Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

One of the hardest parts of eating healthy for me is eating breakfast. I hate it. I don't like cereal that much, milk I only like when I'm in the mood, granola bars are OK, eggs, toast, etc is way too heavy for a time when I'm not hungry at all.

I don't usually get hungry until 11am, and if my day starts at 6am, that's a huge lag! I know I *should* eat breakfast, but how do I make myself do it?

If this helps, I don't eat after 7pm and am in bed by 11pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Completely change your eating habits. Make your "big" meal of the day breakfast, and eat light through the rest of the day (in snack type increments... don't even do the usual "lunch" and "dinner"). That way you can reverse what your body normally does as far as hunger goes.

Ian

Old 10-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Completely change your eating habits. Make your "big" meal of the day breakfast, and eat light through the rest of the day (in snack type increments... don't even do the usual "lunch" and "dinner"). That way you can reverse what your body normally does as far as hunger goes.

Ian
How would I get to the point where I WANT to eat at breakfast, though? I understand the concept, but when I wake up, the absolute last thing I want to do is put food in my mouth.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,950 times
Even though you are eating well before you go to bed, you are probably still eating too heavily. Eat light... and I mean light! Just ENOUGH to settle your stomach before bed. For me, I usually have A (as in 1) slice of lunch meat turkey, and a small glass of milk. I also have about 4 "snack" meals during the day, consisting of a piece of fruit, after a large, meat filled (along with breads, veggies, milk) breakfast. Also, DO NOT DRINK COFFEE when you first get up in the morning, as it acts as a filler (or any other drink for that matter). Thats it. Trust me, when you get up in the morning, you won't have to wait long to eat.

Ian

Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,755 times
I also hate breakfast. I am never hungry in the morning, and I usually wait a few hours before eating. If I do try to eat, it makes me feel bloated and extremely tired. So I usually just skip breakfast entirely.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM

I'm going to post a few days worth of my eating habits. Maybe you can help me figure out what I need to do differently...

Day 1:
(starting about 10am)
1 c oatmeal
1 T brown sugar
string cheese
yogurt

1 c brown rice
1 c curry (2 oz. chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions, in a low cal curry sauce I made)
1 c grapes
1 c raw cauliflower

whole wheat pita
1/2 c egg sub.
1 sl cheese
grilled onions
plain yogurt and salsa for dipping
1 t olive oil

Snacks:
sugar free pudding
apple
baby carrots

Day 2
(8am)
granola bar
yogurt

5 c spinach (I love big salads )
3 oz. chicken
4 T Litehouse toasted sesame ginger dressing

1/4 c falafel patty
2 T tzaziki
2 chicken drumsticks
BBQ sauce for dipping

Snacks:
jello
peach
baby carrots
Hansen's natural diet soda

Today, so far:
(10am)
small granola bar

1/2 c cottage cheese
2 sl. homemade whole wheat bread
3 oz. sliced roast beef
mustard
light miracle whip
baby carrots
apple

P.S. Mormon here, which means no coffee or alcohol. Never have, never will.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
One of the hardest parts of eating healthy for me is eating breakfast. I hate it. I don't like cereal that much, milk I only like when I'm in the mood, granola bars are OK, eggs, toast, etc is way too heavy for a time when I'm not hungry at all.

I don't usually get hungry until 11am, and if my day starts at 6am, that's a huge lag! I know I *should* eat breakfast, but how do I make myself do it?

Breakfast is considered one of the best meals of the day, health wise. It is also, for you, 12 hours after your dinner the night before, IF you were to eat breakfast at 7am. If you skip breakfast, then another 4 hours are added in to your 11 am.

Is your weight under control? I had a friend who lost alot of weight. His advice to me was to skip lunch, and just eat a small snack as you became hungry. A few small snacks over many hours is better for weight stability than 3 huge meals a day.

I don't like milk as a drink either, but I use it for cereal. There are about as many kinds of cereal as you would ever want, out there in the stores? None suit you?

You don't care for cereal, milk, eggs, toast.
Granola is ok.
You have left off ALOT of good breakfast items:
pancakes, waffles, bacon, grits, ham, sausage, oatmeal, FRUITS, juices, etc.
Any of those can replace the few you do not like, and to be blunt.....when you say:
"I know I *should* eat breakfast, but how do I make myself do it?"
......it may be called "will power".

Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post

Self-discipline. If you can't motivate yourself into eating breakfast, no one else can. It really is that simple.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Almost no fruit on that list. I don't eat much of a breakfast either and every body is different. What works for me is to start the day with a glass of warm water (my granddad got it from the stove cistern) and half an orange.
Then on to work. My work is NOT sedentary i.e. sitting at a desk, etc. The rest of the a.m. pretty much takes care of itself.
What you are aware of is that you're NOT wanting to eat in the a.m. Don't worry about it

Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Self-discipline. If you can't motivate yourself into eating breakfast, no one else can. It really is that simple.
It has nothing to do with discipline. I'm not hungry...so why would I force food down my throat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss