Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,803,843 times

Advertisements

Guess it wasn't the Pritikin. I want to say this had to've been back in the mid-late 1970's, since that was the last time I lived home for any significant length of time and I did this with my mom, mostly in support of her and not because I needed to lose weight (at 17, and 5'2" I weighed around 115-120 and was physically active with figure skating and bicycling).

There was also the Ayds diet, but I gained weight on that too because I loved those little candies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:02 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think low fat diets are harmful. I just think they can be difficult for people to follow and stick with. I also have no issue with WW as I know a lot of folks who do well with it. Sorry if I made a bad comparison.

I dont know if low fat diets are harmful or not. I believe strongly that lowering one's ratio of Sat Fat to MUFA/PUFA is beneficial for most people (though it may not be the best approach for someone currently achieving success on Atkins). And that to suggest not worrying about Sat Fat consumption, to anyone with a blood cholesterol issue who is NOT actually on program like atkins (AND following it correctly and successfully) is irresponsible.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Instead making it either or, I find it beneficial to pay more attention to the TYPE of fats and carbs. Try to severely limit or eliminate saturated fats and get more monounsaturated fats and omega-3's (as mentioned in a post above). For carbs, get rid of the processed carbs, white flours, sugars, etc. No donuts or sugared cereals! Focus on whole grains, particularly oats and rye, and veggies.
Uh, eliminate a natural source of fat that man has eaten for thousand if not millions of years........in exchange for fats that man has traditionally eaten in low quantities.....nope, not me.....bring on the hog rinds. Omega 3...yes, I agree.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Neither really, but if I HAD to choose, I would choose low fat. Carbs are absolutely essential to those who are active and exercise regularly. The thing is, it MUST be good carbs and not bleached empty carbs like white rice and white pastas. Wheat pastas and brown rice are the way to go.

Wheat....as in whole wheat makes me feel sick and I will mess my panties......not good for me. White flour goes down fine. Rice is my best carb......whole grain goes down great.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Does anyone do Pritikin anymore? It was a pretty effective low fat program in the 80s.

Yuck, yuck and double yuck. I do mainly Atkins. But if I eat too much protein and low fat I end up feeling kinda sick. I think that high levels of protein are too much of a load for my system, hard on my kidneys too. Fat goes down really good. Carbs........yikes.......they are a problem for me.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
low calorie
Really.......I go on a low calorie diet and I have constant visions of MURDERCIDE......must have at least 2000 calories a day.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
^

To be fair people mischaracterize low carb/ketogenic diets as well. The purpose of a low carb diet is to put you in a state of ketosis so that your appetite is supressed. I average about 1500-1800 calories a day on a ketogenic diet. Being on a ketogenic diet doesn't give you the free reign to eat a pound of bacon for breakfast.
Speak for yourself. A pound of raw bacon usually cooks down to about 70% of the original weight. So .70*16=11.2, 11 ounces of baconalicious food is not out of line for a keto diet......low in carb and moderate in protein.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Speak for yourself. A pound of raw bacon usually cooks down to about 70% of the original weight. So .70*16=11.2, 11 ounces of baconalicious food is not out of line for a keto diet......low in carb and moderate in protein.
I was a regular bacon eater but cut way back after reading about the link between nitrites and colon cancer. That bad stuff's found in almost all process meat so probably good to limit how much of that you consume. Atkins advises against eating processed meats, probably for good reason.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,571,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Uh, eliminate a natural source of fat that man has eaten for thousand if not millions of years........in exchange for fats that man has traditionally eaten in low quantities.....nope, not me.....bring on the hog rinds. Omega 3...yes, I agree.

saturated fat and unsat fat are not SOURCES of fat, they are TYPES of fat. Meat, for example is a source of fat.

the meat people ate for thousands of years was hunted, not farm raised. There is IIUC, considerable evidence that farm raised meat, esp from animals fed modern feeds, is much higher in sat fat than hunted animals are/were.

In addition many sources of sat fat do NOT go back millions of years - full fat dairy products, for example.

And of course we have been eating seeds and nuts for millions of years, and they are fat sources that are high in unsat fat. There is considerable debate over how much hunting vs how much gathering preag man actually did

man the hunter hypothesis - Google Search

In summary, the advice to try to eat a high ratio of unsat fats to sat fats, is well supported in numerous studies, and AFAICT does not contradict any sound reasoning from preagricultural diet (aside from my usual caveats that pre ag diets need to be seen in context of a full pre ag lifestyle, and that the possibility of physical changes in man over the last 10,000 years need to be considered as well).

But of course - if someone is having weight loss success with a diet high in sat fats, it would be irresponsible to suggest they change - since weight loss itself probably has more impact on CVD and other health issues than the sat fat/unsat fat ratio.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I was a regular bacon eater but cut way back after reading about the link between nitrites and colon cancer. That bad stuff's found in almost all process meat so probably good to limit how much of that you consume. Atkins advises against eating processed meats, probably for good reason.
Ack, everything nowadays causes cancer. If I eat bacon what should I do.....worry about another source of cancer in my life???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss