Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,287,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I do, and trust me when I say this is just another repackaging of the same principles that bodybuilders and athletes have been using for eons. It works when done properly, but it's neither new nor revolutionary.
Yes, according to Ori Hofmekler this is how our ancestors ate. No one ate 3 meals a day day in and day out thousands of years ago.

It's a GOOD book, I dare you to read it.

Ori Hofmekler - The Warrior Diet.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
Why did you come back and respond to my post twice?

As for the book, I find it out that you want me to read an entire book when you repeatedly ignored two or three page studies related to the blood type diet you've apparently moved on from. That said, I'm fairly active on a couple bodybuilding and athletic forums so this Warrior Diet and Intermittent Fasting things that you've hopped onto now are nothing new to me. You're a good 18-24 months behind me on this.

Oh, and while the Warrior Diet gets some things right, you better ignore it's advice on fasted weight training less you want a one way ticket to a catabolic state.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why did you come back and respond to my post twice?

As for the book, I find it out that you want me to read an entire book when you repeatedly ignored two or three page studies related to the blood type diet you've apparently moved on from. That said, I'm fairly active on a couple bodybuilding and athletic forums so this Warrior Diet and Intermittent Fasting things that you've hopped onto now are nothing new to me. You're a good 18-24 months behind me on this.

Oh, and while the Warrior Diet gets some things right, you better ignore it's advice on fasted weight training less you want a one way ticket to a catabolic state.
My mistake David. Yes I had not heard of IF but I did do it intuitively for several years as a teenager. The WD was my first diet back in the day.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,084,295 times
I don't do intermittent fasting myself, but there is some solid evidence out there to show that it is effective and people have used it to success. You have to know what you are doing though or you will put yourself into catabolic state very easy.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Yes, according to Ori Hofmekler this is how our ancestors ate. No one ate 3 meals a day day in and day out thousands of years ago.
is this yet ANOTHER plan that gives recommendations to modern people based on incomplete evidence of preagricultural eating patterns, taken out of the context of the rest of preindustrial life, and ignoring the possibility that we have physically changed since 10,000 years ago?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
I'm sorry, I know the two are not related but I'm reading a great book about the Donner party and I just can't get that image out of my head. It's called The Indifferent Stars Above. Um, they got really thin.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
I did the Warrior Diet for a couple of years many years ago. I was in fantastic shape at the time. I had a very laborious job working for a large garden company that did mass plantings so I was digging holes in hard desert soil (more like breaking rocks:-) and lifting trees all day. I would have very light snacks throughout the day, nuts and dried berries, then one large meal at night. Pretty much as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted. My overall calories for the day were within 'normal' range, about 3,000 cal/day for a lean, muscular, 200 pound, 30-something active man.

My 'feast' meals could be epic. If you have only eaten ~500 calories all day, dinner could be a 2,500 calorie extravaganza of steaks, stews, roast chickens, eggs, (a whole pizza if I was bad ;-), cheese, slabs of salmon, tin upon tin of sardines, I made a lot of cheddar and onion quiches, and piles and piles of steamed veg. It is not an excuse to eat poorly, I piled on the high fiber foods and avoided simple carbs. I only ate fruit during the day when I needed energy or to quell hunger. I ate nuts and/or jerky during the day particularly for recovery. Although I did not shy away from fat, I 'erred' on the side of lean meats and diversified my vegetables. I liked to see, in terms of mass, half of my 'plate' consisting of plant matter.

Honestly I felt great. If I get back into reasonable shape, I would go back to that way of eating. Right now, I get a fair bit of anaerobic exercise, but you need more than that, in my opinion, for it to work. At least several hours of walking or other aerobic exercise.

The reason it is called the Warrior Diet is that it assumes the diet for a person who like ancient warriors (Romans are his example) would march great distances before taking on a labor such as camp setup, a battle, a works project, etc. These guys ate minimally while marching and working, then feasted when camp was set up and the sun went down. I am not an expert on the science behind it, but enough 'body professionals' with impeccable physical attributes follow this way that it is worth consideration.

I do think that this diet works best for people who are already in reasonable shape (but not necessarily without a few pounds to lose) who have a diverse physical conditioning regime whether through occupation or workouts.

It is not for sedentary folks looking to shed a few pounds.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 07-10-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,780 times
There is no secret magic to this diet or anything, its just a good way to reduce your overall calories. For some people, eating very calculated small meals throughout the day is boring and miserable and you hate the feeling of never being full. Its a good strategy to just not eat much during the day (which can be pretty easy to do sometimes if you're really concentrated on your work) and then having a bigger, more lenient meal at dinner that satisfies. Even though I hate to admit it, because I rarely agree with him, Bosco is right, it can be catabolic. Drinking protein shakes throughout the day however, should take care of that.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
There is no secret magic to this diet or anything, its just a good way to reduce your overall calories. For some people, eating very calculated small meals throughout the day is boring and miserable and you hate the feeling of never being full. Its a good strategy to just not eat much during the day (which can be pretty easy to do sometimes if you're really concentrated on your work) and then having a bigger, more lenient meal at dinner that satisfies. Even though I hate to admit it, because I rarely agree with him, Bosco is right, it can be catabolic. Drinking protein shakes throughout the day however, should take care of that.
Actually it's a great way to increase calories while preventing the insulin spikes that come from grazing all day. Definitely a great system for Os and a great find for me personally. Ori Hofmekler is a genius.

It is not catabolic. The small amount of fruits and veggies during the day prevents a rise in cortisol thus blocking any potentially catabolic effects. Cortisol is more of a problem for blood type As of course.....

Old 07-25-2011, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Actually it's a great way to increase calories while preventing the insulin spikes that come from grazing all day. Definitely a great system for Os and a great find for me personally. Ori Hofmekler is a genius.

It is not catabolic. The small amount of fruits and veggies during the day prevents a rise in cortisol thus blocking any potentially catabolic effects. Cortisol is more of a problem for blood type As of course.....
What is the scientific evidence of this...cite a valid source please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss