Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:28 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
To get to a 32 waist you're probably going to need to drop about 60 pounds.

I disagree with this for the most part but keep in mind that everyone is built different. If you carry all you weight around your waist then it will take you longer.

I myself am 6'1" and currently 225lbs. I was at 255lbs and wearing a size 36 in jeans. I dropped 30 lbs and I'm now wearing 34's that fit loose. 33's are a better fit but harder to find so I just stick with the 34's and a belt.

I personally didn't do anything fancy to lose the weight. I stopped eating fast food altogether. Just decided one day I wasn't going to do it anymore and stopped. I also cut out all bread and potatoes. Chips, dips and candy was next. I concentrated on eating small portions of chicken, turkey and Fish ( I hate fish so this was hard). When we ate out I bought the small portion and asked for a side salad or veggies. I do occasionally still eat steak but I just order the smallest portion.

Another thing I learned is I had to start saying no when people wanted to to offer me food etc. My GF is really bad at this. We'll be driving and she'll see a sign for McDonald's latest whatever and want to stop or say something like we should stop and get Ice Cream for desert tomorrow etc etc... It's hard to say no to these things as I want to keep her happy but.......

You'll also want to drink tons of water. I was drinking 2 large bottles (24oz) a day and found that it was no where near enough. I upped that to 4 bottles a day then eventually 5 per day. I found that I was no longer hungry all the time and felt remarkably better after the first 10 lbs.

One last piece of advise is switch things up at least weekly. If you excercise then break up the routine. If you go 3 times a week skip the gym for week and simply walk or bike. Same goes with the food. Change it up every week or you will get bored and give up.

All told it took me 6 months to drop 30 lbs but I've kept it off for over a year and not gained back a single pound. I've been happy with my weight for a while but Im ready to take it to the next level so I'll be back on the diet again next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:50 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'll ask my bariatric surgeon and nutritionist what they think about that when I see them in September, even though I already know the answer.. hopefully all the fat supporters are getting their blood checked frequently. I've had mine done four times over the past year, so I know my method is working just fine. I'm basically a 44 year old enjoying the health and body of a teenager and that was off a low carb AND low fat diet.

I am, and all of my levels improved....

I know whats working for me, you know whats working for you... thats enough for me.

I feel, people should try things out for themselves. Not everyone needs a low carb diet, and not everyone needs a low fat diet. Figure out what works for you.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You should consider signing up for the ridiculously named "21 day challenge" with My Fit Foods. It will seem very expensive, but you will drop your grocery/alcohol/eating out bills for those 21 days so you're probably not going to see much difference in your bottom line. I went from a strong-but-carrying-too-much-fat 263 down to a "playing weight" 248 in that time. Seeing how fast the results are when you are not drinking alcohol with the meals, how easy it actually is to eat 5 smaller meals per day, learning what a volume of food that is satisfying looks like, that you don't need to eat until you're full, that you don't really miss soft drinks and that you do have control of your body is a good experience for someone who is feeling a little down over his self-image. They will try to sell you a line of goods that leans too much to the naturopathy/witchcraft end of the spectrum for my taste (I seriously, seriously doubt that drinking slightly alkaline water reduces my chances of growing cancer cells and that soft drinks are terrible because they acidify your body. If that's the case why are you trying to get me to drink cranberry juice, lemon juice and cider vinegar every morning? By the way, why in God's name do you think drinking that would cleanse my liver?) but the meal composition is sound and the calorie requirement calculations (while I think they aim a little low) are appropriate.

Also, you're right that running a few miles is not going to burn off an ice cream binge, but staying fit, strong and active does have a very appreciable impact on quality of life as far as how much you can eat and how much you can cheat are concerned. If you lead a sedentary life your calorie threshold can be as much as 1,000 calories per day lower than someone who is getting enough exercise.
I just realized that Snap Kitchen and My Fit Foods are Texas only.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Get rich!! Rich men don't need looks to get hot girl friends. You get what you can afford so to say..
So you would be okay to marry a girl that's only with you for the money?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
So you would be okay to marry a girl that's only with you for the money?

Ummmm.... Don't they all just want you for your money

Kidding ladies..

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 34,457 times
Get rich and you'll get whatever you want..

Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
i used to be really attractive, now people tell me if i lost weight i'd be really attractive

i want a hot girlfriend, so i guess it is only fair if i am in shape too right?

how can i get motivation to do this? i want my old body back

im tired of now having energy, being fat and not having confidence to approach women because of it.

please help

stop eating and being lazy...

Old 07-06-2011, 01:39 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
26yo
5'11 ht
225 lbs
38 waist

want to be: <200 and 32inch waist, i dont want to get any bigger, just smaller
Hey dude. I'm 24 and had the EXACT same stats that you had. I am 5'11", but I was 225 and had a 38" waste. We must have the same frame and everything. I'm down to 185 now. It took about 7 months but it was worth it. Message me if you'd like.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Hey dude. I'm 24 and had the EXACT same stats that you had. I am 5'11", but I was 225 and had a 38" waste. We must have the same frame and everything. I'm down to 185 now. It took about 7 months but it was worth it. Message me if you'd like.
What's your waist size now? I'll guess 34.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What's your waist size now? I'll guess 34.
33" but that's waist size on my new clothes. Still trying to get to 175
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss