Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,360 times

Advertisements

Wow Foxy - that really is great! I was very lucky, I didn't have any obesity related health issues. But I was afraid of them - which is prompted me to have the surgery. I'm so glad to hear you can get rid of that awful machine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
oh me too, i felt like i was darth vader wearing it, and id never want to have to go anywhere and take the damned thing with with all the setting up and cleaning and crazyness...
it was a good machine, it did its job and i did sleep alot better when i needed it, but to have my doc say "discontinuance" oh such a relife...

ive gone from moderate apenea where i stoped breathing 50 times an hour, to extreemly mild apnea, now i only stop about 7 times per hour...anything under 12 times cpap is overkill...
doc seems to think that if i can get to 200lbs the apnea will be gone completly, were currently planning a sleep study for my 6 month post op mark at the end of march to see exactly where i stand then (at the current rate of loss i should be down below 225 at that point.

its also amazing to be able to get the surgery and "fix things" before they happen...
my dads diabetic and i was on the right path to become diabetic...but surgery stopped that in its tracks!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

ive gone from moderate apenea where i stoped breathing 50 times an hour, to extreemly mild apnea, now i only stop about 7 times per hour...anything under 12 times cpap is overkill...
Foxy, I am so glad you're off the CPAP, and I look forward to the day I'll be off it as well ... if that day ever comes (and it might not).

The number of times a person has "apneas" or stopped breathing events during sleep is described as your AHI. If you stopped breathing 50 times an hour that means your AHI is 50.

I have to disagree with you that an AHI of 50 is moderate. In fact that is considered SEVERE sleep apnea (or sleep apnoea to our British friends). Please check out Sleep Apnea Support Forum Index. The ratings go like this:

0 - 4 normal

5 - 14 mild

15 - 35 moderate

over 35 severe

In my case, it was so extremely and profoundly severe I was thinking about making out my will and buying a cemetery plot: 106!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
clark, if your apnea was weight induced dont worry youll be off your CPAP in no time, given your severity itll probably take closer to a year, but you will get there, i read on the bypass thread you had RNY, with the GB diabetese is pretty much cured imediatly and weight induced OSA is one of those thigns that goes pretty dang quickly as the weight dropps...

i did see though that your start weight is 213 and goal around 140-150, just be VERY carefull, alot of poeple who start out lower/have less to loose...esepcially men who tend to loose after rny on average twice as fast as women...you have to be carefull you dont loose too much weight, youll enter the maintennce phase much quicker. loosing too much weight can be just as bad for your body as being overweight.

good luck with your recovery, the hardest part is over but now at 3 1/2 weeks youll be going through the "why does my pouch like this one day but hate it the next" phase soon :P

Old 01-21-2011, 10:08 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Yes, my doctor did perform the leak tests - many times. He sent me for the tests immediately after my original surgery, then on the second day, and then again on the third day before my discharge. I was readmitted 3 days later, but the leak was not showing at that time. So they began treating me for pneumonia - I did have some fluid in my lungs, but my doctor had a suspicion of a leak the whole time - so he kept ordering the leak test. I was having terrible pain in my left shoulder - which we know now was related to the leak. The leak finally showed up on the 4th day. By that time I was septic and that is when I was rushed for emergency surgery and then I almost died.

I was originally scheduled for the RNY, but when my insurance company began approving the sleeve I was thrilled. As I stated earlier, the complications don't happen as often, but they are deadly when they do happen. And that is scary. I don't now that having this information would have stopped me from having the surgery, but I believe I would have at the very least thought about it harder, and discussed it more with my family. It just seemed so easy......cut off the extra stomach....simple. No moving intestines - no vitamins and deficiencies for the rest of my life....much much less risk of complications later etc.

I wish you the best of luck and healthfulness!

I know my response is uber late but morbid obesity has its risks as well. I have a family history of obesity. You could look at photos of women on my moms side of the family and the women are BIG. Neither my mother or I are binge eaters. I have never eaten a gallon of ice cream or more than 2 slices of pizza. I gain weight very easily if I do not stay on top of my weight, work out, reduce portions and eat right. For me the surgery will force me to eat better. I refuse to do another hardcore diet and exercise without the aid of something that will provide lasting results. (I'm no expert but I've read a gang of books on nutrition, worked for Jenny Craig, been on LA Weight Loss, WW, Adipex, used to work out 2hrs a day and eat less than 1000 calories a day).

My mom died 9/6/09 from complications of diabetes. She struggled with the disease for 20 years and had many near death incidents. Toward the end I knew she was getting tired of the struggle. I don't want that fate for myself. Right now my sister has diabetes and she is packing on the pounds-but she is resistant to "fixing" her problem.

I feel blessed to even have the opportunity to turn my life around. My knees hurt, my right hip hurts, I feel sluggish, I have gerd, gallstones and possibly sleep apnea (hubby says I snore). BUT I am not suffering like others and I'm working to prevent "sugar" from ruining my life.

Congratulations on joining the losers bench and maximize those 6 months of quick weight loss. Things will slow down as you get further out.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
I know my response is uber late but morbid obesity has its risks as well. I have a family history of obesity. You could look at photos of women on my moms side of the family and the women are BIG. Neither my mother or I are binge eaters. I have never eaten a gallon of ice cream or more than 2 slices of pizza. I gain weight very easily if I do not stay on top of my weight, work out, reduce portions and eat right. For me the surgery will force me to eat better. I refuse to do another hardcore diet and exercise without the aid of something that will provide lasting results. (I'm no expert but I've read a gang of books on nutrition, worked for Jenny Craig, been on LA Weight Loss, WW, Adipex, used to work out 2hrs a day and eat less than 1000 calories a day).

My mom died 9/6/09 from complications of diabetes. She struggled with the disease for 20 years and had many near death incidents. Toward the end I knew she was getting tired of the struggle. I don't want that fate for myself. Right now my sister has diabetes and she is packing on the pounds-but she is resistant to "fixing" her problem.

I feel blessed to even have the opportunity to turn my life around. My knees hurt, my right hip hurts, I feel sluggish, I have gerd, gallstones and possibly sleep apnea (hubby says I snore). BUT I am not suffering like others and I'm working to prevent "sugar" from ruining my life.

Congratulations on joining the losers bench and maximize those 6 months of quick weight loss. Things will slow down as you get further out.
Thanks for sharing. I completely understand and agree with your points here. WLS is many times a necessary evil. I was afraid of obesity related health issues - and that is why I had the surgery. I don't know which of the surgeries is best...maybe the sleeve still because the complication rate is lower than the RNY and LapBand - I don't know - I'm certainly no expert.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. That must have been awful for her, and your family. And I hope your sister soon will pay attention to her issues.

I can't quite make out whether you have had the surgery or not, but I wish you the best of luck. It certainly sounds like your commited to working hard to fix your problems. I can only imagine how difficult it must be since you seem to gain so easily. I gained easily - but I also lost easily- keeping it off was always my problem. There's no turning back for me now....I didn't go through all I did to not pay attention to the "tool" which I have been given to learn once again how to eat and maintain. I won't allow myself to go back. I'm trying to be very concious of my body and appetite now - and paying close attention to what it really feels like to have had enough.

Again - best wishes and good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,085 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your story. I am currently in the process of completing my requirements to get sleeved and your story is proof that there are risks involved with the surgery. Can you share if your doctor did the leak tests after your procedure?. My PCP was trying to lead me towards the RNY but I know that the long-term rate of complications with that procedure are very high and almost 100% of GP patients end up with a serious vitamin deficiency. I've already been on iron in the past for anemia so I ruled that surgery out completely.

I know WLS is not for everyone but I do wish you luck and wellness.
After losing 215 pounds from RNY I had NO vitamin deficiencies at all. In fact, right before I had the skin removal surgery ALL my labs (vitamins and blood) were in the mid to upper range which was excellent. I took/take all my supplements every day when I'm supposed to. I had anemia in the past, but had endometrial ablation in December 2008 and that cured the anemia. Also, eating red meat helped. I'm glad I didn't rule out that life saving surgery on the basis of vitamin deficiencies.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I completely understand and agree with your points here. WLS is many times a necessary evil. I was afraid of obesity related health issues - and that is why I had the surgery. I don't know which of the surgeries is best...maybe the sleeve still because the complication rate is lower than the RNY and LapBand - I don't know - I'm certainly no expert.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. That must have been awful for her, and your family. And I hope your sister soon will pay attention to her issues.

I can't quite make out whether you have had the surgery or not, but I wish you the best of luck. It certainly sounds like your commited to working hard to fix your problems. I can only imagine how difficult it must be since you seem to gain so easily. I gained easily - but I also lost easily- keeping it off was always my problem. There's no turning back for me now....I didn't go through all I did to not pay attention to the "tool" which I have been given to learn once again how to eat and maintain. I won't allow myself to go back. I'm trying to be very concious of my body and appetite now - and paying close attention to what it really feels like to have had enough.

I'm looking at getting surgery around June of this year. Right now I am going through all the tesing that is required.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I'm looking at getting surgery around June of this year. Right now I am going through all the tesing that is required.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Good luck and make sure you do all the research. Ask lots of questions....make a list. What happens if.....etc. Ask every little thing you can think of. A good surgeon, operating team, and hospital are critical...so do your research.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss