Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
i want my old body back
No you don't.

If you did want it back you'd have it. Even if you got it, you probably won't keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,275,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No you don't.

If you did want it back you'd have it. Even if you got it, you probably won't keep it.
Havin' a little trouble keepin' the weight off yourself Charles? You seem a bit obsessed with this topic. It's okay - switch to low carb and you won't feel that hunger that's probably always gnawing at you. Easy to get back on the wagon if you fall off.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Havin' a little trouble keepin' the weight off yourself Charles?

You seem a bit obsessed with this topic. It's okay - switch to low carb and you won't feel that hunger that's probably always gnawing at you. Easy to get back on the wagon if you fall off.
Who doesn't?

However what I do find interesting (but not obsessed) are opinions that any more than maybe 5% of people who lose weight won't put it back on.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 AM

541 posts, read 2,139,515 times
I guess I fall into that 5% - 8 years later and still maintaining a 115 lb weight loss. I'm 50 years old, 5'3 ~ 125 lbs. Cardio, weight training and eating healthy will do the trick. To be successful and keep the weight off for good, you need to make lifestyle changes. Anyone can lose weight, but to keep it off takes a change in how you view food and exercise.

Best wishes!

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Who doesn't?

However what I do find interesting (but not obsessed) are opinions that any more than maybe 5% of people who lose weight won't put it back on.
What's amazing about that is that it actually takes a relatively long time to put it back on. If you weigh yourself regularly, you should see what's happening and take steps to head it off. I'll bet as the populace switches from low-fat to controlled carbs you'll see the recidivism rate drop. People often give up because they don't like being hungry all the time, an unfortunate side effect of low-fat diets.

I agree with Seattleite61 that you need to consider it a lifestyle change, not a one-off diet experience where you return to bad habits once you reach your goal. Also, as you age you really need to keep exercising to counter the metabolic effects of aging. Anyone in reasonably good health should at least be able to walk a few miles a day.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-03-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,508,547 times
See, that is the evidence right there. That guy is most likely loaded!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
What's amazing about that is that it actually takes a relatively long time to put it back on.

as you age you really need to keep exercising to counter the metabolic effects of aging. Anyone in reasonably good health should at least be able to walk a few miles a day.
The weight will go back on a lot faster than it came off.

Exercise has almost nothing to do with weight control.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Get rich!! Rich men don't need looks to get hot girl friends. You get what you can afford so to say..

This one gets right to the point. Most good looking chicks will go with you if you have enough gold.......look at Hugh H, do you think the hot chick are with him because he is great looking and has a large Salami....................nope, he has mucho bucks.

Just work at getting rich.......then you can still enjoy the yummyosity of rich, decadant food and still get the hot chicks.

Last edited by tickyul; 07-03-2011 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
The weight will go back on a lot faster than it came off.

Exercise has almost nothing to do with weight control.
I disagree that it will go back on that fast unless the person just goes hog wild. However, you can keep it off permanently by changing bad habits like booze and sugar consumption. Exercise, particularly cardio, can increase the metabolic effect in older people not to mention it's good for your heart and has psychological benefits.

You sound like you're rationalizing giving up. How sad for someone of your relative youth.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I disagree that it will go back on that fast unless the person just goes hog wild. However, you can keep it off permanently by changing bad habits like booze and sugar consumption. Exercise, particularly cardio, can increase the metabolic effect in older people not to mention it's good for your heart and has psychological benefits.

You sound like you're rationalizing giving up. How sad for someone of your relative youth.
I can't give up - it's too unhealthy. I don't give up discarding dreamy, unrealistic advice either.

Anybody can keep it off regularly if they follow the HMD diet. If you're losing weight, you're on the HMD. If you can do that for the rest of your life then you'll be 1 in 20.

Exercise is a requirement everyone should do but don't be fooled that exercise helps that much. It all comes down to food willpower. If you don't exercise, you're less hungry but to lose weight you need willpower. (People don't just stop liking pizza and ice cream. "Changing your eating habits" is a euphemism for deprivation.) If you exercise you'll burn more calories but you'll still require food willpower. For every five calories you burn, you become six calories hungrier.

You think thin people who exercise will suddenly put on lots of weight if they quit exercising? Ever notice the people at the gym don't change much? You know, that overweight gal whose been on that elliptical for four years? (She's on the elliptical next to the thin woman who walks at 3MPH not breaking a sweat while reading a book.) Or how about the thin guy that never exercises (like 80% of guys) yet he stays pretty thin?

I've been doing cardio 140-160 bpm four to five times a week for 40 years. My current weekly lunchtime routine is swim (outdoors all year around) 2000 yards Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and play full court basketball for 60 minutes Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weekends are working around the house or if convenient a bike ride or a walk. Guess what, all that exercise is practically irrelevant for controlling weight. If I don't work out for some reason, I am a lot less hungry and I eat proportionately less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss