Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times

Advertisements

You know, in the last week since I've started cooking differently I've noticed my rings are loose. It can't be "weight" becasue I"ve only lost 2lbs so I think it was water retention too! You make a good point there.

I've purposely held off buying new clothes in the larger size because I want to be back in a size 6 by September and treat myself to a new Fall wardrobe...that is my extra incentive.
I have to buy a new scale because my seems a little weird...I weigh 3 times and get 3 diffrt numbers. I"m going to start writing my weight right on the calendar in my kithcen every day to keep me AWARE of my progress.
I've been doing the NATURAL bacon and eggs for breakfat most morning for my hubby but I couldn't take it this morning. I broke down and had Quaker's HEALTHY oatmeal and it didn't taste like it had sugar in it but it had apple flavoring so it must have had some. It is the special kind made for heart health so I was hoping it would be better than the cereals I have on hand...Granola and something with corn in it.
I did go swimming today (I'm at the beach this weekend) and I walked the dogs twice so I'm making it a daily priority but weekends (off work) are easier.
I do have to say I miss the jump start of Ephedra....it did work for me but obviously only as long as I continued to take it. You are right....I have to take the time and have the patience to do this thing the right way.

Oh, postscript...I was craving something at lunch, which I did try to skip, so I broke down and had the All natural peanut butter on one slice of wheat break....YUCK. This is going to take some getting used to Still at it and grateful for your help!!!! I gave you good rep for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Excellent advice. Thank you.
My husband is sticking to this strictly and I am sooo grateful.
I'm still fighting the battle of no diet soda with him, though. I do believe it is poison.
One thing I had been doing before is getting a regular coke and mixing 1/2 glass with 1/2 glass of sparkling water (plain). The taste is great with 1/2 the calories. I have been off of sodas all week, myself, but every now and then I will probably have to splurge on my fav coke but i'll mix 1/2 and 1/2 when I do...never diet.
Splenda tea is my mainstay now but I"m making myself drink more water every day. I surely do hit the ladies room more these days but I just imagine that is FAT being washed out of my body
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Oh wonderful!
25lbs since May, huh? You go girl!
Gosh, losing 25lbs before the end of the year would be my dream come true but being HEALTHY and having my husband safe and at a healthy weight is my highest priority.

Thank you and I'm reading everything everyone has been kind enough to recommend to me over the last week so that I can make the best decisions. My husband and I did go out to eat tonight at the beach but we ONLY had boiled shrimp, crab legs and I had raw oysters and a salad (real light on ranch dressing) to celebrate a week of sticking with this. We had unsweetened tea and NO dessert, which was hard for me but we did it! We proved that we could go out and make smart choices. Immediately we came back and walked the dogs on the beach and there was not even a glass of wine tonight. ONe thing I have already noticed is that I'm not exhausted by 9:00 p.m. each and every night like I usually am. I think it must have had something to do with the amount of sugar/carbs I was consuming. I was ingesting HUGE amounts of carbs......I just hope that I haven't done any permanent damage to my pancreas from all of the bread, potatoes and sweets I have been gorging on for years. I hope that I can turn this thing around by diet and exercise alone.......

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM

Jimboburnsy and group....
This has been very helpful advice this week......I needed something simple to help me decide if something was acceptable "good" as we started this process so most everything has been meat/seafood (hunt and catch part), whole grain rice, brocolli, brussel sprounts, salad and tea. I'll expand the menu options this week but this was really helpful to me as I tried to keep everything simple this first week. Thank you!!!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
There are a zillion dufferent kinds of diets for someone who wants to lose weight. Not every diet works for every metabolism. Age, level of obesity, determination, the ability to stick to a diet big part too. It will take someone who is grossly obese a longer time to lose weight than soemone who only needs to lose twenty pounds.

Most of the tv diets are good PR designed to separate you from your wallet.

NO ONE SHOULD START ANY LONG TERM DIET (MORE THAN 5 DAYS) UNTIL THEY HAVE CONSULTED WITH A DOCTOR FIRST. Age, physical condition, medcines, ability to exercise, etc.. should be discussed. Dieting ubdurectkt affects the liver, kidney, heart, lungs and who knows what else.

Anyone who wants to lose weight can do it in their own kitchen, using their own family recipes. All you need is a few instructions and a little determination to win. You don't count calories or worry about bread and butter. But there are caveats and one of them is getting tired of cooking the same food the same way. After a while the head screams for junk food or to go out to eat. You can do all these things but only after you have established a new eating regimin. How long that takes depends upon the person who wants to lose the weight. It would not hurt to take a Stress Tab vitamin while on any diet.

Eating healthy is not being rewarded, or being weighed every week, or being scolded by stranngers, or weight loss groups, or having pre-packaged meals delivered to your door free, it's about saving a life. Your reward is to look in the mirror.

The first five pounds comes off like magic. How fast the rest of the weight comes off is directly related to how much food you eat and how much you exercise. As long as you overeat and do not exercise, you cannot lose weight.

If I did not mention it, corn and iceberg lettuce are fillers, empty calories.. Tbey offer no nourishment to dogs, cats or people.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
I've thought about having my jaw wired shut. LOL

Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 55,260 times
Default How to count calories

I cannot remember the name of the site but I'm sure it is easy to find - on it, you could choose all different kinds of food and the portion size and it would tell you how many calories there were in that portion size. You could even put in the number of calories that you wanted to keep within in a day and you could choose from breskfast, lunch, dinner, and snack foods (all were whole foods - not packaged foods or sugary) and so you had a menu plan. Everytime you would put in another food on your menu, it would tell you how many calories you had left to keep within your range. That way you could plan what you could still eat! It was awesome. Just put in some key words like calorie counter or menu planner + calorie counter or whatever and I'm sure that there are many websites that do the same thing! That way you know how many calories are in something like a banana or potato or steak - even though they do not come in a package that tells you how many calories they have. I'm sure you can do the same things with fat, fiber, etc on other sites! Good luck! Oh, yah - I find that when you wanna exercise, find something you actually enjoy... ask yourself, "what do I ENJOY doing?" Don't think just in terms of exercise equpiment at the GYM. Well, I hadn't rode a bike since I was a kid and just bought one. I LOVE IT! Screw the monotonous treadmill at the gym! Makes me want to shoot myself! I also found that I like yoga - doesn't look hard but WHOA! The stetching feels SO GOOD! I like raquetball, too. Don't do exercise that you HATE or you will dread doing it and get angry that you have to do something you hate and you'll stop. Maybe later when you have built up better resistance and you are feeling better about your body you can add more exercises that will really whip you into shape - but nothing too drastic when you get started. If you end up hating it that'll be it...and don't overdue it on the grains... our bodies weren't meant to process the CONSTANT intake of grains that we do when we buy packaged things from the local Walmart. For thousands of years man didn't eat bread and pasta...lol. They ate only foods that were available to them naturally- protein, veggies, fruit, nuts...that's where it's at. Don't forget Omega 3 fats - Very underated in this country and absolutely neccesary. You will be shocked at how many are actually malnurished and what good nutrition will do for your mind - not just body. I wish you well! I know how hard it is! I wish we were all skinny and healthy and we could eat whatever the hell we wanted!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Splenda

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade and I wouldn't unless the "poison" comment about diet soda was made versus the splenda tea - my mom had a good friend whose son works in a plant where they make splenda and said that he you couldn't pay him to put splenda in his body because he sees what goes into it. LOL! Yah, they may say it's made from sugar - what does that really have to do with what else is actually in it? There are natural sweetners (not everything natural is good for you but......) sold at most major health food/whole food stores that are really good. I promise you will get used to the difference in taste the same as I now hate regular sugar in tea as I was used to drinking it with aspertame for years. I also hear that it takes at least 3 monthst to totally adjust and feel the true benefits from any healthy eating plan and stop craving the "bad" things. That is SO LONG!!! Most (including me many times) LOOOONG before them. But if your life changes because you feel so good then it's so much easier to stick with it! Just gotta get thru that first leg of the journey!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Default no flour sugar etc...

I gotta say that a few years ago I was doing the Atkind diet and contrary to what people think, I was not eating a lb of bacon a day. I ate mostly chicken and fish and the occasional steak- tons of veggies, lots of walnuts, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds, homeade "bread" or "crackers" made from flax, and omlets for breakfast and I felt absolutely great. I lost 50 lbs, my skin was glowing and never broke out, my hair was healthy and strong, and my energy was thru the roof. That is a testement to what cutting out grains and other sugars can do for you. The only downside was that I didn't eat fruit. I'm not a big fan so I didn't care - but some is healthy for you and give you important nutrients.

Sorry about all my posts - I am very interested in changing my life healthwise lately...

Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,398 times
Default diet

It sounds to me that you would like South Beach, its almost the same as Atkins but you can have more fruit and veggies on it, it works about as good as Atkins. I prefer Atkins but thats just me, I do eat on occasions on Atkins Catlalope, Poached Pear, berries and there is a low carb cheesecake I make with sugar free cherry pie filling. I am going back on Atkins tomorrow(not tonight as I'm going to Caraba's for dinner)and I know I would cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss