Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you don't exercise, you're less hungry but to lose weight you need willpower. (People don't just stop liking pizza and ice cream. "Changing your eating habits" is a euphemism for deprivation.) .
Actually I like the things I'm able to eat more of on a controlled carb diet, like a big juicy steak, than all the starchy and sugary stuff I'm eating less of, like rice and potatoes. Some things you can alter slightly and still enjoy nearly as much. For example, I make my own ice cream now and just use fruit instead of adding sugar. I still enjoy pizza once in awhile but make it very thin crust and eat a salad with it so I have one slice instead of two. I don't feel deprived just more conscious of putting more of one thing in my mouth and less of something else. I didn't eat a full breakfast before but now I do. This morning I'm having a delicious crustless savory cheesecake made with eggs, cream cheese, jarlsberg, ham and green onions. Does that sound like deprivation? I'm eating just as much as before (at least as I perceive it) but losing very effectively.

Low-fat is HMD, controlled carb not so much.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-04-2011 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
26yo
5'11 ht
225 lbs
38 waist

want to be: <200 and 32inch waist, i dont want to get any bigger, just smaller

Hey man, I had similar stats to you

25yo
5'10"
38 waist

I'm down to 199, 36 waist in about 2 and a half months. Done only with Low Carbs... Just saying, its easy, and if it works for you its a real eye opener on how easy it is too keep the weight under control. Not saying it'll work... but its worth trying

Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
You don't have to be 165 to get in size 32 pants. I'm around 175 and all my pants lately have been size 30s. My 32s are like very baggy jeans now.
As far as motivation, that can usually only come from within. All the rest of us can do is give you facts. The one I'll offer is that the OP is lucky to be realizing this issue now. Wait until you're 30 or older and it gets a lot harder. Simply eliminate wasted calories and write down what you eat. I consider wasted calories to be anything you get calories from without any real benefit, like a can of Coke. Yeah, it might taste good, but is it really worth 150 or more calories? Saying no to that question will take a lot of weight off quickly. Reducing carbs and increasing low-fat protein also quickly gets rid of fat. One gram of fat gives you 9 calories while one gram of protein only has 4. That math is simple, even though some will tell you that eating fat won't hurt you at all and may be a benefit. It obviously isn't..

Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
See, that is the evidence right there. That guy is most likely loaded!
Or he has a hawg leg.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
even though some will tell you that eating fat won't hurt you at all and may be a benefit. It obviously isn't..
In your opinion it isnt... but I can tell you that in my own experience, with my own body thats not the case. Keeping my fat intake up a bit higher is helpful to me, because it keeps me fuller longer. It may be different for others, but what might be "obvious" to you, may not be the truth for others.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 AM

You can do whatever you want, but I'm sticking with the simple math on this one. Does that fat make you more than twice as full? I've never met one that did..

Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
In your opinion it isnt... but I can tell you that in my own experience, with my own body thats not the case. Keeping my fat intake up a bit higher is helpful to me, because it keeps me fuller longer. It may be different for others, but what might be "obvious" to you, may not be the truth for others.

Its very true. It works for me too when I don't exercise and want to keep the weight off.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
You can do whatever you want, but I'm sticking with the simple math on this one. Does that fat make you more than twice as full? I've never met one that did..
Seems to work somehow. I'm in my 50s and am losing about 3 pounds a week on a high fat/low carb program. I wouldn't want to lose any faster than that, even if I could.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I can't give up - it's too unhealthy. I don't give up discarding dreamy, unrealistic advice either.

Anybody can keep it off regularly if they follow the HMD diet. If you're losing weight, you're on the HMD. If you can do that for the rest of your life then you'll be 1 in 20.

Exercise is a requirement everyone should do but don't be fooled that exercise helps that much. It all comes down to food willpower. If you don't exercise, you're less hungry but to lose weight you need willpower. (People don't just stop liking pizza and ice cream. "Changing your eating habits" is a euphemism for deprivation.) If you exercise you'll burn more calories but you'll still require food willpower. For every five calories you burn, you become six calories hungrier.

You think thin people who exercise will suddenly put on lots of weight if they quit exercising? Ever notice the people at the gym don't change much? You know, that overweight gal whose been on that elliptical for four years? (She's on the elliptical next to the thin woman who walks at 3MPH not breaking a sweat while reading a book.) Or how about the thin guy that never exercises (like 80% of guys) yet he stays pretty thin?

I've been doing cardio 140-160 bpm four to five times a week for 40 years. My current weekly lunchtime routine is swim (outdoors all year around) 2000 yards Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and play full court basketball for 60 minutes Tuesdays and Thursdays. Weekends are working around the house or if convenient a bike ride or a walk. Guess what, all that exercise is practically irrelevant for controlling weight. If I don't work out for some reason, I am a lot less hungry and I eat proportionately less.

You should consider signing up for the ridiculously named "21 day challenge" with My Fit Foods. It will seem very expensive, but you will drop your grocery/alcohol/eating out bills for those 21 days so you're probably not going to see much difference in your bottom line. I went from a strong-but-carrying-too-much-fat 263 down to a "playing weight" 248 in that time. Seeing how fast the results are when you are not drinking alcohol with the meals, how easy it actually is to eat 5 smaller meals per day, learning what a volume of food that is satisfying looks like, that you don't need to eat until you're full, that you don't really miss soft drinks and that you do have control of your body is a good experience for someone who is feeling a little down over his self-image. They will try to sell you a line of goods that leans too much to the naturopathy/witchcraft end of the spectrum for my taste (I seriously, seriously doubt that drinking slightly alkaline water reduces my chances of growing cancer cells and that soft drinks are terrible because they acidify your body. If that's the case why are you trying to get me to drink cranberry juice, lemon juice and cider vinegar every morning? By the way, why in God's name do you think drinking that would cleanse my liver?) but the meal composition is sound and the calorie requirement calculations (while I think they aim a little low) are appropriate.

Also, you're right that running a few miles is not going to burn off an ice cream binge, but staying fit, strong and active does have a very appreciable impact on quality of life as far as how much you can eat and how much you can cheat are concerned. If you lead a sedentary life your calorie threshold can be as much as 1,000 calories per day lower than someone who is getting enough exercise.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM

I'll ask my bariatric surgeon and nutritionist what they think about that when I see them in September, even though I already know the answer.. hopefully all the fat supporters are getting their blood checked frequently. I've had mine done four times over the past year, so I know my method is working just fine. I'm basically a 44 year old enjoying the health and body of a teenager and that was off a low carb AND low fat diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss