Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times

Advertisements

I want to thank you for posting this. I'm going to send a link to this thread for my husband.

He is in the beginning stages of considering weight-loss surgery now. I have concerns, both as you noted in your posts, and also of the long-term consequences of the surgery. I am finding that the majority of the patients at the informational sessions and support meetings I have so far attended have no insight into the long-term ramifications of the surgery, but rather are simply desperate to get going with shedding the weight (and I can't say I blame them for that).

By long-term ramifications, I am meaning two things: Regain of weight after the initial period of easy loss, and transferring of their food addiction to something else. I have personally seen both of these complications from the surgery and would like to know what is being done early in the process to address them. As of yet, I haven't gotten a good answer about this. It appears that the psychological evaluation needed pre-surgery is merely a formality to gain insurance approval, and it doesn't seem to delve into how those with a food addiction will function after the procedure. I am also concerned about the phenomenon of addiction transfer, as I personally know of two people who have become full-blown alcoholics after gastric bypass when they were not heavy drinkers pre-procedure.

It is very nice to "meet" all of you and read about your weight loss and surgeries. Good luck to all of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I want to thank you for posting this. I'm going to send a link to this thread for my husband.

He is in the beginning stages of considering weight-loss surgery now. I have concerns, both as you noted in your posts, and also of the long-term consequences of the surgery. I am finding that the majority of the patients at the informational sessions and support meetings I have so far attended have no insight into the long-term ramifications of the surgery, but rather are simply desperate to get going with shedding the weight (and I can't say I blame them for that).

By long-term ramifications, I am meaning two things: Regain of weight after the initial period of easy loss, and transferring of their food addiction to something else. I have personally seen both of these complications from the surgery and would like to know what is being done early in the process to address them. As of yet, I haven't gotten a good answer about this. It appears that the psychological evaluation needed pre-surgery is merely a formality to gain insurance approval, and it doesn't seem to delve into how those with a food addiction will function after the procedure. I am also concerned about the phenomenon of addiction transfer, as I personally know of two people who have become full-blown alcoholics after gastric bypass when they were not heavy drinkers pre-procedure.

It is very nice to "meet" all of you and read about your weight loss and surgeries. Good luck to all of you
Please check out Obesity Help dot com and vertical sleeve talk dot com. Both of these sites have information on all surgery types. There are forums where people share maintenance tips and talk about any issues they have had. With the sleeve you can search for information on gastrectomies since these operations have been done in the past for patients with ulcers and stomach cancer (my grandmother had one back in the 80's). This was before the operation was used to help with weight loss.

There is a doctor out in California that will be releasing long term study results on the sleeve, as he has been doing them close to 5-10 years and he tracked the patients. From what I have heard the results are supposed to be good as far as keeping the weight off. The study should be out this summer.

I personally know that shopping is going to be an issue for me. At one time I was a normal size and I LOVED shopping. Now I hate it because all the plus sized clothing depress me. I think counseling is really the only choice and delving into what lead to the obesity in the first place. For some it is emotional issues, for others it eating when bored, or being lazy--whatever it is-those head issues are not cured by surgery alone. People learn how to cheat the surgery with time and start eating junk and carbs and gain all the weight back.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I agree that some people have a natural problem. That it runs i family doen't mean its inherited thru blood lne tho often by habit. If we look at past times like in 50's its obvious that eating habits themselves has changed. That is why eatighabits need to change because often by the time thsi would be done much damage is already done.It doesn't help that exercise naturally by work is much less today either.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post

You've asked a very good question. I think there are some very common reasons why people have weight issues. Mine started when I got pregnant with my daughter 18 years ago. I know there were times when I did go through bouts of "emotional eating" but that was not really my problem. I just love to eat! If emotional eating is the main problem, then its probably best to address that. You're correct...the psycholigical evaluation is just a formality - so long term help might need to be considered.

I have found it very helpful to see a nutritionist. She has really helped me with learning to make better choices, and what the better choices are. I LOVE to eat. I LOVE food. The last thing I want it to deprive myself of all my favorites (like carbs) and then give up and start overeating again. Changing my eating habits has been crucial. I have worked really hard to pay attention the "I've had enough" feeling in my stomach and to work at making my favorites higher in protein so that I'm not feeling deprived. And honestly - if I have the mashed potatoes - a couple of bites satifies me - I'd rather have more of the chicken now. And I feel so much better!

Good luck! Make sure he does all the research about the doctor and the hospital. Ask about complication rates - and all the "what if's" you can think of.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 PM

0 posts, read 5,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Thank you both for commenting. And congratulations to you both as well on successful surgeries, and of course, best wishes on your road to healthy living. So far I have lost almost 100 lbs. Its more slow going for me than most, because of my complications. I was on TPN for a very long time which is very high in sugar and calories. Then, once I started eating again, I was sticking to things like soup, toast, and crackers. My biggest weight loss has been just since about the beginning of October, or maybe the middle of September.

I don't know if any one surgery is better than the other, they all work if you have the long term commitment. Its all a matter of personal preference, what you want to gain (or lose, hehe) out of it, etc. For me, not having the malabsorption issues, and the necessity taking of vitamins etc for the rest of my life was a big factor in my decision. Others may not like that with the sleeve you can take in a little more food than with the bypass. I considered the lapband since it can be removed and is much less invasive, and discussed it with my surgeon, but because I needed to lose more than 100 lbs. we decided it was not my best option. Lapband has some pretty severe complications of its own, and the people I have spoken to seem to have a harder adjustment period. So they all have their ups and downs.
I am curious to how soon after surgery did the leak present itself. I know u praise the physicians that tx you but did they do all the post surgery checks to make sure that a leak was not forming the ....fluoroscope exam etc.

I too think that vertical sleeve is the best approach and am leaning toward that surgery alternative. I can see why initially it is the riskiest surgical procedure - since from a shear mass or surface area point of view - more tissue is being damaged in removing 2/3 of your stomach - which obviously requires for a large internal suture line which would NOT be the case with the other two approaches - but if you can weather the trauma of the surgery - i got to believe sleeve is by far the better approach - since he does not disturb your body's ability to absorb nutrients - jsut the volume that your stomach can hold qty wise.

I am glad that you are recovering from your surgery ... bowel leaks are tricky and certainly can be fatal - and are a risk with a large number of bowel related surgery's NOT just Obesity surgery - resections, gall bladder, diverticuli, and on and on .... so NEVER think of any surgery related to the GI tract as Routine!!

take care and good luck on your continued path to healthy living ...

scott

Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Thanks for the stories shared here. I am sorry to hear of those who have sufferred.

I soooo want the gastric sleeve surgery... i had been researching it online for like 2 years or so - before they were even doing it around here. My family doc does not want me to have it, so i'm still trying other ways of losing weight.

I know 3 people who were pretty successful with the Roux-en-Y surgery (gastric bypass) - altho one needed surgery for a hernia months later and was VERY sick, and one has gained a bit of weight back.

I know someone who had the lap-band and gained ALL her weight back. And i know two people who died from the gastric bypass surgery. One is recent - and is one of my closest friend's husband. He was doing great a month into it, and developed a blood clot and died in his sleep So many dangers in all of it.

Another friend just found out she has a hernia, (had the gastric bypass) but she has done great with the weightloss - and looks and feels wonderful.

Good luck to all who are going to go thru this... I wish you the best.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My surgeon (had RNY one year ago) says that about 20% of any WLS patients will gain it back. He has 12 months of 3x month support groups built into his fee. He also says people who go to support groups lose more than those who don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-16-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Oh and I just had my labs done, all 7 tubes of blood, and I have no issues. I take one gastric bypass optimized vitamin per day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-16-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 04:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
only 7 vials? You're lucky, mine keeps taking 9 for some reason. Sad part is I'm actually starting to get used to it.
As far as the surgeries, I would only recommend the RNY. Where I had mine done (Wilford Hall on Lackland AFB) is a bariatric center of excellence and they call the RNY the gold standard for weight loss. There is a lot of history behind it and I think that helps a lot. Mine exceeded all expectations and continues to do so, even to the point of I'm starting to wonder when it's ever going to stop. That's a good problem as far as I'm concerned, though. So far I've lost nearly 135 pounds and I'm well within the normal range for a person of my height (6'2" and 177 pounds) and I feel great. A lot of people are encouraging me to start eating bad for a while in an attempt to stop the weight loss, but that is not the recommendation and I'm not going to go back to those old habits ever again. Food is now a necessary evil and I get no pleasure out of it at all. Sometimes it tastes good for a few seconds, but that quickly goes away and eating once again becomes a chore instead of a joy. Probably sounds strange that a person would like that, but as a reformed food addict, I think it's the best feeling there is. I'm back in control and the food is just there to keep my body functioning.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 AM

0 posts, read 5,885 times
If you get a chance look at the website sponsored by Dennis Smith, MD in Marietta, GA. Dr Smith explains in details the different type of surgical approaches available and the inherent risks with each type as well as the benefit. I have made the decision to choose the Gastric sleeve approach and have scheduled a visit with Dr Smith. His office staff is impressive and very helpful and I hope and pray that I continue to sing their praises after having this surgery. Take care, AT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss