Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much...this does help.
I have never heard of these two sites before and this is exactly what I had hoped to achieve...to find RELIABLE resources from folks who have succeeded. Thank you fo your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah, exactly!!! It seems like I'm eating less and moving more but I weigh more?????
But I am determined, for both me and my husband, to keep at this until we make something work. If you don't have excellent health, nothing else in life can be fully enjoyed. Thanks for the comments!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM

KELLY, Thank you!!!!
My husband and I are in the same exact boat...almost the same numbers, too!
I am sooo happy that I posted here, even though this site has a different objective.
I have excellent resources to help me do this correctly PLUS I have more enthusiam because I'm hearing folks in my backyard (who like to eat the same things I do!) tell me what worked for them. Thanks so much for the help. This is day #3 and we just finished lunch....he ate the tuna salad with whole wheat crackers and I ate an Amy's Cali veggie burger patty on whole wheat bread. I'm going to look for WW recipes and the 3 Fat CHicks on a Diet website to find something different to make for dinner tonight. YOu all are just so sweet to help me. Thank you so much.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
the book is called the eat clean diet by tosca reno! even though diet is in the title it is a way of life,and the only way to eat ,period. natural Bodybuilders been eating this way for 60 years and it is the way we ate before wwII .You dont want to be skinny fat you want lean muscle mass to replace the fat and the ONLY way is to eat clean,ALWAYS.I sell nothing ,you asked.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestion..... I am hearing that the packaged foods contribute to the problem from a lot of folks. I'm going to try to do this with the whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies and good quality protein. That seems to be what has worked most for folks. I'll only use the Lean Cuisine's as secondary back-up for when I don't have time to cook from scratch or when I'm away on biz and my husband has to fend for himself. It is just too easy to order chinese or pizza if I don't have a back up plan in place. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM

I'm already on it. I have a membership to Gwd Athletic Club, which is 4 minutes from home. I have not gotten a personal trainer yet because I'm going to try to find a buddy to go with me. I'm working on getting my husband interested in joining the gym then HE can be my work out buddy. Maybe if he sees the weight coming off for me, it will motivate him to want to do it. I think because he is not as buff as the guys in the gym (right now) he feels a little intimidated...but I'm just guessing here. I'll try to set an example and gently encourage so he doesn't feel nagged. I'm just happy that he is commiting to the diet portion. It was impossible for me to do it before because he would just tell me he would not eat "Rabbit Food". Now, this time, it is HIS suggestion and he is motivating me to learn all I can to use in my shopping and cooking. Thanks for the info and I look forward to going BACK to a more moderate diet which will include my favorite foods once I get the weight off. Thanks for taking the time to give me this info!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM

I feel you on that....changing these craving patterns is HARD!!!! I would walk 3 miles for a slice of lemon pound cake!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
What you buy at the store will dictate what you eat, so plan meals ahead and shop by recipe ingredients.

It's very hard to change habits really fast, so it helps to keep eating what you know, but tweak it. I have a list of all my fave foods on my computer - Beef and Broccoli, Roast Chicken, Spaghetti Vongole etc. I googled each recipe name plus 'low-fat' or 'weight watchers', found a healthy recipe and added the link to the list. So I have a quick reference for healthy versions of the meals I like, and in most cases they are 30% lower in cals - partly because the veggie or grain proportion is higher than the 'norm'. My beef in broccoli now has a LOT of broccoli in it!!!

PS Cut out the salty stuff too, that really helps

Old 08-06-2008, 10:49 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
If you cant hunt it,grow it,or catch it, YOU CANT EAT IT!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly0428 View Post
I've heard - but can't swear by it - that the easiest way to lose weight through diet/lifestyle change is to cut flour and sugar from your diet. I have to assume that sugar means refined sugar, not natural sugars found in fresh fruit. And flour is tough - no bread, pasta, crackers, breading, etc.

Has anyone ever tried this? What was the result? How long did you do it, or has it become a lifetime diet?
I did a diet similar to the plan I referenced in my previous post. No sugar/flour/potatoes/salt/diet soda, etc.

I was trying to drop 15 and I dropped 13 in a month. It is a big change and hard to do. After the initial weight loss, I have added in a few of those things very sparingly 1-2x a week and have maintained a weight loss of 10-12 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss