my blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar issues are non-existent.

I am not a small person. (over six foot,over two hundred pounds) but I realise that as few calories that I eat I could easily be a diabetic, I am prolly about 15 pounds over weight .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
I'd like to ask about the HbA1C readings. I've been reading the threads in this forum, plus some online info about Diabetes and I'm confused.

What is a good A1C for a regular person? What makes a bad number and turns you into a diabetic?
Sometimes I see less than 7 is good. Sometimes, more than 6 is bad. And so on.

I've been having some symptoms and a had fasting labs the other day. Everything was good but my A1C, which I had asked my doctor to order because of these strange symptoms, came out 6.3.

Is that bad or good? I've never been a diabetic or had liver problems or anything so I don't know if now I am, am going to be, need to do something, etc?

I haven't spoken to the doctor. The 6.3 was via the secretary. I am also not going to be seeing this doctor anymore as she hasn't even tried to call me, nor her nurse and I had my blood tests 11 days ago.

Do you guys have any ideas, advice? I don't want to hijack the thread but I thought this might be a good place to ask. Thanks.

I made my own appt. with an endocrinologist but I don't see him until Nov. 30th.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
AFAIK, that is a good number for a non-diabetic. But since I've only read up on stuff since I became one, I could be wrong. The goal for me is to be around 7. If I am in the low 7s, like 7.3, my lipid profile is A-OK as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
AFAIK, that is a good number for a non-diabetic. But since I've only read up on stuff since I became one, I could be wrong. The goal for me is to be around 7. If I am in the low 7s, like 7.3, my lipid profile is A-OK as well.
so what makes one a diabetic?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:22 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I'd like to ask about the HbA1C readings. I've been reading the threads in this forum, plus some online info about Diabetes and I'm confused.

What is a good A1C for a regular person? What makes a bad number and turns you into a diabetic?
Sometimes I see less than 7 is good. Sometimes, more than 6 is bad. And so on.

I've been having some symptoms and a had fasting labs the other day. Everything was good but my A1C, which I had asked my doctor to order because of these strange symptoms, came out 6.3.

I haven't spoken to the doctor. The 6.3 was via the secretary. I am also not going to be seeing this doctor anymore as she hasn't even tried to call me, nor her nurse and I had my blood tests 11 days ago.

I made my own appt. with an endocrinologist but I don't see him until Nov. 30th.
The A1c should be under 7 for a diabetic. Non-diabetics, I believe are under 6. You may be borderline.
You should go over your tests with the Endocrinologist and ask questions as it is your life.
You said you are having symptoms but those maybe from something totally different!
So be good to yourself and bug your doctor for more information!

Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
The A1c should be under 7 for a diabetic. Non-diabetics, I believe are under 6. You may be borderline.
You should go over your tests with the Endocrinologist and ask questions as it is your life.
You said you are having symptoms but those maybe from something totally different!
LOL... Trust me, bug I will! I have lots to discuss with the endocrinologist now.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
So do you think it's a matter of diet? Could I lose weight, stop the sweet tooth, exercise, etc. (do the right things) and that A1C would go down on its own?
Do you become borderline or cross the line due to those factors? both my mother and maternal grandmother have/had DM2 but at a much later stage in their lives than I if I have it now.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
So do you think it's a matter of diet? Could I lose weight, stop the sweet tooth, exercise, etc. (do the right things) and that A1C would go down on its own?
Do you become borderline or cross the line due to those factors? both my mother and maternal grandmother have/had DM2 but at a much later stage in their lives than I if I have it now.
IMHO the prevalence of Type 2 is due a higher incidence of obesity. Humans are not used to the easy calories we have available. So we gain weight and start on the road to insulin resistance. I read that 75% of type diabetics can bring their blood sugar back to normal if their weight is normal. Of course, that is easier said than done. I have a friend that was diagnosed with type2 and then went on a diet and exercise program. One year later his weight and glucose was normal. And, he eliminated all oral meds. It was amazing. But, then he is a fanatic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes