Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Unfortunately Big Agriculture has more to do with that than scientific research. The corn and wheat farmers in the Midwest have a lot more clout than the livestock growers.

the livestock and dairy industries have huge clout. And, BTW, much (most?) corn is fed to livestock - those lobbies work together for the most part.

the reasons for improving the unsat fat vs sat fat ratio, and for eating fibers including whole grains, ARE based on science.

and once again, the success of many folks on Atkins does NOT address the optimal balance for people who are NOT on a ketogenic diet plan, and is really not relevant to the standard dietary recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Glad it works for you. I do low fat.........yikes.............I am constantly hungry.

I dont understand why ANYONE would do "low fat" In order to optimize my sat fat/unsat ratio, I find it necessary to consciously make an effort to eat more unsat fat. Olive oil, nuts, high fat fishes like salmon, etc.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
As others have said, it's not "no carb", it's "low carb".

I would choose low carb over low fat.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I would choose low carb over low fat.

The other day my DW was talking to someone (overweight) who said she had tried no carb, and failed.

If there are folks out there who sabotage their attempts to lose weight via good restricted calorie approaches, balanced approaches by misinterpreting them as lowfat/high carb, there are ALSO folks who misintrepret low carb as no carb (or at least no carbs other than veggies). BOTH approaches have their typical misinterpretations.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes!!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
I say whatever works for others, is aweome, but it may not work for the todays` traditions.
This thread is basically to share ideas, and not down grate anyone else...afterall, we are all in it for the same reason.
If we aren`t, then they need to go jump on a diffrent thread. lol

Thanks for changing my title!!

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 08-01-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 07:47 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I say whatever works for others, is aweome, but it may not work for the todays` traditions.
This thread is basically to share ideas, and not down grate anyone else...afterall, we are all in it for the same reason.
If we aren`t, then they need to go jump on a diffrent thread. lol

Thanks for changing my title!!
Right on, you nailed it.

I would love to be able to switch off between eating low fat/high carb and moderate fat/moderate protein/moderate carbs............those plans that I would like to do just don't make me feel as good as a high fat/moderate protein/low carb diet.

Some people do great on diets that others fell terrible on. To each his own.........as long as it is not VEGAN.........just joking..........kinda.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Right on, you nailed it.

I would love to be able to switch off between eating low fat/high carb
Not to diss you, or judge what works for you, but WHY? Why would you ever choose low fat/high carb over say, moderate consumption of all the macronutrients? Given that MUFAs and PUFAs are so crucial to avoiding CVD? I mean if there was a good solid reason for a true low fat diet, I could see it. But to find an example of a popular low fat diet/high carb diet folks have had to reach back to the 1980s and Pritikin. As far as I can tell, the constant discussion of low fat/high carb diets here serves only as a strawman, to avoid the real alternatives to low carb diets - which are balanced calorie restricted diets.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
But to find an example of a popular low fat diet/high carb diet folks have had to reach back to the 1980s and Pritikin.
Okay, now I'm really feeling old.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
For me, I never really lost any weight doing low fat diets.... a while ago, I did Atkins and lost weight pretty easily. I've been getting lack on the bread,rice and potatoes lately and my weight is picking back up. I think Atkins gets the bad rap from people not understanding the introductory phase being so restrictive. Later stages bring in more carbs and more variety.

I think I makes sense to try and avoid "processed" foods whether you do low fat or low carb. Things like sugars and pre-made meals.... those things are full of garbage, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss