Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,971 times

Advertisements

HELP!!!! I am trying to loose about 30lbs. I have tried almost all diets know to man!lol.. I did slim-fast, lost a little but always felt hungry. Tried doing low calories, tried the high protein no carb (lost some but ran out of food ideas to have), tried Weight Watchers. I also tried diet pills but just got a shaky feeling or switched to the next new one on the market. I am fairly active..have two boys (toddlers who I chase around) but try to go to the gym at least 3x week for hour of cardio. STILL nothing!!!!! I am very frustrated and dont know what to do.. Please any advice or tips.. Seems like I am trying but nothing is happening (maybe a pound or two in a MONTH!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:36 PM

83 posts, read 147,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchristy29 View Post
HELP!!!! I am trying to loose about 30lbs. I have tried almost all diets know to man!lol.. I did slim-fast, lost a little but always felt hungry. Tried doing low calories, tried the high protein no carb (lost some but ran out of food ideas to have), tried Weight Watchers. I also tried diet pills but just got a shaky feeling or switched to the next new one on the market. I am fairly active..have two boys (toddlers who I chase around) but try to go to the gym at least 3x week for hour of cardio. STILL nothing!!!!! I am very frustrated and dont know what to do.. Please any advice or tips.. Seems like I am trying but nothing is happening (maybe a pound or two in a MONTH!!!!)
It's not sustainable to go on a diet. My 0.02 cents - It's all about changing eating habits - And then working out supplements it for better health/toning up. You may have heard this before.

Try eating five or six small meals a day. With two kids to chase around, that is probably a challenge - But possible. Many people who fit good eating habits and very busy lives into their schedules tend to prepare meals in big portions on one or two given days of the week (maybe while the kids are napping) - Then freeze it. Examples would be grilled chicken breasts, baked fish, brown rice, black eyed peas etc. During the week, all you have to do is nuke a small portion when you are hungry.

For snacks - Obviously, the good choices are nuts, fruit, yogurt...Many healthy snack options do not require cooking, so saves you even more time. Always carry a healthy snack or two in your purse when you are out.

Eat lots of fiber - Oatmeal, broccoli, apples etc

Eating small throughout the day keeps you from experiencing that gnawing hunger/gotta-eat-anything-available-feeling. It works.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
VSAngel is right. There are two meanings for the word "diet". First, a temporary, special way to eat, as in "I am on a diet". Second, there is diet in the sense of what you normally eat - example: "The typical American diet in the 1950's featured meat three times a day". I think the key is to change your diet in my second sense above. Think of it as changing the way you are going to eat for the rest of your life. Nothing special or temporary about it. Minimize fats - cheeses, meats, potato chips, fries, mayonaise, etc. and use only fat-free dairy. Maximize fruits and vegetables. Minimize white bread, potatoes, white rice, sugar, etc. Maximize whole grains (brown rice, etc.). It's for life! Don't be in a hurry.

By the way, I didn't just make up the above ideas - I am no diet guru. Those ideas are a distillation of what mainstream nurtitional science has been saying for some years now. Ditch the kooky fringe ideas.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
The only way I can lose weight is to write everything down that I eat and track my calories. It is way too easy for me to snack on food while I am cooking and preparing food for my hubby. It's just a thought but maybe you are snacking without realizing it.

If you have been diligent about what foods you are eating and doing exercise then maybe it is another problem. Have you had your thyroid checked or talked to your Doctor?

Good luck. Losing weight can be very frustrating and it takes time to do it healthy.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
you must be one of those rare people who are immune to losing weight. may as well pig out!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Default Holding the line is better than gaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you must be one of those rare people who are immune to losing weight. may as well pig out!
What baloney! By pigging out the OP would probably gain weight. Holding the line beats the hell out of gaining, even if one is frustrated about not losing.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Hold on, why didn't Weight Watchers work for you? Be honest. Did you follow it properly?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Eating right is the only way you are going to lose weight and keep it off. There are no "quick fixes", you have to make the commitment to follow a healthy eating pattern.

The reason you are hungry is because you have not satisfied your body's nutritional needs. This is why obesity is becoming a huge problem. If you do not give the body what it NEEDS, it will continue to feel hungry until you do. People who eat a lot of processed foods with "empty calories" are hungry all the time and they eat a great deal and get fat. If you give your body lots of fresh, unprocessed (preferably raw) vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds; as well as lots of whole grains (as minimally processed as possible), your body has a better chance of getting what it needs.

Many vegetarians have a lot of trouble keeping weight ON (if they do not eat vegetarian junk food). There is a school of thought out there that says people should eat fat (google "Weston Price Foundation" for more info) but I am not sure about that. I think that the fats you get from oils is sufficient.

The main way to lose weight is to burn up more calories than you take in. That is physics. You cannot defy the law of physics. But to lose weight in a healthy way, you have to change not only how many calories you eat, but also what kind of foods you are getting those calories from. Whole food is the key. Slimfast is poison, IMHO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
...try to go to the gym at least 3x week for hour of cardio. STILL nothing!!!!! I am very frustrated and dont know what to do..Please any advice or tips..
I suggest doing some research on "Interval training" and why it is better for weight loss than steady state cardio.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,739 times
Replace beverages with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss