Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I try to be healthy during the week. We get together with my husband's family every weekend. Food equals love and social time to them. Out comes the pecan pie and chips...etc. I have no willpower, so I join them. Can you empathize with me?
I can empathize but you are the one sabotaging your diet. No one MAKES you eat anything you don't want to eat. Why not make a small piece of pie part of your overall eating plan for the week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The 15 year old. Well, not so much as he sabotages it, but its his mom who tends to make food that he likes.

I prefer all of my pastas to be whole wheat, he hates whole wheat. He also wants us to keep the fridge stocked with Capri Sun, Coke, ice cream, etc. so I have to avoid all of that stuff. Im trying to get him to stop eating that crappy white pasta and crappy white bread and go for whole wheat instead but he just lifts up his shirt points to his six pack abs and says "My abs says I can eat what I want".
At the beginning of my lifestyle change, I couldnt stomach whole wheat pasta. There is one called Smart Taste that I used in transition to whole wheat.
This is something that I fight with my husband about too. Since I do the shopping, fixing of meals and everything, he has to eat what I have prepared and purchased.
Please dont take this the wrong way, but if he wants capri suns, cokes, ice cream, white breads etc, then he can buy them with his money. As for the abs, yeah, I had an 6 pack when I was younger...I was getting one again but its under my flabby baby belly.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
No one. I just factor in the proper portion of "bad foods". I think saying any food is totally off limits just makes you throw in the towel and eat it. But if you know how much of it you can have, you still have it and your weightloss too. Proper portions of those things make them much more enjoyable. If your family eats that way on the weekends look up the calories and see what the non-detrimental amount you can have is.
Flexibility and balance of diet is key in long term weight control. Eat realistically, not idealistically.

I don't think you should get your kids junk at all. Start em off right so they won't have to be doing what you are 20 years down the road. If they moan about it, well there is the first life lesson. YOU DON'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT. I noticed with kids too if you give them the real version of what that junk is suppose to be faking..they like it much more.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,161 times
Pitt- its the funniest thing. My kids wont eat chocolate. At church one day my youngest wanted a pretzel and the lady in the classroom with her offered her an M&M which she refused. She was shocked that she wanted the pretzel. My oldest if you give him a choice between a cookie or blueberries he would choose blueberries.
Its purely their choices, they just dont like chocolate. As for kids snacks its peanut butter crackers, cheese sticks, pretzels, fruit, apple and eve juice, simply apple, simply orange, almonds, and peanuts are just a few things they like.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Sabotaging takes place at least once a week for me. My problem is that I like to eat.

The office junk food vent thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I can empathize but you are the one sabotaging your diet. No one MAKES you eat anything you don't want to eat. Why not make a small piece of pie part of your overall eating plan for the week?

I don't agree with the above. Its not that easy to stick to a diet. It takes alot of willpower.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Who said it was easy?

Still, willpower is a choice. It is no one's fault but your own if you don't have it.

This is harder to swallow than pecan pie but it's the truth.

"Will(power) is character in action." William McDougall

Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
"Will(power) is character in action." William McDougall
I love this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss