Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
First, congratulations on the weight loss! It's not an easy thing to do.

But please, oh please don't give your 16-year-old your hand-me-downs when you've outgrown them. I can't think of anything more demoralizing for a teenager. I know you mean well, but I can't imagine that this would be perceived as anything more than a slap in the face to a young girl with weight issues.

Instead, get the junk food out of the house and gently encourage her to exercise with you. Don't nag or criticize. Just set a good example and help make exercise opportunities available.
Actually, her fashion sense (or lack of) is pretty much like mine. I do not think she will have a problem with it. She is the type who really does not care about clothes anyway as long as she has clean ones to wear.We buy everything at thrift stores and it can be hard to find anything that fits us. My stuff may not even fit her anyway. I'll ask her and let her pick and choose if she wants to keep anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamom1970 View Post
Actually, her fashion sense (or lack of) is pretty much like mine. I do not think she will have a problem with it. She is the type who really does not care about clothes anyway as long as she has clean ones to wear.We buy everything at thrift stores and it can be hard to find anything that fits us. My stuff may not even fit her anyway. I'll ask her and let her pick and choose if she wants to keep anything.
That's a good way to do it...just make a stack of your clothes that no longer fit and let her have first dibs, then take the rest to your favorite charity. Yay for the tax deduction!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
I got you. When I first read your post it sort of sounded like you wanted to taunt her with your weight loss to inspire her to lose weight. As long as she's okay with it and you're not making her wear your hand-me-downs it sounds like a good plan all around.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I got you. When I first read your post it sort of sounded like you wanted to taunt her with your weight loss to inspire her to lose weight. As long as she's okay with it and you're not making her wear your hand-me-downs it sounds like a good plan all around.
She seems okay with it. I have tried to discuss her weight with her, especially when she got bigger than me. I think if she would exercise more she would start to lose and I rarely buy chips, soda pop ect unless it is one of our birthdays. She has congenital hypotonia so that makes it harder for her. I also think she may be on the very high functioning end of the autism spectrum as her thirteen year old sister is a very low functioning non-verbal autistic. If she is then getting her to change her routine is going to be very difficult.

I just want her to see how good I look and feel when I finish losing this weight while I am still young enough. I will be forty in October and if I can stay on track I will be almost forty-one when I am done. I just decided that I wanted to try to avoid the health issues that come later in life when a person is overweight. I have been blessed that I have stayed very healthy in spite of my weight.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
She seems okay with it. I have tried to discuss her weight with her, especially when she got bigger than me. I think if she would exercise more she would start to lose and I rarely buy chips, soda pop ect unless it is one of our birthdays. She has congenital hypotonia so that makes it harder for her. I also think she may be on the very high functioning end of the autism spectrum as her thirteen year old sister is a very low functioning non-verbal autistic. If she is then getting her to change her routine is going to be very difficult.

I just want her to see how good I look and feel when I finish losing this weight while I am still young enough. I will be forty in October and if I can stay on track I will be almost forty-one when I am done. I just decided that I wanted to try to avoid the health issues that come later in life when a person is overweight. I have been blessed that I have stayed very healthy in spite of my weight.
Well, good for you on the weight loss and on taking control of your life. You're very smart to be doing it now. It only gets harder as you get older. Sorry you have such challenging issues with your girls. Good luck with everything!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Congrats on your weightloss Floridamom, and kudos to you for setting a great example for your daughter!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Congrats on your weightloss Floridamom, and kudos to you for setting a great example for your daughter!
Thank you Marlow and yayoi.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,117 times
Quote:
Now my pants are starting to get really baggy.
Congrats! Keep us updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss