Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM

14 posts, read 137,854 times

Advertisements

The South Beach Diet works pretty good, one draw back is the amount of cooking you have to do, but you are never hungry and in 2 weeks you can lose 14lbs, I really don't know how with all that food, but it works, there is a lot of diet information on the web, try DidYouDiet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,758 times
Hi guys.
Thanks for all of the helpful info. I've been doing better but still not the results I had hoped for. This week, getting my routine at the gym will be my priority. The walking, swimming, etc... has not been agressive enough to stimulate the results I want to see. People are telling me that I look like I've lost weight so it is better but I still have much room for improvement. Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. It sounds simple...eat less, move more but there is much, much more to it. Learning to cook healthy meals that taste good is an important component. For people who enjoy eating, it is critical to make the small portions really count. I've discovered taht you simply can not turn off the desire to eat good food. But you can love food that is prepared in a healthy way and that which is good for you. I'm eating more fruit and vegetables, only wheat bread (which I love) and an occassional skinny cow ice cream bar for a sweet treat. I've switched to whole grain sun chips instead of potato chips. The only sodas I drink are diet 7-up and a REAL coke once per week. Lots of changes but, like many of you said, it takes time. I'm not incredibly overweight. It is just that I am tall but with a thin bone structure so 25 extra pounds on me makes me feel heavy. I do feel better and I am sleeping better. I will start with a new physician this year (looking for a good female doc) as well. I think that a female doctor can better tune in to the changes I'm seeing in my body now that I've hit 40. I'll never be a supermodel and I do NOT want to become one of those self-absorbed people who constantly worry about what they look like but I do want to be the best ME that I can be. I think that is a worthy goal and I appreciate all of the input you have given me on my journey. Keep posting those links to incredible recipes....my hubby has quite a bit more weight to go and I really want to help him reach his goal.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM

14 posts, read 137,854 times
Default recipes

If you are looking for great tasting healthy recipes, check out DidYouDiet.com and go to the recipe pages, they even have videos on how to cook and its all healthy

Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM

69 posts, read 239,762 times
Well I am not saying it will make you lose weight but I read in Firsy Mag in this summer about eat or taking the Tart Cherries. It helps reduce your belly fat. I have been taking the Tart Cherry Supplements from Vitamin Shoppe. Tart Cherry (N) by Nature's Life - VitaminShoppe.com They run about $12 or you can find it a little cheaper some thing at Vitanet. I also eat cherries from Target (their brand because they are bigger) $2.55 about a bag. I have lose not much but hey 2 inches is 2 inches. So I can not tell you about some miracle pill that will make you lose weight I can just tell you I am 5ft 9 weighed 200 & now I weigh 195 & lose 2 inches but I also walk every day 1 - 2 1/2 miles along with using Enova oil & drinking a little soda not much & cut down on some fats. But I believe the cherries helped because I was doing all that other stuff & nothing so it helps a little but if you want fast results this is not it. I am happy with the results I see. I also just started about a month & ahalf ago taking Chia Seeds. They are like loaded with fiber, protein, omega 3, calcium, the list goes on. I just pour the seeds in my mouth then wash them down with juice. They are better that way. Good luck to you.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
Default important health advisory for all cd'ers--

Here are some common misconceptions in an easy to understand Q&A format

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!.... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

----------------------------------------------- ------ -----------------

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------<

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

Important health advisory from inDUHvidual......

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking Engl ish is apparently what kills you

remember-----you heard it first from me
thanks for reading
inDUHvidual

Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by induhvidual View Post
Here are some common misconceptions in an easy to understand Q&A format

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all. Wine is made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way. Beer is also made out of grain. Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!!.... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

----------------------------------------------- ------ -----------------

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------<

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

Important health advisory from inDUHvidual......

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking Engl ish is apparently what kills you

remember-----you heard it first from me
thanks for reading
inDUHvidual
lol.......oh wow, for your sake I hope your kidding me with this

Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
Thumbs up I am on the same program!!

I don't call it a diet. I call it a lifestyle change. I have been on the program for 5 weeks and I have lost 15lbs. I go to the Lake Mary or Daytona office. I love the staff. My biggest issue is that it is coming off so slowly. Having said that, I have tried so many diets in the past and the weight comes off fast but I always put it back on...and they bring friends with them! This time, not only has this changed my way of eating but my whole family is loving it. I am the only one over weight. But for the 1st time in my life there are chips in my house (for the kids) and I have NO DESIRE to eat them.

I first heard about this program from a customer, I hadn't seen her in a while and I was shocked! She has lost 71lbs on this program and has kept it off!!! Needless to say, I called the next day. Every week when I weigh in I am bummed that my average weight loss is only 2lbs, but they tell me that this is the healthiest way to loose the weight...and keep it off.

I highly reccomend this program!!! BTW- Chrmdangel....PLEASE tell me how you are doing now????

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrmdAngel View Post
I've been doing the Dillard's Diet Design program through Leesburg, and it has been amazing! I've lost 25 lbs since May. I would recommend it to anyone plus it's safely directed because they monitor you weekly here in Ocala. I'm telling you it works...I've tried most everything else!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,076 times
Hi Tinabean, I can understand how confuse you are, after reading only a few of the replies here one can get more discouraged than it was before getting here.
I can tell you what I did and explain how it worked. If you have any question or comment feel free to share it with me, I'll be glad to help.
First, I dont needed to loose much, like your husband my problem was around my waist. I also had health issues and I was looking for something that could bring me to a healthy weight, other than the yoyo diets....out there.....
I did tryed lots of diferent products, from herbalife to nutrisystem to some over the counter herbs and teas.......and for me they worked the same...some give me the ilusion of help at the beginning than, when I try to get back to a normal diet (life), what i consider normal eating and exercise... I gain the weight back, over and over again.
Was than, a friend of mind introduced me to a 5 day cleansing (fiber) program....that would be the begining of a healthy life style, what I was looking all along... that give me a better understanding how my body metabolism actually works and mantains its weight with health.(Excessive weight alone may account for painful knees, painful hips, high blood pressure, diabetes, increases in reflux acid symptoms, and fatigue.)
I dont know how old you are, but there are many other factors to consider because even if you loose the pounds you want now...there bill be always the health to pay close attention later.

OK,consider this. Should blood glucose levels rise above 180 mg/dL (a measurement of glucose in the blood stream), for a prolonged period of time kidney failure, blindness, and hardening of the arteries can result. If one’s blood sugar drops below 40 mg/dL, coma, seizure, or even death may occur. Therefore, our bodies have a sophisticated hormonal system that is continuously working to maintain blood sugars in the optimal range, which would be between 80 mg/dL and 180 mg/dL. There are two major hormones, which are primarily involved in controlling blood sugars. Insulin lowers blood sugar and is essentially our "storage hormone" and drives the sugar into the cell to be utilized or stored as FAT. Glucagon is the opposite hormone of insulin and essentially takes stored fat and changes it into sugar as means of increasing blood sugar levels. Amazing findings are being revealed about what takes place in our bodies when we eat what is now referred to as a HIGH GLYCEMIC MEALS. We now know why so many Americans and people who live in industrialized countries are becoming overweight, diabetic, and having heart attacks.
All carbohydrates are simply long chains of sugars: they are digested and converted to glucose. Since the early 1900’s, it was believed that the digestion rate and conversion to glucose was directly related to the length of the chemical sugar chain. This gave rise to the terms "complex carbohydrate" and "simple sugar," a limited concept leading dieticians and physicians alike to recommend the consumption of starchy foods along with a decreased consumption of sugar.(atkins)

In the early 1980’s, however, the concept of chain length in carbohydrate digestion rate was questioned. Since then, many researchers have focused on how fast specific carbohydrates are absorbed by the body and converted to sugar, thus determining the body’s insulin response.
Many researchers now propose the use of the glycemic index—the rate of how fast blood sugar levels are raised after a particular carbohydrate is consumed—as a system for classifying foods containing carbohydrates. This concept was thoroughly reviewed in a major article, which appeared in the May 8, 2002 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association titled, "The Glycemic Index", written by David Ludwig, M. D. This article draws heavily on Ludwig’s findings.

As you can see I became fasinated for this subject (and health subjects)....and I like to help people to understand that is not just refer some recepie and "it wil be all good"....Is just that we got so many "junk information" and when we look into ourselves and look for health answers we find the weight problem right there.
Anyway, my message is long I know, sorry about that, I appreciate you read it all the way. Hope this have helped and if you are pursuing a healthy life style and think this is for you email me to [email]info@kaisermann.com[/email]...i dont want to sound Im advertising but I can give you all the links you need for research.

With respect,
Tania H.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,030 times
Default He/She is correct

TaniaH is correct. Glycemic Index (GI) all the way. Unprocessed foods tend to have a higher GI. Foods with a GI < 55 are considered low GI. These don't spike your blood sugar and put your body in fat storage mode. I have been watching portions for 2 years and was staying at 200 lbs. (I'm 6'0") After I started replacing processed sugars, bleached, enriched flour, white rice with their whole grain counterparts, I have lost 11 lbs. of fat in 3 mos. I have changed nothing else. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss