Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,875,370 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I did search the forum before posting this question, although I am a newbie to this on-line chat thing. I searched the web for forums about diets specifically but I can't differentiate between those fake forums sponsored by products they are trying to push and real ones. My husband and I just started trying to eat only protein and grains this week but I really don't know what is an effective and healthy way to do this. We are trying NOT to do the Nutrisystem thing because it is so darned expensive but I'm worried about his health and I would like to get back to my HS weight, which means losing 25lbs. I used to take ephedra, when it was legal, and I could always drop weight rapidly. Now that ephedra is no longer available, I need to find a plan that works. Please don't just tell me to eat less and exercise....I've tried that and our metabolism seems "stuck". We are starting to exercise more but I need also need a plan to stick to. I'll appreciate any good advice you can provide. He carries his weight around his stomach and I carry mine in my legs and butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:56 PM

73 posts, read 236,387 times
Yea there is a pretty simple equation for that, it goes something like this....EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOU BURN, simple as that. There is no magic diet that is going to make you lose weight. Americans want a quick fix and dieting is one place where you cant get that. Do you eat packaged and processed food? If so, stop. Eat fruits and veggies which are not very calorie dense pound for pound. You have to incorporate your new "diet" into your life and like what you are doing. If not, you resort back to your old habits and be back at your previous weight in no time. If you are serious about this you should schedule some visits with a certified nutrionist. Good luck -Ben

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,407 times
No diet works for everybody since we all have different metabolisms. But one thing that can really cut your weight is simply following WW recipes. You would be surprised at how delicious and healthy they are. And one other sure fire way to help you lose is to eat from a smaller size plate, makes it look like you are having more food. Eating 6 very small meals a day has kept me at 110 since age 20 and I'm 5"4".

Old 08-05-2008, 06:51 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,329,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs3488 View Post
Yea there is a pretty simple equation for that, it goes something like this....EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOU BURN, simple as that. There is no magic diet that is going to make you lose weight. Americans want a quick fix and dieting is one place where you cant get that. Do you eat packaged and processed food? If so, stop. Eat fruits and veggies which are not very calorie dense pound for pound. You have to incorporate your new "diet" into your life and like what you are doing. If not, you resort back to your old habits and be back at your previous weight in no time. If you are serious about this you should schedule some visits with a certified nutrionist. Good luck -Ben
Here is your answer. Diets don't work, you have to change lifestyle. I'm going through the samething. Just decided to eat healthier and exercise 4 times a week.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Hi bs -
THe problem is that I have no idea how to count calories other than when I eat packaged food and I have no idea how to measure how many calories I'm burning. Yes, part of this quasi-diet we are trying means that we are not eating pkgd foods at all. I make "sweet" tea with Splenda and I'm using NO sugar in anything at all. No white bread, rice or potatoes at all. The hardest part for me, and it has only been 3 days, is staying away from potatoes. I had brussel spouts (boiled) and baked fish for dinner....ugh. My hubby had baked fish and broccoli but he was fine with it. Good idea about the nutrionist.....I think I'll see who I can find in Greenwood. I can pay him/her to help me with a shopping list and menus to rotate...... I never thought of that approach.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,329,214 times
Keep eating right and exercise. Thats what I'm doing.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Hi Zoran.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yeah, the 6 meals a day thing won't really work for me because I have enough trouble trying to plan for THREE. Right now we started with just bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna and whole wheat crackers for lunch and fish with either broccoli or brussel sprouts for dinner. I don't know how long we can keep this up so that's why I'm reaching out for help. I'll try to find Weight Watchers recipes on-line without joining....hopefully someone posted some. I'm also going to try to find a nutritionist like BS suggested to help me with some menus....... and good for you at 110! I guess I was in the 9th grade the last time I weighed in at 110. I only have 25 lbs to go but my husband has quite a few more so I'll stick to it as long as I can get him to. Thx again.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Thx for the encouragement, Moton!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM

207 posts, read 1,004,028 times
There is new research that shows that writing down your foods and calories helps significantly when it comes to losing weight. Dieting is psychological (so is eating!) so having to write down that "Ice cream- 500 calories" makes you think twice before eating it.

Check out the Lean Cuisine meals...there is such a variety, so you're not just eating tuna and crackers (check out the calories on the crackers, just because they are whole wheat doesn't mean they are the best thing for you.) I eat the panini and flat bread sandwiches everyday for lunch. Some of the meals are less than 200 calories and are still enough to fill you up.

For dinners...grilled chicken is great too. There are some good frozen veggies that steam in the bag...good flavor and little calories.) If you do salad, dip the lettuce in a light dressing...never pour dressing over the salad.

Previous posts are right...there are no inexpensive diet tricks out there. If it were that easy, we wouldn't have the issues of obesity that we have.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Thanks AH.
I'll look into the Lean Cuisine dinners but this is where I begin to get confused....I was told the packaged foods were full of sodium and things that would trigger insulin resistance and make it harder to lose weight..... I did find the steamer bags and I used them tonight for the broccoli. These are WONDERFUL!!!! I'll do chicken tomorrow night because I'm already fed up with fish. Also, I like the idea of writing down what we eat. I think this will be a useful tool for the nutritionist (recommendation from another helpful poster) to use in assessing our diet.

Good suggstions...thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss