Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM

943 posts, read 782,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Thanks AH.
I'll look into the Lean Cuisine dinners but this is where I begin to get confused....I was told the packaged foods were full of sodium and things that would trigger insulin resistance and make it harder to lose weight..... I did find the steamer bags and I used them tonight for the broccoli. These are WONDERFUL!!!! I'll do chicken tomorrow night because I'm already fed up with fish. Also, I like the idea of writing down what we eat. I think this will be a useful tool for the nutritionist (recommendation from another helpful poster) to use in assessing our diet.

Good suggstions...thx.
Please stay away from "lean cuisine" or any pre-packaged meal. Actually, stay away from any processed meal which claims to be "healthy"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Please stay away from "lean cuisine" or any pre-packaged meal. Actually, stay away from any processed meal which claims to be "healthy"
Very true.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
No diets work. A diet means you are limiting yourself of something, by your nature as soon as you limit something you will crave it.
The proper approach is to adopt a lifestyle that is full of choices and to make the choices that are right for you at a given moment in time.
Can I have Chocolate cake... yes, if you are more moderate in portion you can still loose weight. If you have too much you may gain weight. do you want to be your current weight? get your mind to choose the path you take and there will be no sabotaging along the way.
Go for a healthy lifestyle, not a diet.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times
Thanks Moinfire.
I haven't had a packaged dinner all week, although I did pick up two lean cuisines in case I got jammed with work and couldn't cook. I did get jammed for lunch one day so I picked up 3 Grilled Chicken breasts from Chickfilet and topped it with natural salsa with side of whole grain rice (microwave in 90 secs). It was very filling and quick. I've been staying away from fruits this week because of the carbs and I've reduced portions. I still get hungry but I'm hoping my stomach will start to "shrink" like I've heard so that I won't get hungry so frequently. But 5 days in and still on track.....I'll swim and walk/jog this weekend so hopefully that will help start a serious fat burn furnace. Thank you!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times
Thanks AONE.
I guess I need a "diet" to start because I've tried for a couple of years to eat what I want but control the portions and that didn't work. My husband's weight really increased and I gained 25lb over 5 years. I need a solid diet plan that will teach me how to eat so that I can adjust myself to the structure and then I can work to add back things in moderation and off-set with giving up some other things and exercising more to compensate for the calories. BUT since this is all so new to me, I have to figure out HOW to measure the calories, how much exercise is necessary for my unique body and how to prepare food that is good for us but that is worth eating. Last night's dinner (steamed pork chops) was terrible....... I've got to keep working on finding good recipes because I'd rather just not eat if the food is bad.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,676 times
Tinabean, the pre-package foods may help you keep calories down but I find them unfulfilling (I'm hungry in a matter of an hour) and many are full of sodium. I once spent a week only eating frozen packgage foods and found that my legs and fingers had become swollen from all the sodium. As soon as I cut this drastically down, I found the swelling went down. My approach is managing my carbs. This means eating lots of lean protein and adding veggies and a small amount of complex carbs like brown rice or sweet potato and occassionally beans. I personally stay away from white bread and "health bars" with all the sugar. Also, drinking lots of water and eating at regular meal times (to balance your insulin level) has also helped me lose weight and keep it off. Other tips:

1) Get rid of "fat" clothes as soon as they become too big. When you have clothes in larger sizes, you're less likely to notice how much weight you are packing back on because you still have clothes to wear.
2) Weigh yourself regularly. I weigh everyday in the morning. I don't panic if I have gained a couple of pounds of water weight over a day but it does help me keep things in check.
3) Eat breakfast even if it's just a boiled egg and coffee or a cup of yogurt. Just make sure you have some protein as that's key to staying satieated.
4) Exercise but don't go too strenuous. I actually found I lost much more weight with a light/moderate walking program then I ever did running. In fact, I gained weight when I was training for 1/2 marathon.
5) Don't waste your money on all the diet pills. I have tried all the quick fixes and finally realized after spending thousands that there is none and many are dangerous for you. Really, if there was truly a drug that good, it would be on the cover of every magazine and a part of every medical journal.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
Well I can tell you that those on "diets" gain it back. and 4-10% more. When I tell you this it is not from a real estate back ground but from years previous in the weight loss industry. I can tell you the progrms out there have a slim margin of success less than 5%. If you are seeking a menu plan go for variety. The vegies should be the largest portion of it.... not the starchy ones. with all the other items use moderation. for a normal woman aim for 1100-1400 calories daily this should have you in a slow weight loss... the slower the better. If you seek a quick fix it simply won't work. Here is an idea of a breakdown
Protein - 180-240 calories
dairy - 160
fruit - 120-150
grain/carbs - 450
fat- 80-120
vegies unlimited
2-4 liters of water daily
A plate should have color on it.
eat a few things many times in the day vs a large meal once or twice

Use lite bread
dip your fork in salad dressing then in the salad, don't dress the salad
a fried egg in pam is about 60 calories
potatos are filling... i skip the toppings when i want to lose weight.
salt can cause water gains but drink more water and it goes away
Avoid diet soda - nutrasweet is a poison
if you like the sparkle in soda. go for scented waters... Canada Dry makes some raspberry and lemon/lime flavors... zero calories

Notice I don't say you can't have any foods? keep the overall goal in mind and an average of the above and you will lose weight. If you lose too much increase each group a little until you get to 1/2# weekly.
Don't weigh yourself daily, weekly is more than enough, let your clothes be a better judge than a scale.
If your rings are tight.... water retention . expect that at least once a month for women.

Exercise daily - minimum 30 minutes a day , either a walk, swim or bike ride. build duration, stamina and endurance. if you walk increase the distance and speed but never the length of time.

Make eating right a habit. Make working out a religion you practice. Be Happy. This is the formula to be at a weight you want to be.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Hi Zoran.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yeah, the 6 meals a day thing won't really work for me because I have enough trouble trying to plan for THREE. Right now we started with just bacon and eggs for breakfast, tuna and whole wheat crackers for lunch and fish with either broccoli or brussel sprouts for dinner. I don't know how long we can keep this up so that's why I'm reaching out for help. I'll try to find Weight Watchers recipes on-line without joining....hopefully someone posted some. I'm also going to try to find a nutritionist like BS suggested to help me with some menus....... and good for you at 110! I guess I was in the 9th grade the last time I weighed in at 110. I only have 25 lbs to go but my husband has quite a few more so I'll stick to it as long as I can get him to. Thx again.
You can add some fruits and vegetables to all of your meals above....or have them as snacks. You must exercise at least 4-5 times a week too, even if walking is all you can manage.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Eat a little LESS everyday, exercise a little MORE everyday. Healthy Heart diet in moderation is good for everyone. Less fat, less salt and less sugar = a longer life.
Steps are a great exercise. Walf up and down your basement steps a couple of times a day. One other thing... soda. It doesn't matter the brand, type, color or bottle. One 12 ounce bottle/can per day will pack on 30 pounds per year. This includes diet soda, too.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,471 times
Smile Dillard Diet Design...in Leesburg

I've been doing the Dillard's Diet Design program through Leesburg, and it has been amazing! I've lost 25 lbs since May. I would recommend it to anyone plus it's safely directed because they monitor you weekly here in Ocala. I'm telling you it works...I've tried most everything else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss