Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 AM

49 posts, read 276,392 times

Advertisements

Hi all!! I've been reading some posts on here, and it looks like the majority of people on here are major advocates for increasing activity and cutting calories as the best and most effective way to lose weight. I'm a nurse, so I totally understand that to be very true. However, my wedding is in (gasp) two months, and I swear I've been trying and trying and trying to lose weights the right way, eating right, exercise, portion control, the whole nine yards. I haven't lost one single pound!!!!! I'm not obese, but I'm not skinny minny either, and I just want to look good on my wedding day and honeymoon!! I KNOW that diet pills and things like that are not recommended, and are a temporary fix, but right now, that's ok with me because I've tried to do it the right way and nothing's happening. Now I'm desperate! Can anyone recommend a weight loss supplement that will really work quickly for short-term use? It will be in conjunction with diet and exercise that I'm doing already, I think I just need a boost. Thanks in advance. By the way, I had my thyroid checked, that's not the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,635 times
Hi there,

Congratulations on your wedding! First off, I've never seen a bride that wasn't stunning on her wedding day, I'm sure you will be beautiful. But, if your looking for a quick fix, the lbs. melted off me with this one. I wouldn't recommend it permanently though. Good luck! Jeannie

The Carbohydrate Addict's Official Home Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDurmie View Post
Hi all!! I've been reading some posts on here, and it looks like the majority of people on here are major advocates for increasing activity and cutting calories as the best and most effective way to lose weight. I'm a nurse, so I totally understand that to be very true. However, my wedding is in (gasp) two months, and I swear I've been trying and trying and trying to lose weights the right way, eating right, exercise, portion control, the whole nine yards. I haven't lost one single pound!!!!! I'm not obese, but I'm not skinny minny either, and I just want to look good on my wedding day and honeymoon!! I KNOW that diet pills and things like that are not recommended, and are a temporary fix, but right now, that's ok with me because I've tried to do it the right way and nothing's happening. Now I'm desperate! Can anyone recommend a weight loss supplement that will really work quickly for short-term use? It will be in conjunction with diet and exercise that I'm doing already, I think I just need a boost. Thanks in advance. By the way, I had my thyroid checked, that's not the problem.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
He fell in love with you at your present weight, didn't he? Have you asked him if he wants you to lose weight?

The worse thing about losing weight in a hurry is that you are going to gain it back even faster. Then all your friends will wonder if all you do is sit and eat since you got married.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
If you're young, doing everything right, and still not losing, weight is going to be a major battle for the rest of your life. The scale needs to be your best friend forever, not your enemy. Once you meet your goals you need to weigh every day and if you are over your weight 2 days in a row, go back to basics till it's gone. It will be harder once you get married because most men can eat a lot more than women and not gain weight. You will be seeing your H eat plates full of food while your plate has a small salad and a dry chicken breast. You also need to make exercise a big part of your daily life. You need to start running or walking depending on your physical condition. Plan on running 4 days a week for at least an hour and on your off days, doing at least an hour of weights. Muscle needs more calories to maintain than fat so building muscle is a good thing to do.

So you have 8 weeks. If you really want to lose, here are some ideas.

Go to a doc and get a prescription for optifast or medifast. No decisions to make, you just drink your food. Low carb Slimfast is good and so is no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast. Many of the otc liquid diets are full of sugar. Avoid them.

No matter what you eat, you need to get in an extra lot of water. At least 80 oz more than you normally drink. This is hard. Some people drink water when they are hungry.

Take a decent multivitamin and chromium piccolinate every day. Take a big gelcap of EFA's too.

Never drink anything with calories.

Here's a food plan that works for me. Meat is chicken breast, turkey, a can of tuna, or a tilapia(fish) filet. Meat is broiled or baked. I do use salt, pepper, mustard, and hot sauce but I have no problems with salt. Salad is 2 cups of raw spinach with 2 baby carrots or an ounce of sliced cucumber or green pepper. Salad dressing is any kind you want. 2 tbsp only.

3 times a day, you can have 1 salad and 1 meat. Simple and easy to do.

De-emphasize the importance of food in your life. Rewards and pleasures should be anything you enjoy that's not food. Best of luck!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I know many women feel the need to diet their way into their wedding dress but... maybe you should consider the fact that you may look better than you think. Personally, I didn't try to lose an ounce for my wedding - I was at my natural healthy weight. As a result, I'm about 1 lb away from my married weight right now and feel great about it (in other words, I didn't fatten up after getting married, I look the same). Weddings are stressful as it is so, take it easy on yourself and enjoy these moments... If you insist on losing 5-10 lbs. try not to eat anything heavy at night (salad, yogurt, half sandwich). Good luck on your wedding day...

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGDurmie View Post
kaiser permanente semi fast diet
lost 30 lbs. 2 months.
3 cans of slime fast and a modest meal a day plus some mild exercise.
im 59 and it worked.
i am maintaining with 2 meals a day and a can of slime fast.
no rice bread pasta no desserts
m o d e s t meals
lots of salad and chicken
no butter
the doctor said these would be hard to lose pounds for me because of of age and i was already a sensible eater. but it worked its slow but it works 1 to 3 lbs a week.
not i am not working retired
i dont think i could work and do this diet
i dont think i could be under a lot a stress and do this diet
but boy did it help my agility
my fencing went way up
stephen s
san diego, ca

Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,067,221 times
Have you tried:

Drinking only water or soy milk.
Eating 2 - 4 oz. portions of lean meat a day.
Eating at least 3 servings of vegetables(the green and orange ones) a day.
Eating at least 3 servings of fruits a day.
Only eating whole wheat carbohydrates and only 2 servings a day, to be eaten at breakfast and lunch.
No sugar at all.
Walk for 30 minutes a day.
If you overdo the exercise while limiting calories your body will store fat because it thinks you're starving it.
When I say drink water only I mean from the time you get up in the morning until you go to bed. Drink half your weight in oz.'s a day.
A smoothie in the morning is the easiest way to get some of your fruit in.
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 1/2 cups vanilla soymilk
1 scoop plain protein powder
1 tbs honey
This is so good.
It's also important to eat organic as much as possible, and at the least everthing all natural. This along with the water will rid your body of toxins, which will help your body to function properly and hence help you to lose weight. Eating this way will also give you that wonderful glow that every bride wants. You don't want to take diet pills and binge on crap because your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs and end up looking like a tired old but skinny hag do you? lol
This will also rid you of any bloating, hence making you look thinner!
Think total health nut!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
lots of emphasis on eating right here..that good too...but walking/running and weight training PLUS healthy eathing habits will make any extra pounds melt like butter on a hot knife..it did for me.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 26,815 times
You can try drinking green tea everyday. Not only did it cleared up my skin, I really lost weight. In two months, with the same eating habits, I lost ten pounds.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,985 times
Wish you the best on your upcoming wedding day. What an event to look forward to. Please don't put so much emphasis on your weight. Have you already bought a dress? If so, will it still fit if you do lose much weight? Are you overweight according to what you perceive as being 'overweight', or, since you state that you are a nurse, it is something that you are cognizant of?

Do you work unusual hours? Can you eat about 5-6 small meals a day? What I am getting at is, if your lifestyle will permit you to change your eating habits without putting an additional strain on yourself.

If you can and want to change things, I suggest a Slim Fast for your morning meal. Rich Chocolate is good. About 2 hours later then a piece of fruit. For lunch a 'regular' meal of small portion of lean meat, vegetables and water. Stay away from diet soft drinks for now at least. Then another snack of anything but starches/carbs. Then for your last full meal of the day: another Slim Fast. Try not to eat a full regular meal as your last meal of the day.

I am not a doctor and do not want to give medical advice. This is just what has/is working for me. ! weighed 230 last year and have lost 65 pounds so far using this method. My water consumption is greater than it used to be. Plus I do move around a lot more. Spring and summer, garden work, now up and down ladder painting my house. As others have suggested, some form of physical movement is important. Notice, I did not use the word 'exercise'.

Can't stand that word. Sounds so darn much like work. . Good luck to you and have a safe and pleasant time. Take care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss