Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times

Advertisements

Thanks Lola. LAst week I didn't because I was walking and swimming. Today I am starting back with the stairmaster and weight machines (lat pulls, chest presses and leg presses). Size 5's for you, huh? GREAT! I'd like to get back into my 4s. Right now I'm stretching my 8s and wearing some 10s. I'll see how I do on the diet and then when I have my check up I'll ask for a thyroid test. I had thought about that because my mom said that "goiters" run in our family. That has something to do with thyroid function but my mom was all of 92 lbs all of her life. Thanks for the advice and motivation to catch up with YOU and your size 5s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Thanks Lola. LAst week I didn't because I was walking and swimming. Today I am starting back with the stairmaster and weight machines (lat pulls, chest presses and leg presses). Size 5's for you, huh? GREAT! I'd like to get back into my 4s. Right now I'm stretching my 8s and wearing some 10s. I'll see how I do on the diet and then when I have my check up I'll ask for a thyroid test. I had thought about that because my mom said that "goiters" run in our family. That has something to do with thyroid function but my mom was all of 92 lbs all of her life. Thanks for the advice and motivation to catch up with YOU and your size 5s
You go girl......yea my size 5's.....although if I wanted to show off more I could wear my 3's but my hubby hates that so I try not to.......

Old 08-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Show off If you've got it, flaunt it girl
I will when I have less to flaunt!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Jimboburnsy and group....
This has been very helpful advice this week......I needed something simple to help me decide if something was acceptable "good" as we started this process so most everything has been meat/seafood (hunt and catch part), whole grain rice, brocolli, brussel sprounts, salad and tea. I'll expand the menu options this week but this was really helpful to me as I tried to keep everything simple this first week. Thank you!!!
You sound like you are off to a great start!!
I agree the "whites" you are leaving out are probably why you feel better.
That happened to be.
Spend time in the produce section of the grocery store and rediscover
fruits and vegetables that you like. We have been eating a ton of watermelon this year and I probably had none last year.
I have kiwi and berries with a dab of yogart on top and it beats any
cake or pie I have ever had. Find local tomatoes if you can and if you like them.. they are my favorite.
Grill a lean meat and just add vegetables and/or salad. We used to have bread with every meal and now I don't even miss it.
Think of all the wonderful foods you can have that heal and energize
your body and you will begin to not even want the other bad foods.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Thanks Kelly.
I do love home grown tomatoes ....but in SANDWICHES with Dukes mayo. So I'm learning to like them just sliced with a little salt and pepper. Everything I used to like has to be modified but that is ok. It is worth it. I'm not trying to look like something others want....I just want to be the best I can be and to really help motivate my husband to keep at this because he has been at an unhealthy weight. We are doing fairly well this week. I had a special event tonight so I ate a few things not on my list but I tried to stick to the broccoli and carrot sticks...but I did have sugar in my punch and a teacake. I'm not going to beat myself up for it but I am getting right back on the horse tomorrow morning. Generally, we both are sticking to the plan...I'm still struggling to make interesting dinners with the new limitations because I really can't even use any marinades since they are so full of sugar and/or sodium. This will force me to be creative. I'm also going to see if Foxfire in Greenville (cooking store) has any healthy cooking classes on their schedule. If not, it may stimulate them to add one. Thanks again for the encouragement and suggestions......

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
I haven't read all your posts , but I saw one that asked if anyone had a weight loss stall when they began. Me!!!! Is exercise new to you.??
sorry ..I am sure it is in a post somewhere.

I started walking an hour a day just a few weeks after I started my diet and I actually gained a few pounds. I was told it was my body reacting to the new exercise and sorta an inflamatory response. I was sore!!
I wanted to beleive but it was hard to stick with it with the scale doing weird things!! But they were right... Within a few weeks the pounds started flying off...

Old 08-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Oh I hoping and praying all of this work is going to start paying off with the pounds flying off, like you say!!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Sorry Im checking in late here...

But i have found that diets just DO NOT Work and people are fooling themsevles.

I've went from weighing 230 pounds down to 142 in 9 months by following these simple rules:

1). Give it Time - Nothing is Overnight.

2). Eat Less - Plain and Simple, STOP OVEREATING even if you need to eat more often.

3). No Soda's or Kool Aids - Water Water Water is key (best way to ween yourself off is to go to diet then to flavored waters, then to good old fashion water)

4). Get active, join a gym -you need excercise, if you live in a city walk rather then bus,subway or driving. If you can join classes or get a buddy that helps alot to keep focused.

5). If you must have sweetener Splenda and Equal are best subsitutes.

It has done wonders for me and I'm hanging strong, the excerise is now a hobby and the main contributor to keeping it off. In the end you will notice that its easier to maintain the weight rather then lose.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Thanks Blackbeauty.
I'm doing the water, water, water thing and it is helping. I have lost some lbs and have done well without the sweets and bread, for the most part. Inconsistency with my exercise has been my main challenge these past few weeks. I recognize that and am going to start planning my day better so that exercise is a priority. My husband has done MUCH better than me but he also had much more weight to lose......I'm very proud that we have made some good changes with more to come.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Default Three Things in Unison

Quote:
Hey guys,
I did search the forum before posting this question, although I am a newbie to this on-line chat thing. I searched the web for forums about diets specifically but I can't differentiate between those fake forums sponsored by products they are trying to push and real ones. My husband and I just started trying to eat only protein and grains this week but I really don't know what is an effective and healthy way to do this. We are trying NOT to do the Nutrisystem thing because it is so darned expensive but I'm worried about his health and I would like to get back to my HS weight, which means losing 25lbs. I used to take ephedra, when it was legal, and I could always drop weight rapidly. Now that ephedra is no longer available, I need to find a plan that works. Please don't just tell me to eat less and exercise....I've tried that and our metabolism seems "stuck". We are starting to exercise more but I need also need a plan to stick to. I'll appreciate any good advice you can provide. He carries his weight around his stomach and I carry mine in my legs and butt.
My wife and I have had very good success at losing weight by doing three things.
(1) Eat a balanced diet using fat free or low fat food with portion control.
(2) Exercise at least 4 to 5 times a week. We used everything from treadmills to weights.
(3) We take supplements. We were concerned that with the use of portion control we would not get enough nutriants in our body.
It has worked great, it is a slow process and a change in life style, but I have lost 20 and my wife has lost 25, and we are keeping it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss