Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,351,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well next time, try starting a few weeks earlier. Then you won't have to starve yourself for three weeks.
January 2 usually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM

420 posts, read 1,374,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
What was the original weight and what is it now? Do you think you have good metabolism?

It's natural to lose weight cutting bad habits for a person with normal metabolism (i.e not metabolically ill) if it's quite a bit to lose. It's hard to lose the "last" 5-10 lbs for a person who already eats no sugar and doesn't abuse carbs, and whose weight is normal. I had to starve for 3 weeks on 1100-1300 calories per day as the bikini season is starting... (I still wish I could lose a little bit more, but not now)
I'm a guy, 25, 5'10" I was 221, and today I am down to 199!

I have about 20lbs a while to go before the last 5 lbs. I'm not planning on starving myself when I get close. If anything I'll just try a round of p90x if needed.

getting married in sept of 2012 so if I have a date I want to be all set by its that, so if I lose very slow, I dont mind so much... as long as I'm getting healthier and feeling better, which I am

Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,751,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I'm a guy, 25, 5'10" I was 221, and today I am down to 199!

I have about 20lbs a while to go before the last 5 lbs. I'm not planning on starving myself when I get close. If anything I'll just try a round of p90x if needed.

getting married in sept of 2012 so if I have a date I want to be all set by its that, so if I lose very slow, I dont mind so much... as long as I'm getting healthier and feeling better, which I am
Well, the marriage cannot happen soon enough......then you can experience donutosity in its purest form...........turn back into a regular human.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,991,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I stopped eating sugar and simple carbs, and drastically limited all other grains.

Thats it...

Will you continue this habit forever?
Will youkeep those pounds off forever.

If you do, you'll be the 1% or so of people who do.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM

420 posts, read 1,374,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Will you continue this habit forever?
Will youkeep those pounds off forever.

If you do, you'll be the 1% or so of people who do.

Will I continue to eat less simple carbs then I did before. Hell yes i will. Will I now attack food knowing that the meat and veggies should be my focus and the grains and other carbs should be limited... yes. of course I will.

My problem has never been a lack of motivation, its been ignorance. Now that I understand what works for me, and why... I'll continue it.

Will I have ice cream now and then, sure. But I can assure of a few things. I'll never have a big plate of pasta for dinner again, I'll never buy another low fat product again. If I want to indulge, I'll indulge in fats, not carbs.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,591,210 times
I'm glad this is working for you. My method isn't nearly so restrictive. I've drastically cut down on the amount of junk food I eat (I used to eat at McDonald's or Burger King once a week; now it's maybe once a month), I've been eating more salads, I try to limit my snacks to 100 calories each, and I go dancing twice a week. I've lost 9 pounds since January 1st (so maybe I actually lost 12 pounds and gained 3 pounds back, who knows?), and I feel better. That was the revelation for me - how much better I feel now that I'm not eating junk food as often.

I also don't bother weighing myself; I can tell how well I'm doing by how my clothes are fitting, and that I can fit into some of my smaller jeans now. Truly, "move more and eat less" is what makes people lose weight.

When I get cravings, I'll have a little bit of whatever I want. Bite-sized candy bars are wonderful, as long as you only have one. I won't buy a big bag of potato chips from the market, but I will buy a small bag at a convenience store (not every day).

I'm very careful about what I drink, because all those frappuccinos, etc. are loaded with calories. Again, I may have one once a month.

I have to say "no" to myself a lot. "I really want that ice cream!" "No!"

When I first started dieting in January I was keeping a food diary, but that made me focus way too much on food (of course, right?). It did help me identify foods to stay away from, so in that way it was helpful. I haven't truly been dieting since March, but I'm continuing to make healthier choices. It's not always easy, but it's rewarding to know that I have enough self-discipline to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss