Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:47 AM

49 posts, read 71,667 times

Advertisements

1. Every diet soft drink consumed each day could increase your risk of being overweight by 65 percent, according to a study presented at the American Dietetic Association. Other research suggests that artificial sweeteners may actually stimulate appetite, causing you to overeat.

2. A recent Japanese study found that people who drank a daily 11-ounce bottle of green tea lost 5.3 pounds after three months, while those who drank regular tea lost only 2.9 pounds.

3. Eating three servings of grapefruit a day (either half of a whole one or a cup of juice) for 12 weeks could help you lose just over three pounds, according to a recent study. "It helped lower insulin levels, which can contribute to weight loss by reducing appetite and encouraging fat burning," explains study author Ken Fujioka, MD, director of nutrition and metabolic research at Scripps Clinic in Del Mar, California.

4. Brush your teeth or rinse your mouth right after you have a meal or a snack to quell the urge to keep nibbling. "It's both a physical and a psychological signal to your body that you're done eating," says Blatner.

5. Distract Your Taste Buds
Visions of Godiva flooding your head? Before you rush out to buy a box, try deflecting your attention. New research from Flinders University in Adelaide, Australia, has found that the more vivid your mental image of a particular food, the more likely you are to crave it. But there's plenty you can do to tone down those visual cues. Researchers found that randomly flicking through images on a computer screen or, to a lesser extent, listening to a speech in a foreign language, was enough to distract students from their food cravings. Anything that engages both your eyes and your mind -- like playing Sudoku -- should help, say researchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM

130 posts, read 336,193 times
Well, I have drank sugar free drinks forever and have never been overweight. I think it depends on the person. Usually, diet coke decreases my appetite because its fizzy and makes me feel fuller. It may also be the effect of the caffeine kicking in.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,884 times
Chewing sugar free gum also helps

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
I do find that drinking hot tea keeps away the "hungries."

I also find it is helpful if I plan my menu in advance, and then stop thinking about food until it is time to eat. I eat what I've planned, and then go back to not thinking about food until the next meal time.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,258,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I do find that drinking hot tea keeps away the "hungries."

I also find it is helpful if I plan my menu in advance, and then stop thinking about food until it is time to eat. I eat what I've planned, and then go back to not thinking about food until the next meal time.
This is what I do...plan my meals out in advance...I try to plan a few days in advance so there is no question about what I will be having!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss