Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,558,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
So, you are suggesting that a high fat/low carb diet is going to clog arteries? I would post that most people dedicated to doing a traditional Atkins-type-diet will see improvements in health, that includes their lipid profiles.
is a traditional atkins type diet different from a contemporary atkins diet? I am NOW told that that Atkins shifts to moderate fat consumption, with strict limits on sat fat, during maintenance. During weight loss, for those for whom atkins is associated with dramatic and rapid weight loss, improvement in lipid profiles is hardly surprising, since lowering weight does that.

IF someone A. Achieves rapid weight loss in the weight loss phase of atkins B. Successfully shifts to maintenance and keeps the weight off, and during maintenance, limits sat fat intake as Atkins apparently tells people to do

Then that would like be a successful approach for that person. Which is why I will never say that no one should do atkins (at least not based on the evidence I have).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
So, you are suggesting that a high fat/low carb diet is going to clog arteries? I would post that most people dedicated to doing a traditional Atkins-type-diet will see improvements in health, that includes their lipid profiles.
Well for one I dont think the description "high fat/low carb" is really very useful, since not all fats are created equal, and not all carbs are created equal. Second it depends if we are attempting to seperate the direct effects of such a diet from weight loss effects, which, as seen above, presents methodological issues.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
is a traditional atkins type diet different from a contemporary atkins diet? I am NOW told that that Atkins shifts to moderate fat consumption, with strict limits on sat fat, during maintenance. During weight loss, for those for whom atkins is associated with dramatic and rapid weight loss, improvement in lipid profiles is hardly surprising, since lowering weight does that.

IF someone A. Achieves rapid weight loss in the weight loss phase of atkins B. Successfully shifts to maintenance and keeps the weight off, and during maintenance, limits sat fat intake as Atkins apparently tells people to do

Then that would like be a successful approach for that person. Which is why I will never say that no one should do atkins (at least not based on the evidence I have).
Ok, I am not an ideologue, I believe there are many ways to eat healthfully.

But, I think there is one main ASSUMPTION that seems to run through these health thread. That assumption is that those so called "good fats"...among which people include are the highly inflammatory Omega 6.......are SAFER than Saturated fat.

Inflammation is being looked at as a CAUSE for a whole host of problems.....including stroke and CVD.

My dad died of a bleeding stroke while on high doses of Statins to control his cholesterol.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, I am not an ideologue, I believe there are many ways to eat healthfully.

But, I think there is one main ASSUMPTION that seems to run through these health thread. That assumption is that those so called "good fats"...among which people include are the highly inflammatory Omega 6.......are SAFER than Saturated fat.

Inflammation is being looked at as a CAUSE for a whole host of problems.....including stroke and CVD.

My dad died of a bleeding stroke while on high doses of Statins to control his cholesterol.

Yes, my impression from what I have read is is that Omega 3 is better than Omega 6, and Omega 6 PUFA is still better than saturated fat. AFAICT the Atkins plan agrees with that - so its not just "the antifat mafia" or whatever.

There are many causes of stroke, and AFAIK controlling cholesterol does not necesssarily eliminate stroke risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss