Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn dad, you misunderstood my intentions. The title of this thread asked which way of eating do participants prefer, low fat or no carb. I expressed my opinion for my preference and why.

There was no intention or desire to presume to try and convince you or anyone else of anything. You asked me a question. I answered you.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-29-2011 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Could it be the higher proportion of foods prepared by someone else that's driving this? I'm thinking that people now eat a lot more take-out, delivery, fast food, and sit-down restaurant meals than they did 30-40 years ago. A major reason I'm able to lose weight I believe is I make just about all my own meals from scratch.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Brooklyn dad, you misunderstood my intentions. The title of this thread asked which way of eating do participants prefer, low fat or no carb. I expressed my opinion for my preference and why.

There was no intention or desire to presume to try and convince you or anyone else of anything. You asked me a question. I answered you.

Best of luck to you.
I didnt ask the question, Im not the OP. In fact I think the OPs q represents a false choice - a strawman if you will. Low carb people are constantly contrasting their approach to "low fat". But in reality TODAY, the principle alternative approach to low carb is calorie restricted plans of one sort or another, of which by far the most popular is weight watchers - and it restricts ALL calories, not fat in particular. And the folks at the heart association allegedly demonizing fat for its connection to CVD, in fact focus on the RATIOs of sat and unsat fat, and mostly advocate HIGHER consumption of "good" fats.

Of course you can and should post about what you prefer. I would not contest what you say about yourself. However you cited a "study" showing the cause of obesity. Thats not a question of preference, its a question of causality. I merely showed why that study was misleading. That does not mean low carb can't be a great approach for particular individuals.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Could it be the higher proportion of foods prepared by someone else that's driving this? I'm thinking that people now eat a lot more take-out, delivery, fast food, and sit-down restaurant meals than they did 30-40 years ago. A major reason I'm able to lose weight I believe is I make just about all my own meals from scratch.

It could be a great many things

in addition to obvious ones like eating more and moving less, there are some not so obvious ones

Study Suggests 10 New Obesity Causes - CBS News

altogether too complex a matter to use historical post hoc ergo propter hoc arguments to make cases about particular mixes of foods.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Perhaps fat consumption just shifted from natural sources as in meat to less obvious ones like those in processed foods. Keep in mind also that pizza and Mexican food have become much more popular in that time, both containing quite a bit of fat (and carbs). Sugar consumption has also increased significantly. People are just eating a lot more junk now.

On reflection I think its also a shift in the mix of carbs. Less bread, more potatoes, and as you note, more sugar. Not all carbs are equal.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 PM

this from wiki

T"he primary sources of these extra carbohydrates are sweetened beverages, which now account for almost 25 percent of daily food energy in young adults in America,"

25%!!!!! thats flabbergasting.

Fat aint the enemy. And neither are carbs from veggies, fresh fruit, whole grains, or even white rice. Nor is it low fat dairy products.

its sweetened drinks.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
this from wiki

T"he primary sources of these extra carbohydrates are sweetened beverages, which now account for almost 25 percent of daily food energy in young adults in America,"

25%!!!!! thats flabbergasting.

Fat aint the enemy. And neither are carbs from veggies, fresh fruit, whole grains, or even white rice. Nor is it low fat dairy products.

its sweetened drinks.
I think you've got a winner there. They've even managed to turn many peoples' morning coffee into dessert.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
A non-snarky-trying-to-learn question for those of you on no carb diets:

How does it affect your cholesterol levels?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A non-snarky-trying-to-learn question for those of you on no carb diets:

How does it affect your cholesterol levels?
On a low-carb diet, my cholesterol dropped from 227 to 165 in three months, and my ratios also improved. HDL went up, LDL went down.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
what push? The low fat high carb strawman again?

There is no scientific evidence that I am aware of that one macronutrient is better at being filling or reducing cravings than any other. The success that some on Atkins have had is when they are on a ketogenic diet, following atkins various rules (including suggestions on eating vegetables, etc) Since the average person in 1977, even if eating less carbs, was NOT on an atkins like diet, you cannot generalize from the experience of folks on Atkins to the causes of the obesity epidemic.

I would say that sitting in front of the TV, having already established a mental association between tv watching and eating, plus ads for junk foods, etc could well explain cravings. I dont have any particular proof of that to hand - but then you have no proof that its carbs.
The Federal Government (aka Big Brother) has been prodding Amerita*ds to lower their consumption of fat and increase HEALTHY carbs.

Look at the foods pyramind or whatever scam they call it now. Junk oils and foods high in carbs are way ahead of that nasty ole meat. 1-2 servings of eggs a day..........and 4-6 of whole grains..............hahaha, stupid stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss