Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Way too much, most with a Carbohydrate Metabolism Disorder will have to keep taking toxic medication that is hard on the kidneys and liver. The ADA's 2010 guidebook for diabetics recommends 45-55% carbs in the diet.
You're really not paying attention to the math are you? Here's the math:

1 gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories.
A 2000-calorie intake is a fair average of a healthy person to *maintain* their current weight (not gain or lose), varying by height and age.

45-55% carbs is YOUR benchmark. Let's cut it in the middle and call it 50%. The word "half" is another representation of 50%.

And so - in order for the average person who doesn't need to lose, or gain weight, to consume "half" of their caloric intake in carbohydrates, he would have to consume TWO HUNDRED FIFTY CARBS. The math: 250 carbs x 4 calories = 1000 calories = half of 2000 calories. The other math: 250*4 = 2000/2

Brooklyn and I are both trying to tell you that FIFTY carbs - is what the ADA is recommending. NOT 250 carbs.

250 carbs that you are misreading is the "way too much." Not the 50 we're both getting right from the ADA's website, which is available to the public, that anyone whose library has internet access can get for free, and is up to date and current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:49 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You're really not paying attention to the math are you? Here's the math:

1 gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories.
A 2000-calorie intake is a fair average of a healthy person to *maintain* their current weight (not gain or lose), varying by height and age.

45-55% carbs is YOUR benchmark. Let's cut it in the middle and call it 50%. The word "half" is another representation of 50%.

And so - in order for the average person who doesn't need to lose, or gain weight, to consume "half" of their caloric intake in carbohydrates, he would have to consume TWO HUNDRED FIFTY CARBS. The math: 250 carbs x 4 calories = 1000 calories = half of 2000 calories. The other math: 250*4 = 2000/2

Brooklyn and I are both trying to tell you that FIFTY carbs - is what the ADA is recommending. NOT 250 carbs.

250 carbs that you are misreading is the "way too much." Not the 50 we're both getting right from the ADA's website, which is available to the public, that anyone whose library has internet access can get for free, and is up to date and current.
Ok, yeah, 50 CARBS A DAY HUH, that about sounds right, so we agree!!!!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Right, give or take, depending on the person's actual needs. That's why the guideline was 45%-60%. And, 50 carbs is not 50% of your caloric intake for a day. Or at least, if you want to remain healthy, it shouldn't be. Because if it were 50% of your full daily caloric intake, it would mean you're only eating 400 calories per day (50 carbs x 4 calories = 200 x 2 = 400 total).

Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Many have had results, but statistics show that they are short-lived, figuratively and literally. Every year about 200 people die from the diet. Many that survive the damage to their organs gain the weight back.

Lose weight by losing the poor eating habits that put the weight on to begin with, and give yourself as much time to lose it as you took to gain it.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Ugh it took me 15 years to gain 40 pounds. I'm not in a rush but I'd like to lose that moderate amount of overage some time before I start collecting social security

I'm working on 16 pounds before June. That's 10 weeks total since I started, to lose 1.6 pounds per week. I think that's reasonable, given that I'm just cutting calories, trying to eat better "quality" carbs, sticking mostly to boneless skinless chicken for my meats, and getting outside and walking every single day even if my knuckles freeze.

Oddly enough, if I'm counting these calories right, I haven't gone over 1300 calories in any day in the last week, and I'm not feeling hungry or deprived at all. I've been craving cheesecake and italian snowball cookies but it's "that time" and I ALWAYS crave cheesecake and italian snowball cookies this time of month. I haven't given in yet!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:40 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times
I know for me just the fact that I am aware of what i am eating has helped me in the long run. I do a sorta type of Atkins lifestyle, plan for the carbs, do my best to get them earlier in the day. I do buy a bar or two to have around if I want one. I think they are good and in line cost wise with most types of bars.
I am looking to watch my sodium now.
Going overboard isn't good anytime. However back in the day I had a good amount to lose and the loads of meat/cheese got me over the first few weeks of feeling deprived and got me in the habit of eating awareness.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I know for me just the fact that I am aware of what i am eating has helped me in the long run. I do a sorta type of Atkins lifestyle, plan for the carbs, do my best to get them earlier in the day. I do buy a bar or two to have around if I want one. I think they are good and in line cost wise with most types of bars.
I am looking to watch my sodium now.
Going overboard isn't good anytime. However back in the day I had a good amount to lose and the loads of meat/cheese got me over the first few weeks of feeling deprived and got me in the habit of eating awareness.
Yeah the initial carb cravings are offset by the seemingly ridiculous ability to loose weight by eating bacon, cheesy eggs and steak haha, but honestly once you get into a groove you can choose much better options.

I'm not into a formal Atkins diet but just simply cut out processed carbs, and most fruits. I've substituted mostly egg whites for regular eggs, canadian bacon, and less cheese for breakfast and have never been shy about having lots of vegetables or salad greens. Mostly skinless chicken, turkey burgers or lean pork- blend up those steamed cauliflower with grilled onions and roasted peppers with a splash of cream and butter and I'm happy. Or just a bunch of sauteed vegies- no carrots, corn or potatoes. I miss bread and rice and pasta but I'm getting by, and I've lost about 15+lbs in six weeks so I'm happy. Now, I have smoothies with berries and almond milk, and one day a week I eat whatever the heck I want and shortly that will be two days a week. I can incorporate a lower carb diet for life I think now and should be able to keep the excess weight off.

It works better for men than woman I think- I'm 49, 6-2 and I think I was about 205-210 when I started and think I'm about 190 now. I never weigh myself yet my 34 pants are just starting to sag like a teenage boy though- yay! Oh yeah, and I just discovered pork rinds- wow, not quite as good as chips but it'll do.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Those "healthy" oils many times are very high in Omega 6 which is HIGHLY inflammatory, that is not a good thing. More and more scientists are looking at inflammation as a cause/large factor in both heart disease and chronic pain. Inflammation/damage in the vasculature causes a healing response, that is one of the reasons for clogged arteries. And did you know that much of the blockage in arteries is made up of CALCIUM??

Sat fat also is associated with inflammation. And even high Omega 6 oils, like corn oil, are generally better for CVD than sat fat, from what I can gather of the literature.Of course high omega 3 fats - fish oils, nuts, olive oil, etc are even better.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Not true at all. I've been doing this for over 6 months and am basically as healthy as a normal teenager (I'm almost 44). That's what my doctor said after my latest round of blood tests that literally test almost anything they can think of and then some; 9 vials worth each time. It also includes my pulse and blood pressure, which is definitely better than anyone on a high fat diet. Those clogged arteries just can't transfer the blood as well.
So, you are suggesting that a high fat/low carb diet is going to clog arteries? I would post that most people dedicated to doing a traditional Atkins-type-diet will see improvements in health, that includes their lipid profiles.

Over half of the people who have heart attacks have cholesterol levels at or below normal levels, must be more to the lipid/heart disease hypothesis than meets the eye.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
So, you are suggesting that a high fat/low carb diet is going to clog arteries? I would post that most people dedicated to doing a traditional Atkins-type-diet will see improvements in health, that includes their lipid profiles.

Over half of the people who have heart attacks have cholesterol levels at or below normal levels, must be more to the lipid/heart disease hypothesis than meets the eye.
Not really. There's nothing secret here. You can hear all about it on TV commercials if you want the dramatized version, or you can check the American Heart Association, or CDC, or NHLBI, or any of the dozens of hospital-based organizations dedicated to research and treatments of artherioslerosis.

They don't "know" what causes the lining to tear - it's believed the clogged artery begins with a little rip, and plaque builds up from the rip. But they all agree that smoking, foods high in fat, foods high in cholesterol, insulin/sugar intake problems, and high blood pressure all contribute to it.

You're right, it doesn't mean a person has to have high cholesterol levels in order to get a heart attack. Then again, a heart attack is not always caused by coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease is only one of many possible causes of heart attacks. People have had heart attacks from stress, and trying to move their bodies too hard when they're obese. A fatty heart can cause a heart attack. A congenital disorder can cause a heart attack. There are some people who have high cholesterol who never have heart attacks.

But if you have coronary artery disease (aka artheriosclerosis), then what you have, is plaque buildup in the arteries. And that plaque buildup is less likely to exist, if you don't smoke, don't eat a lot of fatty foods, keep your cholesterol level down, and don't have diabetes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss